Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 04:32 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Don't tell Iowa that.
So is it ethanol or the lack of ethanol people feel like they need an additive for?
Or Michigan.

Where is this referring to? The tip of Maine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 06:53 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
As two hybrids owner, my opinion is - don't worry. Stay with petrol that has cleaninmg additives in it. That's it.
Btw, AC in TCH is electric, so it draws no power from the engine.
Depending on you TCH year, you may also have electric water pump. Power steering is also electric.
It REALLY boils down to the year. There was excessive oil consumption issue with earlier TCH models, later fixed by better piston train. With younger models, you should be using Seafom about twice a year via gas tank. BUt NOT every tankful. No need.
So post your year so that I can give better advice.
2014 Thanks

Old 08-05-2017, 07:21 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,826 times
One of the reasons why I used the additive on my Camry was because my wife's SUV needed her fuel injectors cleaned after 42K. We went in asking for an oil change.

No check engine light. It wasn't really idling roughly. One problem is that the newer cars don't have a tachometer.

I used EXXON at least twice while I was in Florida over the course of six months.

This was a $200 job on a car that is just broken in. Was I taken to the cleaners?

Old 08-05-2017, 07:26 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Or Michigan.

It certainly does not apply to Montana!

Old 08-05-2017, 07:27 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Quote:
Gasoline already contains detergents that help keep the injectors clean. Additives do nothing more than what is already there. Kind of like the old shampoo bottle instructions Lather, rinse, repeat. Why repeat? because we want you to spend more moeny on shampoo, no other reason.

I disagree. Some years ago, my Caddy was running rough so I took it to the Cadillac dealer. Several injectors were plugged and the tech told me I should have been running some injector cleaner. So, occasionally, I pick up a bottle of Quicksilver Quick Clean at work and dump it in my tank when the car starts to idle rough. Day or two later, the car is running smoothly again.

I just pulled the injectors out of a Mustang I am redoing, and tested them all on the bench. After running a load of injector cleaner through them, the spray pattern was much improved, and they went back in.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:26 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,738,278 times
Fuel injector cleaners help evaporate condensation that forms in ALL fuel tanks. That alone will help with performance.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:29 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,042,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I have a Camry Hybrid with 47K miles. At the beginning of a three hundred fifty mile trip I added Toyota's fuel injector cleaner to a full tank of gas for the first time. My front wheels regenerate the hybrid battery as they rotate. During the last leg of the trip which was about 100 miles, I got 44 MPG.

I understand that the hybrid battery was constantly being recharged over the two days, but at highway speeds with the AC on, 44 MPG is more than impressive.

What are your thoughts on crud build up on fuel injectors, and gasoline additives to resolve it.

Snake oil. Unless your car's fuel system is really really filthy, high mileage, petrified elephant vomit coating the insides of the chambers, you're not going to feel a difference.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:36 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
As two hybrids owner, my opinion is - don't worry. Stay with petrol that has cleaninmg additives in it. That's it.
Btw, AC in TCH is electric, so it draws no power from the engine.
Depending on you TCH year, you may also have electric water pump. Power steering is also electric.
<>
For a hybrid car, don't all of the electrics ultimately run off electricity generated by the IC engine? Doesn't the charger for the battery run off of the IC engine? If the front wheels are connected to the motor/generator then when the IC engine is pushing the vehicle along there is drag due to the operation of the charger, right? Is the mechanical/electrical system of your car explained on the net somewhere?
"Curious minds want to know"

Old 08-05-2017, 01:39 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
One of the reasons why I used the additive on my Camry was because my wife's SUV needed her fuel injectors cleaned after 42K. We went in asking for an oil change.

No check engine light. It wasn't really idling roughly. One problem is that the newer cars don't have a tachometer.

I used EXXON at least twice while I was in Florida over the course of six months.

This was a $200 job on a car that is just broken in. Was I taken to the cleaners?
I have two 2015 models and a 2016. All three have a tachometer. I always use top tier gas and I've never had any fuel injector problems on any vehicle I've ever owned.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:19 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Quote:
Or Michigan.

Iowa is the source of corn from which much of our ethanol is derived.
"The rest we just drink"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive