Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 10:28 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm still processing that people actually read tag frames.
Very true -- although I do think my niece's teacher has a funny one "My other ride is the USS Enterprise" on her Lexus CT. And, I only noticed that because my niece pointed it out to me when we were leaving her school.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 08:54 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I'd rather use someone else's money and not tie up my cash assets in a car. UNLESS that car is under, say, $7500. Above that, I'll finance and keep cash liquid. So my 740i was bought with cash ($7500 incl. tax & title) but my 330ci was financed ($9500). I'll probably pay the 330ci off early, but I have a buffer if I want it on months when I would rather go on a cruise or go to Scotland. I won't finance a trip or a nice dinner of course, but I will finance a car and won't think twice about it.

Buying a luxury car is no different than buying an economy car in that regard. But, for an enthusiast like me, I want the better driver's car vs something that might be slightly cheaper or a more boring appliance. I won't buy a cheap beater economy car just to prove I'm cheaper than the next guy, either.
At the prices you are quoting those are beater cars. At the prices you are quoting why not pay cash.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
False, my 401K averages 6-7 percent historically while car loans are at 3 percent.
That is awesome. So your entire wealth is in a 401K ?

Here is the deal. you finance what you need. You pay cash for what you want. If you want an expensive car you spend time saving for it. An expensive car that you can not pay cash for is a car that you can not afford.

You can tell me all day long how you are investing in a 401K and how you feel good about buying an expensive car. You can tell me all day how you are making 6 or 7 % on your money.

I put in 20% of my income to a 403B and I am doing much better than 6 or 7%. I also invest in other things as well. I don't invest in debt though.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:28 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Or more likely, it'll break down soon because they can afford the maintenance, then it'll be repossessed.

And this, on some level, makes you happy?

That's just sad.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:24 PM

71 posts, read 181,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Sometimes people just need to have that name brand luxury item to hold up their image no matter what.

I drive a 2003 Honda Civic with 166,000 miles on it and use a pre-paid cell phone.
Or some people are not worried about image at all, but would rather spend their money on a vehicle with improved creature comforts, advanced technology, safety and driving dynamics. Many luxury vehicles with 80,000 miles still drive and ride better than your typical brand new appliance Honda/Toyota. Pretty sure you don't eat Sardines and Spam each night just to save money. People spend their money on what they enjoy. You get what you pay for.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:17 AM

1 posts, read 512 times
Now so many types of license plate frames and covers are available in market. It is very difficult to choose good one for car or bike. I use Phantom Tag Protector license plate frames for my car. This is also anti camera plate frame. You can use it for your bike or car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive