Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 12:39 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SereneSage View Post
I've had people try to block me, people driving parallel to the person in the right lane to tie up both lanes, you name it. Although I usually get past sooner or later it is pretty amazing how these wannabe police officers try and block people who have some sense of urgency (you know, I am not out here driving for fun. I have places to be)

I also don't understand why slower drivers when I pass them subsequently try to chase me. None of them have ever succeeded because I always manage to get away because again I have a sense of urgency in my life. They just can't keep up.

As for weaving no it is not enjoyable for me but it's necessary when there are clusters of cars driving next to each other who won't move out of the way. I've never understood that...When someone tries to drive parallel to me if they manage to catch up I either swerve slightly into their lane to let them know to back off or I'll either speed up or slow down. It drives me crazy having my view of the next lane blocked.
Your guess is as good as mine on that one, too. But it just goes to show you how many crazies there are out on the road. That's not rational behavior.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:42 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Exactly. They complain about people in the left lane but they break the law by speeding how ironic
It's not breaking the law in Texas - you can drive as fast as is safe under the circumstances, while the person who slows down traffic in the left lane is in fact breaking the law in most states. But it's not just about the law -- it's primarily about safety. You completely missed the point.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:57 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Hopefully your stubbornness and inability to follow the law doesn't get yourself or others killed. Hopefully, however, you are ticketed frequently for failing to follow the law and move over
My being patient and following the speed limit saves more lives than your attitude does. And i havent gotten a ticket since the 1990s and that was for driving 35 in a 30.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Your guess is as good as mine on that one, too. But it just goes to show you how many crazies there are out on the road. That's not rational behavior.
Its to catch up with you, get you to stop, and then give you a piece of our mind. Think of it as your Mom or Dad yanking you off to the side and giving you a stern lecture.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
So true. People like this are generally burdens on society, whether they realize it or not.
Yeah we said the same thing when we were in our teens and 20s but then we grew up

Old 08-29-2016, 01:05 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
My being patient and following the speed limit saves more lives than your attitude does. And i havent gotten a ticket since the 1990s and that was for driving 35 in a 30.
While you are more likely to die in higher speed crashes it not a major cause of accidents on the highway, disruptions to the flow of traffic from poor driving habits like sitting in the left lane are. You are disrupting the flow of traffic if you are in the left lane unnecessarily. There is absolutely no justification for what you are doing. Whether there is a speed limit, no speed limit, traffic is traveling below the speed limit or it's traveling above the speed limit. In all cases sitting in the left lane makes you a hazard. What you are doing is just as bad as that tailgater.

Quote:
https://www.motorists.org/press/mont...afety-paradox/

The doubling of fatal accidents occurred after Montana implemented its new safety program; complete with federal funding, artificially low speed limits and full enforcement.
Why might that be? For starters they are disrupting the natural flow of traffic.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:05 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SereneSage View Post
I've had people try to block me, people driving parallel to the person in the right lane to tie up both lanes, you name it. Although I usually get past sooner or later it is pretty amazing how these wannabe police officers try and block people who have some sense of urgency (you know, I am not out here driving for fun. I have places to be)

I also don't understand why slower drivers when I pass them subsequently try to chase me. None of them have ever succeeded because I always manage to get away because again I have a sense of urgency in my life. They just can't keep up.

As for weaving no it is not enjoyable for me but it's necessary when there are clusters of cars driving next to each other who won't move out of the way. I've never understood that...When someone tries to drive parallel to me if they manage to catch up I either swerve slightly into their lane to let them know to back off or I'll either speed up or slow down. It drives me crazy having my view of the next lane blocked.
Quote:
Quote:
Its to catch up with you, get you to stop, and then give you a piece of our mind. Think of it as your Mom or Dad yanking you off to the side and giving you a stern lecture.
They're probably not trying to catch you. They are probably doing the same thing I do on the highways when a speeder goes past me. You are being there rabbit. Its you who is gonna pull out the cops and get the ticket while they have plenty of time to slow down without getting caught. You become the early warning system. They just need to stay close enough to keep you and your brake lights in sight, and far enough back so that if a cop comes out they aren't going to get pulled over too. For me, the distance is roughly about 1/4-1/2 mile depending on the geography

Old 08-29-2016, 01:10 PM

231 posts, read 226,959 times
Quote:

I don't know if you watched that video but it sounds like that might change if you are going below the speed of traffic in the right lane.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:15 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
I have over a million miles of accident free driving on all types of roads in all types of conditions. You will not be lecturing me on anything about how to drive safely. Get out of the left lane if you don't belong there, you are a hazard.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:16 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Then it would say speed suggestion
It should say that. Some places (very few) the cops enforce it strictly,, while many other (most other) places they don't bother enforcing it until you are 10-15 mph or more over the limit. The sign is becoming meaningless due to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive