Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 11:50 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
Fuel is dirt cheap in the US, compared to the average income at least.

I'm curious, what would happen if prices got up to the European level (~1.5 euros for 1 liter=~6 dollars per gallon) and stayed there for a long period of time, even indefinitely, would the preferred choice of vehicles shift dramatically from the V6's and V8' and trucks to hybrids and other 4-bangers? Would people still buy trucks for grocery shopping? What would happen?
Great post.

The radical difference in taxes is the only significant difference is global and US gas prices.

Exception to that being in places where land costs a lot of money like if there is a gas station in downtown LA they have to charge more to cover the capital investment of the land.

But that's a localized phenomenon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 01:03 PM

564 posts, read 448,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I doubt it. For some insane reason most people in this country think bigger is better. They don't care that the monstrosities they drive are making our enemies in the middle east richer. They want to make up for shortcomings with a "dig me" behemoth.
Gimme a break! EPA/NHTSB pushed Americans into little cars they didn't want.. They slowly replaced the comfortable cars and station wagons they preferred with the SUV, now a favorite target of the name calling PC crowd. Must we all be of one mind?

Old 07-29-2017, 01:33 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
If something drastic happened like back to back cat 4/5 hurricanes in the gulf or the wrong middle east country gets angry and gas went back to $3-4 and stayed there, would there still be a strong demand for Crossovers, SUV's and Pick Ups or would this send people back to Full Size Sedans or the return of Station Wagons?
I prefer Subaru, and am awaiting the time when they will start making all electric vehicles with sizable driving ranges. I like vehicles that are well engineered, have great handling and cornering, high safety standards, powerful enough, and fuel efficient.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:10 PM

564 posts, read 448,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Try and tow a good size RV trailer with a Prius, Impala, Corolla, Kia, etc.
Oh, don't you know? They're bad for the environment. And driving them around just leads to another polar bear drowning! Your time would be better spent learning how to get by with just one square off your TP roll.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:36 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
Good luck getting a small sedan up the road to my property. This wasn't even really mud season yet either when photographed. 4 wheel drive and high ground clearance is a necessity where I live. Then add in needing to occasionally haul firewood and other things...
Attached Thumbnails
If gas prices went back to -4 and stayed there, would there still be a demand for Crossovers, SUV's and Pick Ups?-img_0501.jpg  

Old 07-29-2017, 04:42 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Good luck getting a small sedan up the road to my property. This wasn't even really mud season yet either when photographed. 4 wheel drive and high ground clearance is a necessity where I live. Then add in needing to occasionally haul firewood and other things...
What would you say the minimum ground clearance needed for that type of road? I am familiar with many areas of the North Country and Northwoods, but generally stay away from dirt roads during mud season..

Old 07-29-2017, 04:54 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
What would you say the minimum ground clearance needed for that type of road? I am familiar with many areas of the North Country and Northwoods, but generally stay away from dirt roads during mud season..
My f150 has about 9 inches of ground clearance and still on occasion bottoms out but manages.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:09 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,398,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
So true.
Splashing $70K for a hybrid is foolish, I can literally buy a lifetime of gas for that money.
Nobody spends $70k on a hybrid to save money, they do it because they want to drive a $70k car that also happens to be a hybrid.

I drive a $56k hybrid and as you can imagine, fuel cost is immaterial to my life- I could have just as easily purchased the non-hybrid version of exactly the same car. I just happen to enjoy getting to work on electric alone, and I love the way hybrids drive (completely, 100% silent under 40mph under correct conditions). Makes luxury cars feel much more luxurious. My last car was a Lexus ES300h and now I drive an RX450h; they are just so much quieter than their gas counterparts in normal usage.

I couldn't care less about the $20 or so I save each month on gas, if it's even that much. My car does get awesome mileage compared to its gas counterpart, but it makes zero difference to my overall financial wellbeing- efficiency and silence are just two things I happen to enjoy as part of my overall list of desires when I'm buying a car. I really hope my next car is a Tesla.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:20 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Looks like you need to get some crushed asphalt or limestone hauled in there.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:36 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,988,903 times
Yup. I've got my eye on a 78 C10. Regardless of gas prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive