Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 09:42 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
So true. It's always funny when you see someone camping out in the left lane. Like, you really think you can keep that up for the next hour? Good luck, buddy. Sooner or later I will pass you and when I do it's going to be even sweeter/funnier for me. If someone moves over to the right lane they get a wave and good vibes from me, if you want to purposefully try to block me... well, we'll see how successful you'll be. LOL.
Lol ive got nowhere to be, my destination isnt going anywhere. I could be doing 20 and it wouldnt bother me at all.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Can I ask why you believe YOU should be the one to judge and dictate how fast people should be driving on the highway? Isn't that the job of the police and the government to decide? Why should you as a private citizen be allowed to take it upon yourself to make that decision for other people and putting them not only at an inconvenience, but potentially in danger by having to switch lanes to the right to pass you?

Also simply driving fast isn't really all that dangerous on the highway to begin with. Driving at 80-90 or even 100mph isn't all that different than driving at 60mph if you're mostly driving in a straight line. There are many other drivers out there that are much, MUCH more dangerous than speeders like drunk drivers, distracted drivers, drivers who weave in and out of traffic etc. that driving fast on a highway is probably pretty low on the list of dangerous things you have to look for on the roads.

To me I don't know why its such a big deal for people who want to drive at the speed limit to simply not drive in the left lane. Some people like to drive fast and some don't and there's room on the highway for both kinds of drivers. Why can't people like you accept that and simply drive in the middle or right lane and not worry about us left lane drivers who want to go faster?

And personally I wish law makers would reconsider speed limits so that the left lane could be at least 80-90mph while the other lanes can be at say 70mph. That way people who want to drive in the left lane to go faster and to pass can do so without 'breaking the law' while those who want to drive slower can do so at 70mph and also not break the law and then everyone is happier. Those who don't want to drive fast don't have to and those that do want to drive faster can and neither group would be breaking any laws.
That speed limit sign makes the decision I just make sure its followed just like i make sure people dont steal from the store, walk into an establishment with no shirt or shoes, talk loudly in a library, etc.
You can tell me that letting people speed will end poverty and world hunger and i wont care, i will still do the speed limit no matter what lane im in. Now they can ticket me for impeding but i guarandamntee i wont get a speeding ticket.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:01 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,660,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
why?

if you are 80 in a 60 and somebody wants to do 105 in a 60, why should you move. serious, why should people be allowed unlimited speed in the left lane. I could understand 55 in a 60 but if you are allready speeding or if the car ahead of you is slowing you , why should you have to move because somebody behind you want to go faster. why?

The video doesn't talk about you. It's talking about those who are going the speed limit while the slower lane is going faster than that. If the cars on the right are going faster than you, then move over!!!! But I seriously doubt that the flow of traffic will be 80mph

Old 08-29-2016, 10:10 AM

231 posts, read 226,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Lol ive got nowhere to be, my destination isnt going anywhere. I could be doing 20 and it wouldnt bother me at all.

If you are doing 20 on a highway you will definitely get pulled over, lol. And, if you are going to the trouble of trying to block someone... I mean... clearly you do care, whether you want to admit to that or not! It's also a lost cause- they are GOING to get around you- why go to the effort? It's absurd and does make me laugh. People are funny.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:11 AM

231 posts, read 226,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of virtue View Post
If thats karma then id really like more of that to happen to me. Got a new car and a nice settlement check from that incident. Better keep doing what Ive been doing to get more of this good karma.
Keep up what you're doing and you will get t-boned by a tractor trailer again, lol. You will have the karma for it.

I doubt anyone would wish that on their worst enemy... but hey, you've kept your chin up about it, and kudos for that.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:20 AM

531 posts, read 384,620 times
Quote:
Keep up what you're doing and you will get t-boned by a tractor trailer again, lol. You will have the karma for it.

I doubt anyone would wish that on their worst enemy... but hey, you've kept your chin up about it, and kudos for that.
Why wouldnt I keep my chin up about it? Not going to sit around and cry about it, and it turned out to be a good thing for me. If another semi driver falls asleep at the wheel and hits me like the last time, then Ill just welcome the financial gain.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:29 AM

33 posts, read 25,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Right back at ya
Great comeback. All I'm going to say is that I'm sure as heck NEVER going to let some wannabe police officer try and block me. You will never succeed, I want you to know that. I ALWAYS win.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
If you are doing 20 on a highway you will definitely get pulled over, lol. And, if you are going to the trouble of trying to block someone... I mean... clearly you do care, whether you want to admit to that or not! It's also a lost cause- they are GOING to get around you- why go to the effort? It's absurd and does make me laugh. People are funny.
My comment was that your revenge you spoke of could be driving at a snails pace in front of me not letting me pass. I say do it, i dont care. I live in a small rural town where we like to stop and smell the roses but new residents seem to want to scream about the left lane EVEN WHEN DRIVING DOWNTOWN!

Old 08-29-2016, 10:33 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
yep, its called impeding the flow of traffic.

What unlimited speed?? If someone is in the way, they are forced to go no faster than the person blocking the flow. If they are not in the way and its clear, what do you care?
Being in the way of someone who wants to go faster does not necessarily mean one is impeding the flow of traffic. That is a specific offense that has nothing to do with what lane you are using. The keep right law and the impeding traffic law are two separate laws.

Here is the law about impeding traffic in my state:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Title 29-A, §2075
1. Operation impeding movement of traffic. A person may not operate a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation of the motor vehicle or in compliance with law.
Under Maine law, a person is never guilty of impeding traffic for simply obeying the speed limit. N-E-V-E-R.

Here's the keep right law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Title 29-A, §2052
6. Ways with speed limit of 65 or more miles per hour. An operator driving on a limited-access way with a speed limit of 65 or more miles per hour is restricted in ordinary operation to the right-hand lane and may use adjacent lanes for overtaking and passing another vehicle, but must return to the right-hand lane at the earliest opportunity. This requirement does not apply to an authorized emergency vehicle, or to a vehicle otherwise directed by posted signs, a law enforcement officer or a highway maintenance crew.
The keep right law, in Maine, is only in effect on the highway, in areas where the speed limit is 65 or more*. The keep right law does not care what speed you are driving. You are to drive only in the right-hand lane unless overtaking.

I don't know why so many people here equate the two laws; they are not the same! To be guilty of impeding traffic, you have to be doing a lot worse than simply being in the way of someone who wants to go faster, and you would be guilty of it regardless of what lane you are in, whereas you can be guilty of failure to keep right even if you're not impeding anyone at all.

*They do, however, often post the "keep right except to pass" regulatory signs on secondary, undivided highways with lower speed limits. Usually when the road widens up a hill, and the passing lane lasts for a long distance. Shorter ones, however, get the "slower traffic keep right" sign. Heck, I've seen some that get both signs.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SereneSage View Post
Great comeback. All I'm going to say is that I'm sure as heck NEVER going to let some wannabe police officer try and block me. You will never succeed, I want you to know that. I ALWAYS win.
If im in the left, theres traffic in the right, im not flooring it for you. If im in the left and theres no traffic in the right then take a breath, calm down, get over and pass me. Lot less stressful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive