Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 09:30 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,150,301 times

Advertisements

It's new for a few months, then leaving it out in the weather isn't a big deal.
All cars are made to be exposed to the elements. Just keep it clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 09:46 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,493,774 times
Unless you are keeping it 20 years it shouldn't really matter.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:50 PM

7,647 posts, read 9,998,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
Ugh. Garage it. Even if you have to move.

I can't tell you how many relatively late-model cars I've seen in the high desert with a "Southwest suntan"....the UV bakes the top clear coat and oxidizes it.
My cute little red Mitzibitzi was perfect until I moved to the desert and didn't have a garage. Now it looks like a tweaker car. We're embarrassed to drive it and the local body shops want $1,500 to paint a $1,500 car.

The desert just eats cars. I would never buy a new car living here unless it was garaged most of the time. And no - covers don't help. The grit hurts the paint too.

Can you rent a nearby garage? If not I'd just buy a beater and drive it until you move.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:24 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,896,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
Ugh. Garage it. Even if you have to move.

I can't tell you how many relatively late-model cars I've seen in the high desert with a "Southwest suntan"....the UV bakes the top clear coat and oxidizes it.

Move or rent a garage, or don't bother purchasing a new car.

My car goes from my garage at home to our covered parking garage at work. I get insurance discounts because my car is garaged at home and garaged at work.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:49 AM

13,751 posts, read 12,562,064 times
Maybe one of those portable deals from Harbor Freight might work?

Old 10-27-2016, 01:26 PM

371 posts, read 370,533 times
You didn't tell us the car's color? C'mon, we're like Click and Clack, we need that vital information! Especially this time. My white cars wear well in the sun, but a black finish would absorb much more solar energy. Our UV light is especially harsh on red paint. If you see any store or sign with a deep red color, you know it's been painted recently.

I hand-wax my cars two or three times a year, and reapply when water no longer beads readily. The car gets spray-washed at least every two weeks so lingering dirt or leaves don't stain it. I've planted a shade tree west of the parking space, and that's giving good summer shade now. If that's not practical in pinyon country, I'd recommend a "Shade Sail" stretched horizontally between several upright posts. These are available in various sizes and colors. Better than tarps, because they include a catenary cut, like a tent, to spread tension stresses so they pitch up all taut and shipshape. Squares and triangles can be overlapped and combined at will. My triangle shading the picnic table has stood for six summers and withstood high winds, so at $150 it's a good investment. You could use these directly over the car to shade it for the most intense hours of the day.

As for the dust, you're on your own! That's why we can't have nice things, like black cars! ; >
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive