Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 09:57 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times

Advertisements

https://www.rlsmedia.com/article/upd...te-80-rockaway

Quote:
According to police, Michael O'Brien, 49, of Jersey City was adjusting his bicycle on his vehicle on the shoulder of Route 80 west near Exit 35 when he was struck and killed by a vehicle driven by Barbara Potts, 72, of Newark.
Shortly after the crash, both vehicles engulfed in flames.

I read many stories like this where a car parks on the shoulder and is struck by another car. How can someone driving on the highway and manage to crash into a parked car on the shoulder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 06:30 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
There are many reasons but most involve an impaired driver. They can be drunk, high, on prescription drugs that put one in a fog, fiddling with their phones, reaching for food or drink, adjusting the radio or navigation, fighting with the kids or significant other, or just plain drowsy lulled to it by the monotony of the highway.

In some cases people might actually be attracted to flashing lights either the hazards or emergency vehicle.

It just takes a few seconds when you are traveling at highway speeds to inch over and hit something.

If you need to pull over on the highway pull off the road if you can. It is very dangerous.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:56 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
https://www.rlsmedia.com/article/upd...te-80-rockaway

I read many stories like this where a car parks on the shoulder and is struck by another car. How can someone driving on the highway and manage to crash into a parked car on the shoulder.
I wish I knew. Someone I barely knew just got killed while riding as a patented in a large SUV that hit an 18 wheeler parked on a shoulder. I would love to know why.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:22 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,471,789 times
I will not stop on the shoulder of any highway unless my car completely breaks down, too many idiots

Old 07-10-2017, 10:04 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
There are many reasons but most involve an impaired driver. They can be drunk, high, on prescription drugs that put one in a fog, fiddling with their phones, reaching for food or drink, adjusting the radio or navigation, fighting with the kids or significant other, or just plain drowsy lulled to it by the monotony of the highway.

In some cases people might actually be attracted to flashing lights either the hazards or emergency vehicle.

It just takes a few seconds when you are traveling at highway speeds to inch over and hit something.

If you need to pull over on the highway pull off the road if you can. It is very dangerous.
on top of all this, the stupidity of " heck if they can drive there, so can i" also happens.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:28 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
I've seen cars just wander into it and drive for miles and not notice they're in it. I think it's time to put the lip back onto it so it sits higher than the normal driving lanes. People seem to not notice the rumble strip.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:02 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
We have had several people killed on the service shoulder this year. One was a policeman. Another was a teacher who stopped to help someone who was pulled over. A teen plowed into both cars and I think killed them both. I tell my kids if they pull onto the shoulder of the freeway and cannot reach an exit, either sty in the car, or get up the embankment and well away from the car. Too many distracted, exhausted, drunk or otherwise impaired drivers around to risk ever sitting on the shoulder. At least if you are in your car and get hit, you have some chance of surviving. If you get out and get hit, you have almost none.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:47 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Shoulders are a big danger-area, avoid if at all possible.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:55 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
I don't know, but if I was going to stop on the shoulder to adjust a load, I would pull as far off as possible, turn my hazard lights on, get out do what I had to do, get back in and go as quickly as possible, and watch approaching traffic at the same time.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:37 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Easily. Because I have seen so many people drive 1 foot off the bumper of the car in front of them, so obviously they can't see around this car because the car obstructs their view at a huge angle. So they dart onto the left or right paved shoulder to see around or try to "push" the 10,000 cars in front of them.

I see this EVERY day I drive in Illinois. Every. Single. Day. Plus many other things, but this one is one of my personal favorites because it's so dangerous. It's also one of my personal favorites because there is usually a line of 10,000 cars that the person is trying to see around, like it's going to do any good if they know there are 9999 cars or 10,000 cars in front of the truck they're tailgating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive