Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 07:47 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
As far as I know, Lane 1 is the lane closest to the median. On a five lane highway, lane 1 is the left lane, lane 5 is the right lane, and lanes 2, 3, & 4 are the middle ones.
Theres 5 lane roads? Youre lucky to see a 3 in my area and thats near a big city. I might be more inclines to get over if i can on a monstrous road like that but on the typical 2 lane roads we have im staying put.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Woah there buddy! It was your moral duty to camp in the left lane at the precise speed limit and not permit the guy behind you to proceed! What kind of non-selfish driver are you for moving over for him like that?! You could have single-handedly mucked up traffic! What an opportunity!
We actually have police here that will ticket you for going 1over.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:48 PM

231 posts, read 226,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I not one of those retort with facts people, i just state how i feel. And how i feel is that if im driving down the road and someone wants to pass me they can get in the right lane and pass me, because the speed limit is the same in both lanes.
The slower traffic sign is for people who can't attain the posted speed limit, not those who do not drive as fast as you want them to. People hauling stuff, driving on spares, cars with transmission or engine problems....thats what was traditionally meant by slower traffic and that is what i adhere to.
For me, the speed limit trumps everything else. Speed limit 65 or 70, keep right except to pass, but do not drive above the speed limit. I'll get over if i can but if i cant youll just have to cry and deal.
Obeying the law isnt a choice or at least it shouldnt be. Maybe if you didnt know thats one thing but to blatantly defy it then thats something else.
You mean like one of those useful people that actually contribute to a thread instead of pointlessly giving their opinion that no one else cares about?

Never thought I'd see the day where someone on city data admits they are talking out of their butt.

But here we are.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
You mean like one of those useful people that actually contribute to a thread instead of pointlessly giving their opinion that no one else cares about?

Never thought I'd see the day where someone on city data admits they are talking out of their butt.

But here we are.
Ohhh so youre saying that only scientists or college professors or some such can post, but people with strong convictions cant. I see how it is. Next thing you know i will have to provide proof that i like chicken over steak or that i dont like rap because apparently stating how i feel is wrong to you.
Welcome to the Internet where we get to state our opinions no matter how much you personally dislike it.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:11 PM

231 posts, read 226,623 times
Quote:
Ohhh so youre saying that only scientists or college professors or some such can post, but people with strong convictions cant. I see how it is. Next thing you know i will have to provide proof that i like chicken over steak or that i dont like rap because apparently stating how i feel is wrong to you.
Welcome to the Internet where we get to state our opinions no matter how much you personally dislike it.

You can state it all you want but to downright admit you don't have any facts to offer- I just find it hilarious.

You definitely fit the mental profile I had in my head of someone who plops themselves in the left lane, oblivious to the world around them.

Congrats.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:13 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times
Quote:
I not one of those retort with facts people, i just state how i feel. And how i feel is that if im driving down the road and someone wants to pass me they can get in the right lane and pass me, because the speed limit is the same in both lanes.
The slower traffic sign is for people who can't attain the posted speed limit, not those who do not drive as fast as you want them to. People hauling stuff, driving on spares, cars with transmission or engine problems....thats what was traditionally meant by slower traffic and that is what i adhere to.
For me, the speed limit trumps everything else. Speed limit 65 or 70, keep right except to pass, but do not drive above the speed limit. I'll get over if i can but if i cant youll just have to cry and deal.
Obeying the law isnt a choice or at least it shouldnt be. Maybe if you didnt know thats one thing but to blatantly defy it then thats something else.
What other laws of the road do you feel you can violate at will just because you comply with the speed limit? Does obeying the speed limit mean you can ignore yield signs and stop signs whenever you feel like it as well?

The speed limit does not negate other laws that have been passed by the legislature. You don't get to steal because you haven't murdered anyone. You don't get to trespass because you haven't stolen. And you don't get to ignore the keep right law because you're not speeding.

"Keep right except to pass" means just what it says. The flow of traffic and the speed limit are irrelevant to what that sign means. If you're not actively in the process of overtaking another vehicle, you must remain in the lane furthest to the right. If you are in the process of overtaking another vehicle, you can use the center or left lanes as long as necessary to complete your pass, but you must return to the right lane as soon as you are safely clear of the last car. In this part of the country, it is just as much the law as the speed limit.

If you have to break the speed limit to pass, then you should not be passing, and thus, still should not be in the left or center lanes.

In Maine, you get the same number of demerit points (4) on your license for failure to keep right as you do for running a red light, yield sign, or stop sign. Speeding also gets you 4 points, unless you're more than 15 over the limit. So it sure looks to me that the keep right law has the same force as the speed limit, and thus the speed limit does not "trump" the keep right law, whatever that even means.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:14 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Everyone is completely entitled to feel however they like. But make no mistake you ARE breaking the law as much as a speeder and endangering lives even more than they do.

The laws in he vast majority of the states do not that right if slower than the speed limit. They stay right if blocking the left lane or if going slower than the "flow of traffic". You do not get to rewrite the laws to suit your feelings. So yes you are as much a Kat breaker as the guy doing 85.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:17 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Well now that is a false analogy.

The language of the keep right laws is not subjective and is not an opinion. You can give your opinion on those laws, which you clearly are comfortable breaking, but whether or not you are supposed to keep right are not "opinions" like liking chicken.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:55 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
We actually have police here that will ticket you for going 1over.
And? Why don't you let them do their job?

Old 08-30-2016, 09:11 PM

33 posts, read 25,559 times
It is my personal opinion that this poster cannot be reasoned with. No matter what anyone says they come back and retort with saying the have they right to enforce laws when they are obviously not a LEO. This poster then suggests to pass on the right which is not only even more dangerous but also illegal in many jurisdictions.

Drivers like this I like to get in front of them then slam the brakes on them to show how annoying they are. Either that or I'll get in front of them then go even slower than they are going. Heck why not just stop all together and impede them totally? Common courtesy, what is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive