Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 02:47 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,263,843 times

Advertisements

Who the heck bothers to go to dealerships anymore with so many great apps/info at your fingertips and internet salesmen willing to deal with you on nearly each and every issue? Once you get your specs and price, just show up with your form of payment and grab the keys. Easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 04:11 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,804,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I just don't understand why you get so worked up over it. You want to pay a price that is less than the price that they want to sell it to you for. No transaction; move on. It's just business.
Because I am not getting worked up. I did say thanks but no thanks. At which point they started insulting the hell out of me, saying that I was pulling numbers out of thin air etc. If a dealer does not want to deal then fine but dont go belittling and insulting the customer!

Old 09-13-2016, 06:57 PM

25 posts, read 31,163 times
If you're willing to stand firm you'll eventually get whatever deal you want assuming the dealer isn't losing money.
However, for this you're looking for a car that may no longer be available, I suppose they know if you want it bad enough you'll pay for it. Your best bet is to tell them you're going to shop around for a 2017 at all their competitors unless they want to make you a deal on the 16. My .02 anyways...

Old 09-13-2016, 07:53 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,764,780 times
Some of the lowest people I've ever met are car salesmen. The others are real estate agents. I'm convinced that these people would sell their own eyes for the right price...

Old 09-13-2016, 08:10 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,684,466 times
New car dealers' days, as we know them, are numbered.

Tesla is waging a state-by-state battle to overturn direct sales bans. As younger people take over State legislatures the wars will escalate. Just like Uber, et al turned the taxi industry upside down, Tesla will prevail eventually. When they do, look for the other makers to jump into direct sales with both feet.

The dealers know they're through when this happens...

Old 09-13-2016, 11:28 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,857,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Been shopping for a Mazda3 hatch 6spd, they are having a good discount on the 2016s as the 2017s are coming out in a few weeks. Now, the only reason I would go for a '16 is due to the big discount as the new 3 is better in every way... LED headlights, interior redesign, G Vectoring control, full color HUD, some exterior tweaks and not to mention that I can choose my preferred colors as opposed to settling for what is in stock.

Now, of course, I call the dealer and what does he tell me... these cars are very rare so I need to pay sticker, there is a line of people waiting for buy them as there are only 2 manual transmissions in the entire west coast

I told the FOOL that it is a Mazda 3 not a Mercedes SLS to be so "rare"!!! If the stock is depleted now then wait a month and there will be plenty more!!

I told him good for him, he can sell it for sticker to some other fool, I will just buy a 2017 I can wait a month for the new models to arrive and I do not mind paying a few hundred dollars more to get a much more refreshed model. He told me my reasoning is flawed.

Does this make much business sense? They were ready to sell it to me for invoice about 2 months ago but I was still deciding then, now when I am ready the price has gone up to MSRP. Why? Because it's the last of the 2016s? Isn't that backwards? It should be clearance pricing not price going up?
Wait! You spoke to one salesperson at one dealer and create the title "Car dealers...?" No wonder some people who work at some car dealerships generalize about their customers.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:58 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,943,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Some of the lowest people I've ever met are car salesmen. The others are real estate agents. I'm convinced that these people would sell their own eyes for the right price...
You described salespeople in general. I loathe them all. It's one of the occupations I look down upon most. Not the top of the list, but right up there, next to politicians and other liars.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:07 AM

1,112 posts, read 886,691 times
Bad salespeople----poor training.
Mae

Old 09-14-2016, 07:13 AM

4,339 posts, read 7,249,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Who the heck bothers to go to dealerships anymore with so many great apps/info at your fingertips and internet salesmen willing to deal with you on nearly each and every issue? Once you get your specs and price, just show up with your form of payment and grab the keys. Easy.
Despite having their inventory listed on their website, and despite having "Internet Sales Reps", a lot of dealers simply will not quote pricing without an in-person visit, even when you've identified a specific vehicle that you want to purchase. Believe me, I've tried. In that situation, the internet sales people are just the people you deal with if you initiated contact over the internet, as opposed to walking in off the street. Besides, that's only part I of the transaction, based on my experience. Part II comes when you sit down with the F&I guy to finalize the paperwork and arrange payment, while they are running the vehicle through the wash rack. Expect high-pressure sales pitches for extended warranties, pre-paid future services, and protection packages, along with any other add-ons or accessories they can interest you in that weren't already added on before the sale, before you drive off.

I guess it just varies by market. When I think about it, there are only a few ownership groups that control most of the new-car dealers in my area. The independents have all but disappeared. It's like they collude with each other when it comes to policies and sales practices. I just wonder how much longer they can continue with that business model?

Old 09-14-2016, 11:06 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,804,914 times
I am actually for everyone involved making a fair profit, I would prefer it if a car was priced more like a carton of milk, everyone pays the same. But it's the dealers and sales guys themselves who don't want this because then they don't get to rip off some old lady or someone who isn't that financially savvy by charging them thousands over MSRP... then they complain and curse about the customers who haggle hard over price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive