Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 10:55 AM

595 posts, read 600,949 times

Advertisements

Have you considered the Focus ST or Fiesta ST? I'm not typically a huge Ford fan, but having driven both of these cars competitively, they're a lot of fun. Great stock suspension and great feel while still being affordable, practical cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 01:07 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,010,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post
Have you considered the Focus ST or Fiesta ST? I'm not typically a huge Ford fan, but having driven both of these cars competitively, they're a lot of fun. Great stock suspension and great feel while still being affordable, practical cars.
I have driven the fiesta st, it was a while back. It was a very fun car to drive. That said, the fiesta was very small. Wouldn't be bad for a daily driver but I don't think it would be manageable for taking trips in (especially with a 1 year old). Both cars require premium fuel though and I've kind of ruled out cars that require premium fuel (It's more expensive in the long run). The other thing I have against most fords is their interior space/ergonomics. They tend to feel really small inside and I'm used to hondas so I prefer having a good deal of space, or at least feeling like I do.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:56 PM

595 posts, read 600,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I have driven the fiesta st, it was a while back. It was a very fun car to drive. That said, the fiesta was very small. Wouldn't be bad for a daily driver but I don't think it would be manageable for taking trips in (especially with a 1 year old). Both cars require premium fuel though and I've kind of ruled out cars that require premium fuel (It's more expensive in the long run). The other thing I have against most fords is their interior space/ergonomics. They tend to feel really small inside and I'm used to hondas so I prefer having a good deal of space, or at least feeling like I do.
I definitely agree on the Fiesta ST. I barely fit (which is better than the Fiat 500 in which I didn't fit at all). The Focus was pretty comfortable though. I do a bit of autocross instructing in which I'm also wearing a helmet (making head room even more challenging) and I was pretty comfortable in the Focus ST. Still waiting for someone to let me take out a new RS though.

The much roomier Focus ST gets 32 MPG on the highway. I looked at fuel prices in Nashville, and comparing the $1.89 average for 87 compared to the $2.29 average for 93 (Which is about $0.50 cheaper than I'm paying here in Pittsburgh, plus I'm only averaging 15 MPG in my Subaru, haha), this is about the equivalent of getting 26.4 MPG from a pricing standpoint. That's not nearly as nice as the Mazda3 (37 MPG) or Elantra GT (32 MPG), but none of that beats the 42 MPG highway from the new turbo Civic hatchbacks. However, it's not boasting 252HP/270TQ either.

Just food for thought.

Also, I'd likely wager the Civic is going to hold up better from a resale value perspective over the Elantra GT, Mazda 3, and VW Golf, or Focus ST (if that's something to even consider).

I'm not a Honda guy, but the new Civic might have my vote based on what you're looking for.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post
I definitely agree on the Fiesta ST. I barely fit (which is better than the Fiat 500 in which I didn't fit at all). The Focus was pretty comfortable though. I do a bit of autocross instructing in which I'm also wearing a helmet (making head room even more challenging) and I was pretty comfortable in the Focus ST. Still waiting for someone to let me take out a new RS though.

The much roomier Focus ST gets 32 MPG on the highway. I looked at fuel prices in Nashville, and comparing the $1.89 average for 87 compared to the $2.29 average for 93 (Which is about $0.50 cheaper than I'm paying here in Pittsburgh, plus I'm only averaging 15 MPG in my Subaru, haha), this is about the equivalent of getting 26.4 MPG from a pricing standpoint. That's not nearly as nice as the Mazda3 (37 MPG) or Elantra GT (32 MPG), but none of that beats the 42 MPG highway from the new turbo Civic hatchbacks. However, it's not boasting 252HP/270TQ either.

Just food for thought.

Also, I'd likely wager the Civic is going to hold up better from a resale value perspective over the Elantra GT, Mazda 3, and VW Golf, or Focus ST (if that's something to even consider).

I'm not a Honda guy, but the new Civic might have my vote based on what you're looking for.
Doesn't the focus ST only come with a manual? I'd like the option of having an automatic (dual clutch tranny would be ideal). I actually love driving stick but for a commuter it would be nice to have an auto. Honestly I'll have to go out and try some of these options soon. The new turbo civic is nice, wish it didn't have a CVT.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:43 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,164,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Doesn't the focus ST only come with a manual?
Yes, it does. I daily drive one and the clutch is kinda heavy (especially in comparison with VW's) in stop-and-go traffic. Still, I love the power and acceleration (and the Recaros), so I don't mind it that much.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:54 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
The clutch in the Forte5 is very light. I actually prefer driving it in Portland's bumper to bumper traffic rather than my wife's automatic RAV4 where you have to ride the brake all the time.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 784 times
In the same boat. I've test drove the Kia Soul, Mazda 3, Golf Wolfsburg edition, Civic Hatch, Elantra GT, Corolla IM, and
Honda HRV. Golf was my favorite to drive however with all the reliability issues I've read about I may end up opting for either the Mazda or Civic. Did you decide?

Old 12-12-2016, 08:37 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,834,015 times
Check here for reliability stats. Car Reliability Comparisons

Old 12-12-2016, 09:25 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
2017 Mazda 3 2.5L Manual Test – Review – Car and Driver

Main complains were acceleration and braking. This car isn't mostly about straight line performance, it's the curves where this car shines and that is where the joy of driving comes into the picture anyway.
This is why I chose the Mazda3 when I was faced with the same dilemma in the Spring of 2016. I wanted something that handled well in the curves, so I selected the 2.5L GT hatchback. Very good choice for me.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salaberd View Post
In the same boat. I've test drove the Kia Soul, Mazda 3, Golf Wolfsburg edition, Civic Hatch, Elantra GT, Corolla IM, and
Honda HRV. Golf was my favorite to drive however with all the reliability issues I've read about I may end up opting for either the Mazda or Civic. Did you decide?
OP here. I haven't decided yet. I'm actually waiting till the spring (probably) to decide as we're in the midst of going through new home financing stuff. My wife has told me she wants a family oriented car so back seat room will probably be important when it gets closer to decision time. I've also opened up my search a bit more due to wanting a "family oriented vehicle". I think I'll still consider the kia soul but I'm guessing the mazda3 will be out as space in the mazdas always seems to be tight. I like the new 2017 jetta se, even though it's not a hatchback. More backseat room than the golf, has a turbo and gets 40mpg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive