Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 11:33 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I was driving home yesterday at my normal 82MPH, and I was in the left-hand lane. I saw a car coming up behind me, moderately quickly, and my front bumper was at the back bumper of a car in the middle lane doing about 81.2MPH. Can anyone guess what madness ensued?

I sped up a tiny bit, passed the car in the middle lane and moved over, and the faster-moving driver proceeded on his (or her) merry way. The world did not end.
Woah there buddy! It was your moral duty to camp in the left lane at the precise speed limit and not permit the guy behind you to proceed! What kind of non-selfish driver are you for moving over for him like that?! You could have single-handedly mucked up traffic! What an opportunity!

Old 08-30-2016, 12:03 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
The same folks that don't like folks driving less than 100 mph in the left lane don't like us old folks driving the speed limit in the right lane. No matter what you do some AH is always on your rear bumper.
That is correct. It makes no difference how fast you go, there's always a dingleberry. Damn, they're dumb.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:16 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
I'm a "slow" driver & as such I'm perfectly content to stay in the right-hand lane. I'm slow enough, in fact, that on a 1 hour drive I MAY only use the left lane to pass maybe 1 or 2 times for the entire trip.

My priorities during that trip are going to be; NUMBER ONE: The safety of MYself & the occupants of MY vehicle. #2 priority will be getting from point A to point B.

I have ZERO interest in appointing myself as some "highway gaurdian" by intentionally blocking the left lane because in doing so I'm endangering MYself & the occupants of MY vehicle.

Anyone who wants to blow past me in the left-hand lane; I could care less. Knock yourself out, I appreciate, in a way, that you are volunteering yourself as a decoy for that speed trap up ahead.

But now; you "highway gaurdians" out there are REALLY causing a hazard because during those 1 or 2 times that I need to use that left lane to pass (invariably some rusty pick-up with it's bed loaded down with branches & debris blowing all over the road); THERE YOU ARE ... & then all the "Me First's!" start squeezing around me & then I can't get back over into my right hand lane!

* Sure I COULD get over; if I thought that swerving, squeezing & cutting someone off would serve my NUMBER ONE priority. But it doesn't. *

Highway Gaurdians:

Just stop. Thats what State Patrol is for. Even if you are somehow lowering the speed of other drivers you are NOT keeping anybody safe.

Speeders:

I'll "do me" & you are welcome to "do you". I'm NOT a cop. I actually envy you that you don't have to spend as much time behind the wheel as I do. I personally just don't feel like I have enough reaction time, for say, a tire blowout, if I drove as fast as you.

Me First's:

If a crash occurs because you were swerving in & out of traffic, even if you were doing it do avoid the "HG's" on the road; make no mistake. YOU caused the accident & your speed was a factor. Everyone can see you weaving in & out & making an horse's behind out of yourself vs someone who is "just speeding" & only does it here & there.

Okay; my rant is over & I acknowledge there was a LOT of "labeling" going on there!

Old 08-30-2016, 02:17 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Driving over the speed limit = one law.

Sitting in the left lane = another law.

Driving under the influence = another law.

Driving recklessly = another law.

Illegal left turn = another law.

Etc, etc.

Ideally, all drivers should obey all laws.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:36 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
then why do they do it then, left lane for passing, not in our state, there so much traffic, all lanes are for travel, dont know where you came up with that only for passing, it has never been that way around here.

there no way the right lane could hold all the traffic load, nobody would be able to get off on on the freeway and that more dangeous than your stupid theory that its dangerous to drive in left lane.

left lane is dangeous because of people wanting top do 105 in a 70
State "keep right" laws

Please read up. Ten states are keep right except to pass. Six states specifically say you cannot block traffic in the left hand lane. Another 29 specifically have laws stating keep right if going slower than the normal flow of traffic. Note they do not say keep right if going slower than the speed limit, they say slower than the flow of traffic. That is specific language. Only 5 states mention "going slower than the speed limit" as the only reason to preclude driving in the left lane.

So around "here" is not relevant when there are laws throughout the vast majority of the country (including the uniform vehicle code).

You can say it however many times you like but it doesn't make it fact. That is what research is for.

This is a very nice review of the literature (aka summation of the major studies).
http://www.topslab.wisc.edu/workgrou...ted_071405.pdf

It has been found that moving slower than the surrounding traffic is more likely to cause an accident than going faster, regardless of the speed limit. "variation up to 20 mph above the mean speed had little impact on involvement
rate; however, variation in speed below the mean speed resulted in significant increases in
involvement rate. "

Old 08-30-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I'm a "slow" driver & as such I'm perfectly content to stay in the right-hand lane. I'm slow enough, in fact, that on a 1 hour drive I MAY only use the left lane to pass maybe 1 or 2 times for the entire trip.

My priorities during that trip are going to be; NUMBER ONE: The safety of MYself & the occupants of MY vehicle. #2 priority will be getting from point A to point B.

I have ZERO interest in appointing myself as some "highway gaurdian" by intentionally blocking the left lane because in doing so I'm endangering MYself & the occupants of MY vehicle.

Anyone who wants to blow past me in the left-hand lane; I could care less. Knock yourself out, I appreciate, in a way, that you are volunteering yourself as a decoy for that speed trap up ahead.

But now; you "highway gaurdians" out there are REALLY causing a hazard because during those 1 or 2 times that I need to use that left lane to pass (invariably some rusty pick-up with it's bed loaded down with branches & debris blowing all over the road); THERE YOU ARE ... & then all the "Me First's!" start squeezing around me & then I can't get back over into my right hand lane!

* Sure I COULD get over; if I thought that swerving, squeezing & cutting someone off would serve my NUMBER ONE priority. But it doesn't. *

Highway Gaurdians:

Just stop. Thats what State Patrol is for. Even if you are somehow lowering the speed of other drivers you are NOT keeping anybody safe.

Speeders:

I'll "do me" & you are welcome to "do you". I'm NOT a cop. I actually envy you that you don't have to spend as much time behind the wheel as I do. I personally just don't feel like I have enough reaction time, for say, a tire blowout, if I drove as fast as you.

Me First's:

If a crash occurs because you were swerving in & out of traffic, even if you were doing it do avoid the "HG's" on the road; make no mistake. YOU caused the accident & your speed was a factor. Everyone can see you weaving in & out & making an horse's behind out of yourself vs someone who is "just speeding" & only does it here & there.

Okay; my rant is over & I acknowledge there was a LOT of "labeling" going on there!
Excellent post.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:41 PM

What about multi-lane freeways. Is each lane supposed to be for passing the cars on the right lane beside it?

Old 08-30-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
What about multi-lane freeways. Is each lane supposed to be for passing the cars on the right lane beside it?
Functionally, yes. If a car to your right is going the same speed you are, move into that lane. Easy peasy.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Functionally, yes. If a car to your right is going the same speed you are, move into that lane. Easy peasy.
Interesting. Are there laws on the books regarding this?

Old 08-30-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
If i get pulled over for breaking that sign i will gladly take the ticket, go before the judge, and ask when speed limit signs became null and void for the left lane, then i will take it to the Supreme Court if need be.
I drive the speed limit and refuse to let others speed because you never know what lives i may be saving by preventing some impatient speeder from plowing into them. Your home will be there, walmart doesnt close, and if youre running late for work then you should've left earlier.
Oh and we dont have those signs in our state except for 3 lane or more highways, so if youre on a 2 lane too bad for you if you want to speed.
The Supreme Court?

SCOTUS is not traffic court, it exists to interpret the constitution which strangely enough doesn't have a "but he broke the law too!!" clause.

1. Research has shown again and again that those who drive slower than the flow of traffic in the left lane are more likely to cause an accident than someone speeding, even up to more than 20mph over the flow of traffic.

2.The majority of states, 90%, have a keep right except to pass statute. I would suggest you read the link and actual laws in the post above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive