Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 08:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,662,850 times

Advertisements

The five best-selling vehicles in America so far this year are all pickups and crossovers. I see nothing wrong with that. In fact, I think regular cars are a little ridiculous. Not only are cars more dangerous to be in than SUVs/crossovers, it's better for your orthopedic health to get in and out of a vehicle that doesn't require ducking and crouching just to get in or out.

Best selling vehicles in the US so far this year (2017):

1. Ford F-Series
2. Chevrolet Silverado
3. Ram P/U
4. Toyota RAV4
5. Nissan Rogue

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2017/07...-rankings.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 08:44 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,587,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
If something drastic happened like back to back cat 4/5 hurricanes in the gulf or the wrong middle east country gets angry and gas went back to $3-4 and stayed there, would there still be a strong demand for Crossovers, SUV's and Pick Ups or would this send people back to Full Size Sedans or the return of Station Wagons?
I bought my trusty old 1997 chevy tahoe about 4 years ago when gas was close to $4 a gallon and it's my daily driver. I don't worry about gas prices because my vehicle is a necessity. I don't have a $700 iphone every 6 months with $150 phone bills every month.

People need to learn on what to complain about in life. You can throw money away on fast food and eating at restaurants and buying iphones all the time but complain about gas prices? I don't need all that crap but i need a vehicle.

And my SUV paid for itself and then some the first year i had with all the trips i made to lowes and home depot and buying furniture for my place not needed to rent a truck or ask for help. Also i'm currently moving out i just made several trips to my storage box moving stuff. Saved myself over $100 every trip moving stuff over the years not having to rent a uhaul

Old 07-29-2017, 09:58 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I doubt it. For some insane reason most people in this country think bigger is better.
Pretty sure that reason is safety. If they get into a collision, they want to make sure that they get less damage to their vehicle (and by extension, its occupants) than the vehicle they collide with. In conversations I've had with behemoth owners, it's a recurring theme.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:02 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,753,593 times
It WILL go up. And when it does the price of monster SUV trucks will fall. Middle to Upper Middle class will still buy them as status symbols. Everyone else will adjust.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:22 PM
KCZ

4,664 posts, read 3,660,797 times
I've found that the major determinant of what size/type of vehicle you need is whether your town has curbside trash/recycling pickup, not gasoline price. If you have to haul your trash and recycling bags to the dump or collection center every week, you have a decidedly different perspective on the cargo area and odor dispersion ability of your vehicle.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:54 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I doubt it. For some insane reason most people in this country think bigger is better. They don't care that the monstrosities they drive are making our enemies in the middle east richer. They want to make up for shortcomings with a "dig me" behemoth.
People should be able to drive what they want to drive. Why should the listen to what YOU want? Ride a bike if you feel that way. We are becoming more, and more energy independent thanks to Trump. We get a small percentage of our oil from the middle east anyway.

Liberals always want to control what others do because of their own shortcomings. Get a life.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:55 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I prefer Subaru, and am awaiting the time when they will start making all electric vehicles with sizable driving ranges. I like vehicles that are well engineered, have great handling and cornering, high safety standards, powerful enough, and fuel efficient.

So, you want to drive a coal powered car then? Ok, get what you want, its a somewhat free country.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:41 AM

82 posts, read 97,453 times
Shortly after my daughter got her drivers license, she got rearended on an icy stretch of busy highway. The inatentave driver was driving way too fast, and slid right into the back of the older Chevy Blazer she was driving. The accident put a crease in the back bumper on her car, and she had a mild case of whiplash from the impact. His little weedwacker mini Pontiac, with it's crumple zone front end was a total loss. The airbag nearly crushed him, and the fire department rescue team needed the "jaws of life " to extricate him from the vehicle.
Every member of my family who drives, has an AWD or 4WD vehicle. We get our share of ice, and deep snow, but I have never been late to work due to bad roads. I like a vehicle thats easy to get in and out of, and puts me up a little higher, for better visibility, especially when it's foggy out. Our vehicles are easier for other drivers to see than some of the low slung economy vehicles that get 2 or 3 more miles per gallon than we do. I would always prefer to be in the larger, heavier vehicle in an accident. They sustain less damage.
So, if gas went up to it's historical highs, would I change my driving habits, and drive a small, econonical car ? You already know the answer....not on your life.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:48 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,376,511 times
gas is DOWN to about $3 a gallon here right now, and there are SUVs galore. People get used to paying more.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:46 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
Shortly after my daughter got her drivers license, she got rearended on an icy stretch of busy highway. The inatentave driver was driving way too fast, and slid right into the back of the older Chevy Blazer she was driving. The accident put a crease in the back bumper on her car, and she had a mild case of whiplash from the impact. His little weedwacker mini Pontiac, with it's crumple zone front end was a total loss. The airbag nearly crushed him, and the fire department rescue team needed the "jaws of life " to extricate him from the vehicle.
Every member of my family who drives, has an AWD or 4WD vehicle. We get our share of ice, and deep snow, but I have never been late to work due to bad roads. I like a vehicle thats easy to get in and out of, and puts me up a little higher, for better visibility, especially when it's foggy out. Our vehicles are easier for other drivers to see than some of the low slung economy vehicles that get 2 or 3 more miles per gallon than we do. I would always prefer to be in the larger, heavier vehicle in an accident. They sustain less damage.
So, if gas went up to it's historical highs, would I change my driving habits, and drive a small, econonical car ? You already know the answer....not on your life.
But if everybody is driving an SUV than it's likely the car hitting you will also be a 7000lb SUV negating the size advantage. If everybody drove a garbage truck than an H1 Hummer would be the "little weedwacker mini Pontiac". It's good some people think outside the herd a little otherwise the consistent one upmanship would mean everybody would end up driving MRAPs just to go to Walgreens.

It sounds like your perception of a small car's gas mileage may be outdated. It's more like 15 mpgs better than older large SUV's these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive