Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 07:47 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,479,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
It's a unanimous, proven scientific fact that it harms the environment. It has nothing to do with politics, it's still a proven scientific fact.
Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 08:36 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,682,887 times
Quote:
It's a unanimous, proven scientific fact that it harms the environment. It has nothing to do with politics, it's still a proven scientific fact.

Fair enough. If it's a unanimous proven fact that is agreed upon by a group of scientists, then where is the list of scientists who have determined that this is fact? If it's unanimous then that means EVERY scientist who studies global warming has stated that idling harms the environment. Provide the list of scientists who have ALL determined this is indeed a fact and I'll join in.

Otherwise if even one scientist disputes that idling a vehicle is harmful to the environment then that theory is no longer a fact and we are back to theory again at which point facts are out the window.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:58 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,970,128 times
Quote:
Having kids is bad for the environment, yet people still have them.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:34 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,970,128 times
[quote=slowlane3;48315227]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
Idling like that is arrogant wastrel behavior, very common in America. Such people are completely ungrateful for where energy comes from and see it only in terms of dollars, not finite reserves. These people elected a President who wants to sell half the Strategic Petroleum Reserve because he thinks a relative pittance of shale oil will assure infinite supplies. Ignorance of geology is another one of his flaws. Idling is a yuuge form of waste, and ugly American behavior.
QUOTE]

At Disney World, Florida, I saw a certain gift shop with EIGHT separate doorways. EACH doorway is TWELVE feet wide and TEN feet high. ALL of them are KEPT OPEN, 365 days a year, letting cooled air escape outside, all day. The doors are never closed. Specifically, this is in the "downtown disney" section....... In N.Y.C. this would be ILLEGAL, however Florida's Governor has stated he has no opinion on global warming.
Do you think Florida's government is ever going to tell Disney what to do? Check out all those idling buses that take people to and from the parks from the resorts if that bothers you.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:20 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,567,629 times
You should demand they return their neighborhood carbon credits.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:39 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,610,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Hey people it's your car and you can do what you want to it, like I've said before people are to dam nosey and how did this discussion turn into a scientific study on weather you should let the engine warm up or not before you drive it who cares just drive the darn thing.
It shifted on a tangent.
In response to"who cares", Im assuming it is people who are very interested in automotive and mechanical design as well as those who make efforts to preserve their vehicles.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:45 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,682,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
It shifted on a tangent.
In response to"who cares", Im assuming it is people who are very interested in automotive and mechanical design as well as those who make efforts to preserve their vehicles.

This. Vehicles are expensive and it's foolish not to maintain them. When you know the detrimental effects of taking off in a cold vehicle and know that a few minutes to bring them up to temp preserves life why wouldn't you do it? It's much cheaper to burn a few gallons of fuel per year than to replace an engine.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:47 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,441,949 times
Quote:
It shifted on a tangent.
Were in your owners manual dose it say not to let your car idle for long periods of time. It gets me that some people think they know more their cars than the manufacture that design and build them.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:24 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,610,574 times
Edited this for you. My apologies, if I misconstrued your meaning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Where in your owners manual does it say not to let your car idle for long periods of time? It gets me that some people think they know more about their cars than the manufacturer that designed and built them.
I don't currently have an owner's manual, so I do not know the answer to your question. Neither, did I make any such claim.
Owners manuals have rarely ever held any in depth technical information and have never been my go to source for said info.
Manufacturer recommendations often err on the side if profit and, these days, lawsuits; rather than well sourced unbiased information.
I've often found much more knowledge, regarding design and maintenance, in the head of a die hard enthusiast or someone with many many hours of actual experience versus a corporate pamphlet.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:37 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,441,949 times
Quote:
Except for some designs and situations where it doesn't.
Quote:
Edited this for you. My apologies, if I misconstrued your meaning.

I don't currently have an owner's manual, so I do not know the answer to your question. Neither, did I make any such claim.
Owners manuals have rarely ever held any in depth technical information and have never been my go to source for said info.
Manufacturer recommendations often err on the side if profit and, these days, lawsuits; rather than well sourced unbiased information.
I've often found much more knowledge, regarding design and maintenance, in the head of a die hard enthusiast or someone with many many hours of actual experience versus a corporate pamphlet.
If you say so I live in metro Detroit we're I've have friends who are engineers who work for the big 3 I believe what they say because it's their vehicle they designed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive