Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 04:10 AM

68 posts, read 95,093 times

Advertisements

Recently read this book: Clean Disruption of Energy and Transportation: How Silicon Valley Will Make Oil, Nuclear, Natural Gas, Coal, Electric Utilities and Conventional Cars Obsolete by 2030

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...c=1#nav-subnav

The author says conventional cars with internal combustion engines (ICE) will become obsolete by 2030.

Unless something drastic happens, I will never buy another ICE vehicle again.

My 2012 Honda Accord is the last ICE vehicle I will ever own. It just turned 36,000 miles, and the way that I drive, this car should last a long, long time.

I plan to buy an electric car, sometime in the 2019-2020 timeframe. By then, there should be a lot of affordable models on the market with a minimum range of 200 miles. I will keep the Accord for long road trips.

Anyone else with this plan? You're not planning to buy any more ICE vehicles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 05:10 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,405,147 times
Do you really think "big oil" would let that happen? I would love to see more electric car choices too, and/or cars that get over 100mpg but I'm not going to hold my breath. I believe that the technology has been there for a long time, but there are outside forces preventing it from happening.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:18 AM

990 posts, read 2,558,270 times
According to my 1964 issue of Popular Mechanics....

This very moment we are all driving around in our "flying cars".

So, let me ask.... How is that working out.

For me, not so good.... I can't seem to get to "take off speed" without getting a traffic summons first.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:33 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,393,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post

For me, not so good.... I can't seem to get to "take off speed" without getting a traffic summons first.
My first thoughts also^^^^^
OP -- don't hold your breath on the demise of ICE autos

Old 09-06-2016, 05:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
No, in fact I have 3 now, but plan on a 4th win the next few years, a classic with not only a flathead V8, carburetor and no smog equipment. I have no interest in an electric, I like the power and sound of a real engine.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:47 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,253,074 times
Unlikely. If there is oil in the ground, there will be ICE's. Electric will not fully take over till you can get 300+ miles to a charge, and you can recharge in under 5 minutes.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
, and you can recharge in under 5 minutes.
Thats the key to electric car success ,how long it takes to charge the batteries. at the moment i can fill my car with gas in 5 minutes and then drive 300 miles,from what i'm hearing of electric cars a full charge takes 8 hours or more.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post

In 1964, did Popular Mechanics predict, in 2016, a person could hold a device in one hand, push a button, take a photo, and push another button to transmit that photo around the world, and do all of that within 30 seconds?

Old 09-06-2016, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Do you really think "big oil" would let that happen? I would love to see more electric car choices too, and/or cars that get over 100mpg but I'm not going to hold my breath. I believe that the technology has been there for a long time, but there are outside forces preventing it from happening.
I agree, there are forces that want to prevent electric cars from dominating the market.

As for "big oil", if the oil industry wants to stop it, then, why is Saudi Arabia going solar:

Why the Saudis Are Going Solar - The Atlantic

Old 09-06-2016, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
My first thoughts also^^^^^
OP -- don't hold your breath on the demise of ICE autos
ICE autos probably won't entirely disappear. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised that ICE autos continue to be used for several decades. But, eventually, technology will displace the ICE auto, just as compact cameras have been displaced by the smart phone. You can still buy a compact camera, but the compact camera market share over the past 10 years has shrunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive