Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 03:39 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times

Advertisements

Around here, the Honda CRV is the vehicle of choice for retirees. If they want a little luxury, they get the Lexus RX. Both smooth riding vehicles with excellent reliability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 04:54 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Around here, the Honda CRV is the vehicle of choice for retirees. If they want a little luxury, they get the Lexus RX. Both smooth riding vehicles with excellent reliability.
Very true. I see lots of "older" women driving CRV's.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:06 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
This whole discussion started when my husband and I were getting gas yesterday and remarking how we got good gas mileage with our Versa (we check the mpg every time if we remember it). I said that I don't think Nissan makes this car any more so it's gonna be hard to replace it. THAT's what started the discussion. I think the Versa hatchback is a little bit shorter than the sedan (the styling looks more swoopy to me.. I haven't sat in one.) So I'd be out looking for something from scratch, when I'm in the market.

No, I just read in one of the car magazines that's featuring new 2018 cars that Nissan is making the Versa sedan and hatchback for 2018. Yours isn't having a slipping transmission or a sputtering engine, is it? You might be just fine keeping the Versa sedan and running it. I like the Nissan Versa sedan - I would buy a 5-speed stick model.

The Nissan Juke is being discontinued, however.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:59 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,394,423 times
Retirement takes different forms for different folks. After I retired we bought a small travel trailer. Our travels took us at different times from Nova Scotia to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. We are getting older now at 83 and 82. We sold the trailer 2 years ago and traded the Nissan Xterra that towed it for a convertible. Hunting on line we found a 3 year old with 12,000 miles on it. Our driving now is local to fetch groceries and do errands. We put about 4,000 miles a year on it, so it may well be the last car we will own. We did enjoy our travels when we could.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:23 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
We are now over seventy (71 & 74) and our Buick rusted out. So we went looking for a retirement car and bought a 2004 C-5 Corvette coupe. Reasonable power, decent handling and good brakes. It rides a bit stiff but we drove it from New Hampshire to Yellowstone National Park year before last. The car suits us very well.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:24 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
One word, "convertible".

Old 08-10-2017, 09:31 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My dad and his neighbor (both mid 80s) tried all kinds of different cars to determine which are the easiest for a large stiff person to get in and out of. They each tested over 20 cars (nice to be retired and have lots of time). They both chose the Buick Encore. That may be a good option. Personally, I hate it, but I am a car guy. If you like Nissan Versa, you will probably love the Encore.

If you want tiny tiny, look at Chevy Spark. I drove with my daughter and all of her worldly goods, my tent, an air mattress and some pillows for camping - from Detroit to Yuma Arizona. With the seat all the way back, I had comfortable legroom and I am 6'1" somewhat over 220 and have a 36" inseam. The downside was we had to move her stuff back and forth each time we changed drivers so I could put the seat all the way back. For such a small car, it had a surprising amount of room. It could eventually get up to speeds in excess of 85 mph. The ride is not great, but all those little cheap cars are that way. There is quite a bit of road noise. We got very good MPG. Oh and it cost less than $15,000 new. I would not buy one for me, but she likes it well enough that when the insurance company totaled it after a hailstorm she decided to buy it back form them and drive it dents and all.Most important - it is "cute," especially when you add eyelashes to the headlights.
She had to "buy back" her own car from the insurance company? How does that work?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:25 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
She had to "buy back" her own car from the insurance company? How does that work?
If your car is totaled insurance gives you a check for the value before the damage and they keep the damaged car usually to be auctioned off. But you usually have the option to buy it back from them at the salvage value.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:36 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
The KIA Soul might be what you want. Entry and exit is very easy with wide doors and an upright( but still adjustable) seating position. Its like sitting in a chair with no climbing or lowering. Just get in and get out. Ride and road manners are also good for a small car. Certainly similar to the Versa in size. It gets about 24 MPG in stop and go traffic, 36 strictly highway. 40 MPG if you can find real gas, no ethanol. I'm 6 feet tall and 200 pounds and the seat supports me well and its very roomy inside, front and back. Visibility is good and its been trouble free for three years and very reliable.
It was a bargain considering the value and build quality and inexpensive price. Its also higher than most sedans at 63 inches and like a little SUV in height. In winter, it is also blessed with about the fastest to warm up heater I've ever seen. Amazing.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:57 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,334,499 times
If you liked the Nissan so far, I would check out a new Nissan Sentra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive