Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 02:39 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
For a hybrid car, don't all of the electrics ultimately run off electricity generated by the IC engine? Doesn't the charger for the battery run off of the IC engine? If the front wheels are connected to the motor/generator then when the IC engine is pushing the vehicle along there is drag due to the operation of the charger, right? Is the mechanical/electrical system of your car explained on the net somewhere?
"Curious minds want to know"
If I remember how generators work parts don't really need to touch to create a current.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 04:09 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
The power to drive the generator/charger has to come from somewhere.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:09 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Don't tell Iowa that.
So is it ethanol or the lack of ethanol people feel like they need an additive for?
No idea. But Some of the Heet gas dryers, which are very popular in Alaska, has Methanol. The one that sells the most is the red color can of Heet. It's used to aid with the removal of moisture in the fuel tank.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:11 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,261,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I have a Camry Hybrid with 47K miles. At the beginning of a three hundred fifty mile trip I added Toyota's fuel injector cleaner to a full tank of gas for the first time. My front wheels regenerate the hybrid battery as they rotate. During the last leg of the trip which was about 100 miles, I got 44 MPG.

I understand that the hybrid battery was constantly being recharged over the two days, but at highway speeds with the AC on, 44 MPG is more than impressive.

What are your thoughts on crud build up on fuel injectors, and gasoline additives to resolve it.
Many years ago I drove a Chevy Celebrity that had a fuel injection engine. I asked my mechanic if it was a good idea to use an additive that was made specifically for fuel injectors. He told me then to stay away from them as gasoline had enough detergents and cleaners. I would imagine now 20 years later that would be even more true.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
No idea. But Some of the Heet gas dryers, which are very popular in Alaska, has Methanol. The one that sells the most is the red color can of Heet. It's used to aid with the removal of moisture in the fuel tank.
They switched from ethanol to methanol some bignum years ago so people would stop drinking it.
Not needed now that regular gas has ethanol which mixes with the water in your tank and moves it out. Except when it just sits there in your lawnmower until spring in which case it messes things up. Maybe in Alaska, like the Northeast, in Winter they don't add the ethanol?

Old 08-05-2017, 10:30 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
They switched from ethanol to methanol some bignum years ago so people would stop drinking it.
Not needed now that regular gas has ethanol which mixes with the water in your tank and moves it out. Except when it just sits there in your lawnmower until spring in which case it messes things up. Maybe in Alaska, like the Northeast, in Winter they don't add the ethanol?
You are correct. Methanol can be corrosive, so parking a car for winter with a full tank of fuel that contains methanol is said to cause corrosion in the tank. But I have no idea about such things. All I know is that our gasoline in Alaska does not have methanol, and that Heet does help dry the fuel in the tank during the winter.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:41 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,043,347 times
I don't think any perceived improvement in performance when adding fuel injector cleaner is actually due to the fuel injectors themselves. If there were real FI issues you would probably be taking the vehicle in for service. These additives clean the entire fuel system and IMHO the majority of improvement comes from the cleaner throttle body and sensors therein being cleaned. Similar results can be had by using higher octane fuels and/or doing an Italian tune-up. That said I have used Techron and it is effective and is much safer than the Italian tune-up!

Old 08-06-2017, 07:44 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
Similar results can be had by using higher octane fuels...
Ugh, octane is used to resist "ping", it does absolutely nothing else. High octane fuel (from the same brand) has Nothing more than a higher level of octane in it with a few very rare exception that advertise more detergents. Octane absolutely, positively can NOT "clean" anything. It *does* have a placebo effect of "I spent my money on it, so I'm going to notice a difference" combined with a less violent explosion (which means less total power) that "feels" smoother.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:36 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,043,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Ugh, octane is used to resist "ping", it does absolutely nothing else. High octane fuel (from the same brand) has Nothing more than a higher level of octane in it with a few very rare exception that advertise more detergents. Octane absolutely, positively can NOT "clean" anything. It *does* have a placebo effect of "I spent my money on it, so I'm going to notice a difference" combined with a less violent explosion (which means less total power) that "feels" smoother.
Certainly I'm no automotive expert but I would contend that a higher octane fuel, which requires a higher combustion temp thereby reducing pre-ignition, also produces a hotter burn, resulting in the combustion chamber components being cleaner, like the spark plug and valves, resulting in improved performance. What I'm proposing is that the very fact that it reduces pinging in of itself is a cleaning process as the fuel is burned more completely than pre-ignited fuel.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
Certainly I'm no automotive expert but I would contend that a higher octane fuel, which requires a higher combustion temp thereby reducing pre-ignition, also produces a hotter burn, resulting in the combustion chamber components being cleaner, like the spark plug and valves, resulting in improved performance. What I'm proposing is that the very fact that it reduces pinging in of itself is a cleaning process as the fuel is burned more completely than pre-ignited fuel.
Here we go, amateurs discussing combustion chemistry. Higher octane fuel will not ignite as readily as regular. That is why it does not knock until a higher compression ratio. The fuel is used in a research combustion engine with a variable compression rating. Iso-octane has a rating of 100. This is because it ignites and burns slowly, thus it does not knock at the test compression ratio. The flame front of high octane fuel is slower than low octane fuel.
Premium fuel has less energy so that it will work in higher compression engines.
https://www.thoughtco.com/gasoline-a...verview-602180
Summary:
"High octane gasoline does not outperform regular octane gasoline
in preventing engine deposits from forming, in removing them, or in cleaning the engine.
However modern high octane fuels may contain additional detergents
to help protect high compression engines. Consumers should select
the lowest octane grade at which the car's engine runs without knocking.

Occasional light knocking or pinging won't harm the engine and
doesn't indicate a need for higher octane. On the other hand,
a heavy or persistent knock may result in engine damage.
"

That is when you need to switch to a higher octane or pour in some snake oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive