Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 05:43 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times

Advertisements

Depends how much a person drives. if using standard 12k miles a year, the difference between $2 and $4 a gallon is really not that much in fuel cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 05:44 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Back to $3.00 a gallon? It's been there for at least a couple of months here and never got much below $2.60. If/when gas gets back up to $4 a gallon I doubt the demand for suvs and pickups will drop much.
Depends on the taxes. Where I live we average $1.95 for regular.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:15 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
So true.
Splashing $70K for a hybrid is foolish, I can literally buy a lifetime of gas for that money.
Agreed. There are much cheaper hybrids for sale...

Old 07-28-2017, 09:11 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,237,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
If something drastic happened like back to back cat 4/5 hurricanes in the gulf or the wrong middle east country gets angry and gas went back to $3-4 and stayed there, would there still be a strong demand for Crossovers, SUV's and Pick Ups or would this send people back to Full Size Sedans or the return of Station Wagons?

It's a question of income and means. If such a vehicle were practical for someone with the means to pay for it, then they'll buy it. Whether the market would be large enough to incentivize manufacturing is another matter. My guess is yes... there would be enough buyers to make it profitable.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:30 PM

19,788 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I doubt it. For some insane reason most people in this country think bigger is better. They don't care that the monstrosities they drive are making our enemies in the middle east richer. They want to make up for shortcomings with a "dig me" behemoth.
I have a Prius and a full size Silverado. I need a truck for a lot of what I do. My son uses it for work. For just the wife and I on around town jaunts- we drive the Prius.

Why the hate? Some people need a 'monstrous' truck cause they use them.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Why the hate? Some people need a 'monstrous' truck cause they use them.
Some people indeed need a 'monstrous' truck. We aren't talking about them.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:51 AM

779 posts, read 596,645 times
Fuel is dirt cheap in the US, compared to the average income at least.

I'm curious, what would happen if prices got up to the European level (~1.5 euros for 1 liter=~6 dollars per gallon) and stayed there for a long period of time, even indefinitely, would the preferred choice of vehicles shift dramatically from the V6's and V8' and trucks to hybrids and other 4-bangers? Would people still buy trucks for grocery shopping? What would happen?

Old 07-29-2017, 02:31 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post

I'm curious, what would happen if prices got up to the European level (~1.5 euros for 1 liter=~6 dollars per gallon) and stayed there for a long period of time, even indefinitely, would the preferred choice of vehicles shift dramatically from the V6's and V8' and trucks to hybrids and other 4-bangers? Would people still buy trucks for grocery shopping? What would happen?
You'll probably see a drastic change that kind of behavior. My nephew just bought a 4wd truck to get mulch twice a year. I doubt commuting to work at $6 each way will make more fiancial sense than the $25 Home Depot truck rental for that sort of thing twice a year.

Historically US truck sales plummet with every gas spike. Then people run out in a panic buying fuel line magnets and "mileage booster" fuel additives and other stupid gimmicks.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:28 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post

I don't think that would be so much an automotive thing at that point so much as an urban planning thing. I think when you see relatively small shifts in gas prices, then people might start buying smaller cars. When you see huge shifts, people change their patterns of where they buy homes/want to live. Right now there is a lot of growth in outer suburbs and exurbs in terms of building, but if people are driving 30+ miles one way to work, that would equate to $12 a day just in gas costs before parking, wear and tear, tolls, etc, for an okay car.

While fuel is far more expensive in Europe, most cities have good public transportation options. You might not need to be as reliant on the car as you are in the U.S.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:44 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I doubt it. For some insane reason most people in this country think bigger is better. They don't care that the monstrosities they drive are making our enemies in the middle east richer. They want to make up for shortcomings with a "dig me" behemoth.
You'd make a stronger case if you didn't resort to the lame "shortcomings" comment etc.

P.S. Anymore a lot of the oil in this country comes from here and our enemies in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive