Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 01:29 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,511,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
There's the Ford vs. Chevy truck debate about which is better. I guess this is mostly down south. Anyway why hasn't Dodge been a part of this debate?
No no. Go to upstate NY.

Ford Vs Chevy Vs Dodge. But all of the domestic guys get together and bash Tundras Tacomas Frontiers and Titans.

Buy a ford if you like doing engine work.
Buy a chevy/gmc if you like doing front end work
Buy a dodge if you like doing transmission and body work.

The quality of the dodge sheet metal was on par with toyotas and nissans...3-5 years and they were rotting through whether you washed them after driving in slushy snowy roads or not...

If I were to build the perfect truck...
Fords chassis and suspension
Chevys engine and transmission
Dana rear from a ford or dodge

I have friends in every brand (minus the exotics) dealers... They are rarely doing the volume of Diesel and Gas engine work that I was doing on Fords. However they would do a TON of inner/outer tie rods, pitman arms, idler arms, wheel bearings, the occasional EVAP repairs... They were telling me they were doing 0 allison transmission work unless a kid had a tuner in it. Same with the Diesels.
The older 4L60 and 4L80E transmissions were coming in with shifting concerns between 150-210k miles.
The Dodge pickups were coming in at 40-80k miles missing reverse or overdrive. Or in the body shop getting estimates for body repair work.
The 4.7 over head cam engines were garbage. They gave up the ghost between 60 and 120k miles.
Didnt matter if it was in a Dakota, A Durango, or a Ram.

^NOT every single one built but a good amount of the work they were doing this is what they reported.

I had a 98 Ram 1500 with a 318 and 5 speed. Had to scrap it when I had nothing healthy left to weld to the frame to keep it together. Beat the snot out of that truck and couldn't kill it. Went with 430 something thousand miles on it... Body was cancered out terrible.

As a ford tech... I would never recommend anything ecoboost. Have seen the coolant lines that feed the turbos rot off and leak in F150s, blow head gaskets from over heating/lack of coolant flow. Was not a fan of a V6 with 2 hair driers...
Not a fan of overhead cam engines either but the 5.0 is the better option over the 2.7 or 3.5. Less moving parts. Less expensive to fix. Still a pain in the azz to retime though...

Any brand who builds a pushrod V8 gets my money. Keep that over head cam crap in europe and japan. I will gladly swap a cam in a Hemi or LS/Vortec/ecotec V8 before doing it in a 4.6 5.4 5.0 6.2 or northstar...

Pull the radiator, condenser, should have enough room to get it out. If not remove the grille.
Ford powerstrokes on the other hand... The IH 7.3-6.4 the cam feeds through the rear of the engine... Not a fan...

Plus with the Pushrod engines you can have the cylinder deactivation by having the lifters collapse and shut the injector and coil off per cylinder you disable... If ford were to do that with OHC... oh boy...
Doesn't matter any how. Next few years engines wont have camshafts, phasers, pushrods, lifters, rocker arms, or bucket lifters and HLAs.

They'll have a HUEI injector style operation utilizing electro hydraulic valve operation... And when that day comes... Get used to doing oil changes at 3k on the dot. Dirty oil in a HUEI system modeled after the 6.0 powerstroke not the 7.3s, will cause valves to smack pistons or not seat fully...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 01:33 PM

30,520 posts, read 21,408,935 times
They need to make a real truck again like a S10 size regcab with 450hp. Or at least Chevy can offer up a SS version with a regcab and a 6.2 V8 lowered on 22's. Ram could do the same with a 6.4 Hemi.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:35 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,030,836 times
RAM (Dodge) outsold Chevrolet trucks last month.

Source: Automotive News.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:39 PM

676 posts, read 728,191 times
Because both ford and chevy owners know dodge / chrysler trucks are garbage.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:55 PM

30,520 posts, read 21,408,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo8414 View Post
Because both ford and chevy owners know dodge / chrysler trucks are garbage.
Owned all 3 and the RAM was the best pam.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:02 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,609,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
No no. Go to upstate NY.

Ford Vs Chevy Vs Dodge. But all of the domestic guys get together and bash Tundras Tacomas Frontiers and Titans.

Buy a ford if you like doing engine work.
Buy a chevy/gmc if you like doing front end work
Buy a dodge if you like doing transmission and body work.

The quality of the dodge sheet metal was on par with toyotas and nissans...3-5 years and they were rotting through whether you washed them after driving in slushy snowy roads or not...

If I were to build the perfect truck...
Fords chassis and suspension
Chevys engine and transmission
Dana rear from a ford or dodge

I have friends in every brand (minus the exotics) dealers... They are rarely doing the volume of Diesel and Gas engine work that I was doing on Fords. However they would do a TON of inner/outer tie rods, pitman arms, idler arms, wheel bearings, the occasional EVAP repairs... They were telling me they were doing 0 allison transmission work unless a kid had a tuner in it. Same with the Diesels.
The older 4L60 and 4L80E transmissions were coming in with shifting concerns between 150-210k miles.
The Dodge pickups were coming in at 40-80k miles missing reverse or overdrive. Or in the body shop getting estimates for body repair work.
The 4.7 over head cam engines were garbage. They gave up the ghost between 60 and 120k miles.
Didnt matter if it was in a Dakota, A Durango, or a Ram.

^NOT every single one built but a good amount of the work they were doing this is what they reported.

I had a 98 Ram 1500 with a 318 and 5 speed. Had to scrap it when I had nothing healthy left to weld to the frame to keep it together. Beat the snot out of that truck and couldn't kill it. Went with 430 something thousand miles on it... Body was cancered out terrible.

As a ford tech... I would never recommend anything ecoboost. Have seen the coolant lines that feed the turbos rot off and leak in F150s, blow head gaskets from over heating/lack of coolant flow. Was not a fan of a V6 with 2 hair driers...
Not a fan of overhead cam engines either but the 5.0 is the better option over the 2.7 or 3.5. Less moving parts. Less expensive to fix. Still a pain in the azz to retime though...

Any brand who builds a pushrod V8 gets my money. Keep that over head cam crap in europe and japan. I will gladly swap a cam in a Hemi or LS/Vortec/ecotec V8 before doing it in a 4.6 5.4 5.0 6.2 or northstar...

Pull the radiator, condenser, should have enough room to get it out. If not remove the grille.
Ford powerstrokes on the other hand... The IH 7.3-6.4 the cam feeds through the rear of the engine... Not a fan...

Plus with the Pushrod engines you can have the cylinder deactivation by having the lifters collapse and shut the injector and coil off per cylinder you disable... If ford were to do that with OHC... oh boy...
Doesn't matter any how. Next few years engines wont have camshafts, phasers, pushrods, lifters, rocker arms, or bucket lifters and HLAs.

They'll have a HUEI injector style operation utilizing electro hydraulic valve operation... And when that day comes... Get used to doing oil changes at 3k on the dot. Dirty oil in a HUEI system modeled after the 6.0 powerstroke not the 7.3s, will cause valves to smack pistons or not seat fully...
A 2015/16 Ford F-450 pickup with the motor out of a Ram and transmission out the the GM would be the best of everything as far as I can tell. The Ford running gear isn't bad but the rest of the truck is the real deal. 1/4" C-channel frame, Dana 130 rear axle, 10 lug hubs, 19.5" Alcoa wheels. All the top shelf stuff.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:04 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,941,785 times
Chevy just reeks of desperation! They try to glam up their trucks with chrome to look like a Ford, but they are still nothing but a highly polished turd.

I'll gladly keep my Ram. If I had to, I'd look at an F-series next, although I've had buddies with the mysterious engine miss at 65mph that Ford can't explain.

I can't ever see myself looking at buying a Chevy truck. Just can't do that to my wallet.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:40 PM

11,156 posts, read 29,375,366 times
when it comes to PU trucks owners tend to be very Brand loyal

Old 05-06-2017, 05:43 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,979,309 times
I've driven trucks since I was 6. At one time, Chevy was the only truck on road worth having unless you had deep pockets and could afford an International. Today, Ford is the the best selling and most reliable truck on the roads. I've been driving Fords since 1974 with an occasional Dodge in there. The 71 D-250 I had was bulletproof and with the 318 Poly engine, was a screamer as well. Out ran many a hot rods back then with it. The 4:56 axle helped a lot. The 2000 Dakota I had was a absolute wreck. After 16 months and 30,000 miles of ownership, the dealer had it more than I did. I officed out of my trucks and no loaners while Dodge tried to figure out how to keep the POS on the road. Front the rear axle mount that was never welded to the frame, the firewall that was never welded to the A Pillar, the transmission that gave up, the PCM that self destructed and Dodge didn't have a replacement, to the oddball tires that it came with that had a tire blow out every 2000 miles and no replacements available. I'll never own another Dodge. But, I recognize that it was probably an odd lemon but then my nephew bought a Durango. His was worse than my Dakota with non-stop electrical issues. The dealership was so sick of it they wouldn't take the truck in for any warrant service. So he parked it across the road for them and put a HUGE lemon decal on the side of it. They eventually worked out a deal where he got rid of it and thru the dealers corporate office ended up with a Tundra. which he absolutely hates. So a Dodge around here is not a spoken word. But if I couldn't get a Ford, I'd look at the Ram before a Chevy, Titan, or Tundra. The V8 engine is a 1950's hashed over Mercedes gas engine with poly heads. It's obviously NOT a hemi. The transmission that comes in the Ram is hashed over 727b that were known to be near indestructible back in the 60's. They've managed to screw that up though and the transmissions can be an issue. Electrical issues still plague a Ram. I'm not a fan of buying a truck that needs a muffler before it leaves the dealership. They make FAR too much noise for me. I want a reasonably quiet engine, not a wannabe hot rod sound that you can only hear if you're sitting in the truck. Chevrolet is junk. My brother had one in a 4x4 regular cab as a work truck. It lasted almost 6 months and then sat for the next 3 years waiting for Chevy to fix it. They couldn't make the transmission shift right and the front end wouldn't last long enough for it to get off of the dealers lot before it puked all of the fluid out. And you only think you know what a vibration is. Should have driven his truck. The rancher he works for drives a Tundra. Talk about a gas eater-jeez. Good thing he owns oil wells. Most commonly it gets single digit fuel mileage. Yeah, the guy drives it like he stole it but the fuel is ridiculous to keep it running. He's on his thrid and final one. They last him about 80,000 miles before it becomes an unreliable truck and he shuffles it down to the ranch hands. His next truck will be the new F250 Raptor. That should prove to be interesting. The Titan is a known gas guzzler with the gas engine. The Cummins diesel is also a major disappointment. It eats fuel like no tomorrow. And an oil change is costing over $250.00. No thanks. The Titan historically is a major rattle trap and not very reliable. You can't say Titan and trade in value in a positive way in the same sentence. The only folks that want a used Titan is a Nissan dealer. Otherwise, they are near worthless as a trade in.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:29 PM

19 posts, read 17,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Now it's a Fiat truck. In the past it wasn't.

The Ford vs. Chevy debate goes back a ways. I don't know how far back in time it goes, though.
Show me how it is a Fiat truck please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive