Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 09:26 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,683,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
And? Why don't you let them do their job?
I do let them do their job however at times i put my foot down and say NO, If i have to obey the law then so do you.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:27 PM

231 posts, read 226,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SereneSage View Post
It is my personal opinion that this poster cannot be reasoned with. No matter what anyone says they come back and retort with saying the have they right to enforce laws when they are obviously not a LEO. This poster then suggests to pass on the right which is not only even more dangerous but also illegal in many jurisdictions.

Drivers like this I like to get in front of them then slam the brakes on them to show how annoying they are. Either that or I'll get in front of them then go even slower than they are going. Heck why not just stop all together and impede them totally? Common courtesy, what is that?
I mean, if that's what you want to do, then I don't see the problem. He can just go around you, can't he? If he's going to be a lead foot and not allow you to come to a complete stop in the middle of the highway, then that's his own impatience, right? I'm sure that he would agree that you have no responsibility not to impede traffic or be aware of your fellow driver- so how could he object to it? And if it causes an accident, well- no skin off your back! I'm sure he will appreciate others finally seeing and adopting his perspective.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
What other laws of the road do you feel you can violate at will just because you comply with the speed limit? Does obeying the speed limit mean you can ignore yield signs and stop signs whenever you feel like it as well?

The speed limit does not negate other laws that have been passed by the legislature. You don't get to steal because you haven't murdered anyone. You don't get to trespass because you haven't stolen. And you don't get to ignore the keep right law because you're not speeding.

"Keep right except to pass" means just what it says. The flow of traffic and the speed limit are irrelevant to what that sign means. If you're not actively in the process of overtaking another vehicle, you must remain in the lane furthest to the right. If you are in the process of overtaking another vehicle, you can use the center or left lanes as long as necessary to complete your pass, but you must return to the right lane as soon as you are safely clear of the last car. In this part of the country, it is just as much the law as the speed limit.

If you have to break the speed limit to pass, then you should not be passing, and thus, still should not be in the left or center lanes.

In Maine, you get the same number of demerit points (4) on your license for failure to keep right as you do for running a red light, yield sign, or stop sign. Speeding also gets you 4 points, unless you're more than 15 over the limit. So it sure looks to me that the keep right law has the same force as the speed limit, and thus the speed limit does not "trump" the keep right law, whatever that even means.
Do you have a tl;dr for that?

Ive been driving for decades and i dont have a single point against me so i must be doing something right.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SereneSage View Post
It is my personal opinion that this poster cannot be reasoned with. No matter what anyone says they come back and retort with saying the have they right to enforce laws when they are obviously not a LEO. This poster then suggests to pass on the right which is not only even more dangerous but also illegal in many jurisdictions.

Drivers like this I like to get in front of them then slam the brakes on them to show how annoying they are. Either that or I'll get in front of them then go even slower than they are going. Heck why not just stop all together and impede them totally? Common courtesy, what is that?
Youre right, im not going to change. I grew up believing and being told that it was a law abiding citizens right duty and obligation to help law enforcement; if you see a wrong, stop it. Dont just ignore it and say aint my thing. Just as someone would say if you have a gun and someone is shooting ppl it is your responsibility to use said gun not stand there with your thumb up your butt because youre not a law enforcement officer.
And "IMO" it is only dangerous to those who want to speed and dont watch the road because they for some reason think that everyone is just going to let them do it.

Oh, and i drive with one foot on each pedal so you braking wont bother me and as stated before you could get in front of me and drive 20 for all i care.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:33 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,157 times
When passing a vehicle and using an oncoming lane to do so, some states' law is that you are not allowed to go over the speed limit to do so; and some states the law is you are required to do it as quickly as possible, (that you accelerate, get 100 ft/yards past, and then get back over and slow back down to the speed limit). I would be surprised if most people knew there own state's law.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
When passing a vehicle and using an oncoming lane to do so, some states' law is that you are not allowed to go over the speed limit to do so; and some states the law is you are required to do it as quickly as possible, (that you accelerate, get 100 ft/yards past, and then get back over and slow back down to the speed limit). I would be surprised if most people knew there own state's law.
Where i am it may be law to accelerate but the police will in a sense use that to entrap you. I was accelerating to get past them so i could get back over/so you admit you were speeding/yes/heres your ticket.
They will even ticket you if gravity, inertia, what have you, causes you to go above the speed limit while going down a steep hill. If you dont ride your brakes you stand a high chance of getting a ticket.

State "keep right" laws

Last edited by pythonis; 08-31-2016 at 01:18 AM..

Old 08-31-2016, 01:42 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Where i am it may be law to accelerate but the police will in a sense use that to entrap you. I was accelerating to get past them so i could get back over/so you admit you were speeding/yes/heres your ticket.
They will even ticket you if gravity, inertia, what have you, causes you to go above the speed limit while going down a steep hill. If you dont ride your brakes you stand a high chance of getting a ticket.

State "keep right" laws
That's pretty presumptuous. What you are saying is you need to break the law in order to not get a ticket for doing what's legal.

P.S. That link has nothing to do with passing in an oncoming lane.

Last edited by adriver; 08-31-2016 at 02:26 AM..

Old 08-31-2016, 03:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Driving on todays motorways every one is going faster than the posted speed limit and theres nothing you can do about that, what you can do is make it safer by getting out of the way of cars going faster than you and/or keep up with the flow of traffic.
Here in Quebec the speed limit on highways is 63mph (100km) try maintaining such a slow speed and you'll cause an accident,get run over,cause road rage events and for sure have a mile long lineup of cars behind you..

Old 08-31-2016, 06:47 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
No. That is how the autobahn works which was part of the video in the OP. Most statutes do say keep right except to pass. Which if followed means if you aren't passing someone stay to the right. Not the second most left lane, not the middle lane, but the right lane.
You need to take a common sense approach to this because constantly switching lanes is not a safe practice either, if you are driving in moderate to heavy traffic pick a lane and keep up with the traffic in front of you.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:54 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I do let them do their job however at times i put my foot down and say NO, If i have to obey the law then so do you.
Ever hear that saying "Two wrongs don't make a right" ?

Is this you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJjtQKND4W8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive