Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 08:19 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I think it is three separate people. Their lack of common sense is more common than you think. There's got to be many who just make up their own interpretations of the law and clog up the left lane because it happens in every state.
Sadly, this is true.

And they vote.

That explains a lot...

Old 08-29-2016, 10:53 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,711,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
If i get pulled over for breaking that sign i will gladly take the ticket, go before the judge, and ask when speed limit signs became null and void for the left lane, then i will take it to the Supreme Court if need be.
I drive the speed limit and refuse to let others speed because you never know what lives i may be saving by preventing some impatient speeder from plowing into them. Your home will be there, walmart doesnt close, and if youre running late for work then you should've left earlier.
Oh and we dont have those signs in our state except for 3 lane or more highways, so if youre on a 2 lane too bad for you if you want to speed.
if someone wants to go faster, get out of the way and stop blocking traffic, you don't get to decide how fast people drive, if someone wants to speed, i'm sure that a member of law enforcement will pay them a visit.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:32 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,499 times
A few comments on this discussion, not necessarily directed at any particular individual.

There are the laws of the state as they pertain to driving, and there are the rules of the road. Break the laws of the state while driving and you can be fined or have your right to drive suspended. Violate the rules of the road and you can end up dead or injured. Or you can just end up being the object of hatred, because your lack of courtesy is an insult to everyone else on the road. If there were no traffic laws, or no traffic law enforcement, then the rules of the road would apply.

One of those rules of the road is, on multi-lane highways, slower traffic stays left.

A popular bumper sticker is, "Share The Road." Specifically it means to share with bicyclists, or with motorcyclists. But generally it means to share with everyone. There are too many jerks, though, who will pass in the merging lanes or right at a gore point, or prevent others from merging, or block intersections or driveways, or impede traffic by driving slowly in the passing lane. They do not care that they are jerks; there are other words that could be used to describe them, but forum software does not permit us to use those words here.

The bad behavior that people display on the Internet, when they can hide behind a false name or an anonymous handle, is not that much different from what they do on the highways, when they do not acknowledge that the drivers of other cars are real people. If you insult people on the Internet -- what are they going to do about it! And if you insult them on the highway, by cutting in line or intentionally blocking them -- what are they going to do about it!

These jerks do not care if there are 10 or 20 or 50 cars behind them; they do not care if the #2 lane is equally congested, because people merge into that lane in hopes of getting around the slowpoke in the #1 lane. Just a few of these jerks can turn a trouble-free commute for hundreds or even thousands of people into an hour's-long trudge through stop-and-go gridlock -- made worse by all the fender-benders they cause. And yet they falsely allege that what they do makes the road safer.

Educating these road hogs does not seem to be the answer -- if it was, then showing them the video in the top post would have persuaded them to change their ways. I guess it is a personality flaw, which might be remedied by psychological therapy -- except these people are convinced that there is nothing wrong with them, only with everyone else.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:34 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
I saw this picture this morning. Sums it all up perfectly.

https://i.redd.it/dwa5017udfix.png

Old 08-30-2016, 06:36 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
my favorite is when you move over so they can merge and they get on the intestate and come all the way over, now they on your tail because you not moving quick enough, you cant get back into the slow lane because of all the merging traffic, or those that do 105 in heavy rain storms that you cant see twenty feet in front of you

Old 08-30-2016, 09:27 AM

33 posts, read 25,573 times
I don't really have any problem with people who go slow on the highway as long as they yield to faster traffic. Problem is, more often than not, they do not. Whether it is due to lack of awareness or psychological need to engage in vigilantism where one has no right to do so. Perhaps a police officer career would have been better in that regard for those posters.

I do find it humorous though the poster who boldly claimed they would "refuse" to let other drivers speed. [im personally hoping that those posts are just an act and the poster does not actually try that in real life] Not only is it not their place or duty to do so (vigilantism is criminalized in many states and in many cases can be reasonably interpreted as impersonating a law enforcement officer), hilariously enough, the poster believes they are making driving safer for all other traffic when in fact they are actually multiplying the likelihood of a pileup tenfold.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:07 AM

264 posts, read 250,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
One of those rules of the road is, on multi-lane highways, slower traffic stays left.
I think you meant right, not left...normally wouldn't point this out but a few people still seem confused.

Quote:
These jerks do not care if there are 10 or 20 or 50 cars behind them; they do not care if the #2 lane is equally congested, because people merge into that lane in hopes of getting around the slowpoke in the #1 lane. Just a few of these jerks can turn a trouble-free commute for hundreds or even thousands of people into an hour's-long trudge through stop-and-go gridlock -- made worse by all the fender-benders they cause. And yet they falsely allege that what they do makes the road safer.
Exactly this. One person slows down the natural flow of traffic and causes problems for everyone else. I see it a lot and already twice in the last two days.

Quote:
Educating these road hogs does not seem to be the answer -- if it was, then showing them the video in the top post would have persuaded them to change their ways. I guess it is a personality flaw, which might be remedied by psychological therapy -- except these people are convinced that there is nothing wrong with them, only with everyone else.
Personality flaw indeed.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:14 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambram View Post
This boils down to their basically being two types of people - those who are aware of their surroundings and those who are oblivious.

Those who are oblivious,

1. Sit in the left/passing lane (of course)
2. Talk on their cell phones in any situation
3. Block traffic trying to turn left out of a gas station in rush hour traffic 20 feet from a major intersection (instead of simply making a U turn 1/8 mile down the road).
3. Wear headphones at full volume while jogging (edit: outdoors, not treadmill)
4. Block supermarket aisles with themselves or their carts
5. and on and on and on.

People who are aware of their surroundings are simply not capable of most of the above behaviors.
Because when they were growing up they should have been slapped in the head by mom or dad when seen doing the above.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:51 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
It seems the only logical resolution to this is to create 2 new lanes on every road in the world. One for slow cars (make it as far left as possible) and one for cars that want to go 100+mph (next to the slow lane so they can flip off the slow lane).

Old 08-30-2016, 11:17 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,765,120 times
I was driving home yesterday at my normal 82MPH, and I was in the left-hand lane. I saw a car coming up behind me, moderately quickly, and my front bumper was at the back bumper of a car in the middle lane doing about 81.2MPH. Can anyone guess what madness ensued?

I sped up a tiny bit, passed the car in the middle lane and moved over, and the faster-moving driver proceeded on his (or her) merry way. The world did not end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive