Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 05:16 PM

6,119 posts, read 4,609,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
No it's none of your business.
Unless the idling is making lots of noise (which is quite common) and infringing on the quiet enjoyment of property. Then it is definitely the OP's business. Especially at very late night or early morning hours.

However, having noise restrictions enforced, or even having a polite conversation with the neighbor (which is the preferred way of dealing with it if it's that constant and annoying), about this kind of thing can be an uphill battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 05:18 PM

941 posts, read 3,911,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
No. Their vehicle, their property, their business.
It's our environment.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:24 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
How well do you know the neighbor? If they have ever made a suggestion or given advice to you without being asked first, then you have the right to do so here IMO. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

If they have minded their own business where you are concerned, it is probably better not to say anything IMO.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:41 PM

4,865 posts, read 2,674,972 times
yes..start it out like this, yelling over from across the yard...."hey dumbass, lemme tell ya something"........lol..

Old 05-24-2017, 05:50 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,201,438 times
Maybe he was a police officer and likes to sit in his car and reminisce about sitting in his car and idling when he was a police officer. What does he do while sitting in the car? Is he just listening to the radio? You could call the police and say you think your neighbor is passed out in his car and have them come out and do a check on him. Maybe he would then think that he would be better off in the house. The police might then call you back and tell you his explanation of why he is just sitting out there idling. The police may tell him that it is dangerous to sit in an idling car.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:16 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
My neighbor often would sit in the car parked in front of their house idling for 30mins to 1 hr while the car engine is running waiting for the spouse to return. They do that just so their nicer car can get into the garage while their normal car would block the driveway. I’ve been seeing this for years and never understood it. In the winter I see the car idling with the lights fully on. In the summer I hear the radiator fan going off as they got the AC on full blast inside. I don’t get it.
I would not tell them.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:36 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,648 times
Your neighbor is probably an introvert. Why do I think that? Because I'm an introvert and some times I'll get home and just sit in the driveway so I can clear my mind of the days activities and then making a mental list of for my schedule for the next day. The car is a great place to do this.

Does it harm the car, no.
Is he burning fuel, yes, but it's his fuel. A car idling uses very little fuel.

I would ignore it and go about my business.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:49 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I have redneck neighbors that do the same thing. Every morning for 15 minutes or so they let their cars warm up. This goes on year around. Wouldn't be so bad it they had mufflers.
Do you live on my street?

Old 05-24-2017, 07:53 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
My neighbor often would sit in the car parked in front of their house idling for 30mins to 1 hr while the car engine is running waiting for the spouse to return. They do that just so their nicer car can get into the garage while their normal car would block the driveway. I’ve been seeing this for years and never understood it. In the winter I see the car idling with the lights fully on. In the summer I hear the radiator fan going off as they got the AC on full blast inside. I don’t get it.
That's their business, don't say anything.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:06 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Actually, in NYC what they are doing is illegal as idling for more than three minutes is prohibited by law, reduced to one minute in a school zone. The law is not universally enforced, but it can be if there are complaints to the local precinct. You can also report it online: Vehicle Idling Complaint | City of New York The co-op board president of the white glove UES co-op where one of my aunts lives reports everyone in the vicinity of their property, such that I do not see many vehicles idling needlessly when I happen to be driving/walking by on my way from my house.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive