Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 08:17 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,779,138 times

Advertisements

How about a Nissan Maxima?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 05:58 PM

4,568 posts, read 3,767,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Says the man who's completely written off an entire model of car because his roommate drove a 23 year old version of one. I personally wouldn't have been impressed with that one either. Nobody said you have to use it as a daily driver, and even if you did you'd be fine.

My definition of a "car guy" isn't narrow at all. A guy driving a Corolla for 10 years at a time is a bit of a stretch. I just enjoy calling out people who knock other people's purchasing decisions then play victim when they get called out. You're making up your own narrative.

I didn't say you had to buy a Vette. That was an example of how you don't have to spend a fifth of your life driving a boring car into the ground to "save money". Keep your Corolla and buy something else. Driving the wheels off of it just means you're missing out on something else in the meantime.

Don't worry about what your fellow Americans are buying. That's their banks problem not yours and you'r not going to fix it regardless of what you buy anyway.
During the foreclosure crisis, my Vette was the only thing that actually held any value.
LOL, okay go ahead and make your almighty statement about me commenting on Americans to distract that you have a very narrow definition of a car guy and actually look down on all these people asking for advice with their cars. Or other enthusiasts who enjoy their cars but they don't fit your definition. You are an example of a disgrace in the car community - someone so arrogant who doesn't see past their own love of cars to see why others like cars.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:15 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,962,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
LOL, okay go ahead and make your almighty statement about me commenting on Americans to distract that you have a very narrow definition of a car guy and actually look down on all these people asking for advice with their cars. Or other enthusiasts who enjoy their cars but they don't fit your definition. You are an example of a disgrace in the car community - someone so arrogant who doesn't see past their own love of cars to see why others like cars.
Keep deflecting your own judgmental attitude. You spout off your opinions on the internet and I spout off mine. If you can't accept differing opinions on the internet then you're in for a rough ride.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:19 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times
Get an F Type S with a stick.
Obnoxious car to drive...not boring, though!

Old 07-06-2017, 03:03 PM

9,433 posts, read 11,188,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
You could also look at the new Honda Civic, Mazda3, Kia Forte5, the new Hyundai Elantra GT, and other sporty compacts that offer a sport model of their base car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Better start a large repair fund so when your warranty expires you can afford the expensive parts and repairs.
As the old joke about German cars goes, lease it and ditch it when the lease (warranty) is up!

VW/Audi don't have the greatest reliability rep.

I had an early Golf TDi (diesel) which I loved to death. I dumped it early because the third time the window/door lock went out, I thought, "How long do I want to pay for a 200-400 buck repair approximately semi-annually AFTER the 2/24 warranty runs out?" I traded it on an Accord.

OTOH our family has had six KIAs and they are pretty bulletproof. AND they have bookoo warranty, 5 years/60,000 miles bumper-to-bumper and 10/100K powertrain.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:58 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,251,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Better start a large repair fund so when your warranty expires you can afford the expensive parts and repairs.
No, just find a good independent VW-Audi mechanic, so that after the warranty runs out you never have to go to the VW dealership again.

I am lucky -- I have two great VW shops that I can go to. One I use for routine stuff like electrical stuff or brake pads, the other for timing belt changes and upgrades like the Malone engine remap. I have a TDI, not a GTI, but these two shops plus the guy I used to go to back in California have kept my Mk4 running for almost 14 years. Maintenance and repairs have cost me about 14 or 15 cents/mile which is not bad.

Stay away from dealerships if at all possible.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:59 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,251,983 times
I have given this more thought. I admit to a bias in favor of the Golf or GTI, since I am the happy owner of two Golfs.

Last weekend I put about 800 miles on my Golf with the original seats, then starting July 5th I put about 900 miles on the other Golf with Recaro seats over a three-day period.

While the current generation of GTIs do not have Recaro seats, or are at least not badged as Recaros, what they have are very much like Recaros. And there is a difference in the comfort level. So if a person is likely to do any long-distance driving, I would recommend the GTI over the basic Golf on that basis only.

What I prefer about the Golf is that it comes with the normal-profile 205/55R16H tires, so the ride should be more comfortable. And the Golf Wolfsburg Edition comes with what appear to be pretty good seats with lumbar support -- so maybe as good as the GTI seats.

If the OP is not looking for the highest level of performance, then I think the Golf Wolfsburg with 170 hp, 5-speed manual transmission, and attractive alloy wheels would be quite satisfactory for around $22,000. The GTI has more power, a 6-speed gearbox, and probably better handling, but for at least $6000 more. Both are sharp looking cars so I think the OP should consider both and maybe take a test drive in both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive