Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 08:46 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,619,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Someone didn't watch the video. It gave several reasons. The number one reason: it is the law. Another reason: safety. There's more. Watch it.
For safety reasons, i'm not going to move into a slow lane just to have to pass again 5 seconds latter to get around a semi. The person in the fast lane behind me can wait for me to pass the line of slow cars that I am passing.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:49 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,253,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
For safety reasons, i'm not going to move into a slow lane just to have to pass again 5 seconds latter to get around a semi. The person in the fast lane behind me can wait for me to pass the line of slow cars that I am passing.
If your passing people you are fine staying in the left hand lane. The second there is on one left to pass, you move over when it's safe

Old 08-29-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
I really don't think 80 in a 60 vs someone "wanting to do 105 in a 60" is really that common, more like it's the guy doing 70 in a 60 who won't move over for someone who wants to do 75.
I agree it is very uncommon that people want to go 105 in a 65. But from my experience, quite a few people seem to want to go 85 in a 65. For me it is annoying because as i stated before, 80+ is asking for a speeding ticket. And when they tailgate and expect you to move over right away, all while you are easily going 5mph faster than the right lane yourself, it is annoying.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:59 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I agree it is very uncommon that people want to go 105 in a 65. But from my experience, quite a few people seem to want to go 85 in a 65. For me it is annoying because as i stated before, 80+ is asking for a speeding ticket. And when they tailgate and expect you to move over right away, all while you are easily going 5mph faster than the right lane yourself, it is annoying.
Everyone needs to use some common sense and bouncing from lane to lane is not safe either. This is where speed limits play a factor in causing accidents, perhaps the right lane is going to slow for you but you are afraid of getting a ticket to keep up with traffic in the left lane or speeding it up a little to get ahead of that truck so you can mover over quicker.

If it were up to me we would be eliminating speed limits for many stretches on the Interstate, create a reasonable minimum of 50 or 55 and focus on ticketing unsafe driving practices. Those would include tailgating, passing on the right and hogging the left lane. We'd all get where we were going faster and safer.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Everyone needs to use some common sense and bouncing from lane to lane is not safe either. This is where speed limits play a factor in causing accidents, perhaps the right lane is going to slow for you but you are afraid of getting a ticket to keep up with traffic in the left lane or speeding it up a little to get ahead of that truck so you can mover over quicker.

If it were up to me we would be eliminating speed limits for many stretches on the Interstate, create a reasonable minimum of 50 or 55 and focus on ticketing unsafe driving practices. Those would include tailgating, passing on the right and hogging the left lane. We'd all get where we were going faster and safer.
I agree, speed limits should not be as much a factor in tickets as unsafe driving. Perhaps this is happening more with more and more people seemingly happy to drive over 80mph in a 65. Maybe law enforcment is only looking for those going way faster than the flow of traffic and not those exceeding the speed limit by 15mph.

But again, my experience is that I can go 13-14 mph over the limit all day without worry. But 15-18 mph over and open myself up to a possible ticket. Maybe i can start testing the limit again.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:09 AM

531 posts, read 384,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
Ha! So it's already happened to you! Wow. karma is real, people. ^^^^^ Proof.
If thats karma then id really like more of that to happen to me. Got a new car and a nice settlement check from that incident. Better keep doing what Ive been doing to get more of this good karma.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:32 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,687,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
So, you're advocating breaking one law in order to follow another? Indeed, as others have mentioned, the law also generally states that the left lane is for passing/faster vehicles. Also, the video explained perfectly well how attitudes like yours are actually causing more accidents out on the roads. But, if you can live with that, so be it.

Moving on, if you're in a state where the right lane is explicitly for passing, your excuse of going the speed limit won't save you in any court of law; although, you're plan would almost certainly go a ways to lining the pockets of some greedy attorney. In such cases, the police would be well within their rights to stop/ticket you for not moving over to allow faster vehicles to pass. And, like it or not, police officers are not required to enforce all laws equally/evenly. It would be one thing if you were being asked to break the law in order to accommodate other vehicles, but that's far from the case. No, you're being asked to move to the right to let others pass (these others may be breaking the law in speeding, but you're not if all you're doing is moving to the right and not otherwise doing anything wrong yourself). In other words, you're being asked to follow the law!
That video and all like it are obviously made by leadfoots who want to speed.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Not the cops, often I see a cop flying down the highway on the left lane at 80-90mph. He'll be right on your rear if you don't pull over to the side. Speed limits are for folks other than cops.
Had a cop behind me a bit ago and i wouldnt move for him so he got in the right lane and passed me. I didnt get pulled over.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Speed is not what causes accidents, poor driving habits that disrupt the flow of traffic like camping in the left lane do. You are not going to stop people from speeding and it's not your job anyway.

If you did this on the Autobahn you would be ticketed, these laws are strictly enforced on those roads. Speed limit or no speed limit it's the safest way to drive. Don't try justifying your actions because you think you are preventing accidents because you are not, if anything you will be factor in causing them.
No, idiots who want to stomp on the gas and roar past everyone while they act like pissed off lunatics cause accidents.
Im not in Germany and i dont care what they do there. Move to Germany if you want to speed, dont bring your autobahn mentality over here.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SereneSage View Post
I'd like to see you try and "refuse" to let me pass you. Really. See how well that works out for you.
Right back at ya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive