Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 05:36 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Since you wish to avoid SUVs and minivans, you will need a full size sedan. If you want to go American, try Chevy Impala, Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300, Lincoln MKZ, Lincoln Continental, and Cadillac XTS. But you'd better hurry because there are rumors that the Chevy Impala and Cadillac XTS will disappear soon. If you want to go foreign, Toyota Avalon or any one of the big three German sedans from Mercedes, BMW, or Audi.
Would suggest you try out the back seats of the cars you're interested in and look at the shape of the seat and in particular, the center position - how comfortable is it for the center passenger?

Are your kids all in car seats, or boosters? That may also be a factor - to see if you can fit them all installed.

I'd also consider the Buick LaCrosse as another model to consider.

The Toyota Avalon is probably as apple pie as the other domestic names, given that it is designed for North American tastes and built in Georgetown, KY. It's way too big for pretty much the rest of the world's markets...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 12:06 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
FWD so no drive tunnel, full-sized. Avalon, Impala, Azera, etc. Taurus is so poorly packed it's not actually more roomy than most mid-size cars despite being longer than a Explorer. You said sedan. Obviously a crossover or minivan with the third row. But a minivan isn't any larger than a full-sized sedan really. Sienna is shorter and slightly wider than a Taurus. If you looked at a Taurus there's no reason not to look at minivans.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:16 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
Lincoln town car, get an L model ,if you need extra leg room as well.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:16 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,301,109 times
Toyota Avalon.....big, roomy, quiet & dependable, if you are dead set on a sedan.

Age of your kids is a valid point. I have 3 kids and I've managed in a Honda Accord for the past 5 years, but that's because by the time my 3rd came a long, my older 2 kids were 10 & 11. So I never had 3 in carseats or boosters. When my older 2 were small, there was a long period of time when both were in carseats/boosters and I had a Volvo V70 wagon that was fantastic. It lasted for 200k miles with minimal problems and was VERY comfortable, and had more cargo room than most SUV's.

Speaking of wagons...they drive like a car but offer a lot of cargo room that goes along with kids. A used V70 would be a great choice. And one of my colleagues is loyal to her VW wagons. Just a thought.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:31 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Really with three kids the following are the best option in order of preference IMO:

1.Full sized conversion van.

2. Larger version of a minivan (Like Grand Caravan - smaller ones have no room). Doors on both sides. Minivans tend to be a bit cramped,but I put them above full size SUVs due to ease of access to all the seats as long as you have doors on both sides and 4 captains chairs with a bench in the back.

Full Sized SUV

Sedan or smaller SUV/CUV.

Keep in mind that your kids will have friends. They will also have stuff. Just going to soccer games you need the equipment, your chairs, snacks, maybe a cooler, some water, possibly the family dog and food and bowls for said dog, diapers and other accessories for the younger kids. . . If you have three kids in the back and two adults in front, where is the dog going to go? They cannot go in the trunk. What about the buddy whose parents could not make it and so he needs a ride home? When they go to band events, where will you put the instruments, music stands, etc?

More space is always better in our experience. We have 5 kids (now mostly grown) and we never had enough space even in a full sized van. We considered getting a 15 passenger (extended) van, but my wife did not want to drive what is basically a bus. Instead we just pile kids and stuff on top of each other, put adults ont he floor to make more room for kids, ect.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:15 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
IF the kids are young or small keep this in mind:
From AAA:
Children ages 8 until 17 are required to wear a seatbelt in all seats.
Children ages 4 until 8 must ride in a child safety seat or booster seat
unless they are over 4 feet 9 inches or weigh more than 40 lbs.
Children under age 4 must be restrained in a child passenger restraint system.

It's tough to load little ones in a small car.
"Mom! He touched me!! Waugh"
That's the bare minimum requirements. A 50 pound kid should still be in a booster until he is 4"9" tall. Man states have requirements that are stricter than the minimum.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:36 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Mercedes S class, BMW 7 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
BMW 7 Series.
While I have a 7 series, and loved my long wheelbase 740iL version for it's rear legroom:

The 7 is really a 4 seater with room for a temporary 5th person in back. Newer ones even more so. And while I love and recommend them all the time to enthusiasts, I'm not going to recommend one as a mom-mobile for someone who cannot DIY repairs.

And in this instance, smaller cars will be worse than larger cars or the minivans.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:08 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Not many modern cars have the room (width) to comfortably seat 3 people.

So-called "large" cars like the Toyota Avalon are just too narrow. The aforementioned Lincoln Town Car L-series had the room.

Here is a photo of a 1969 Cadillac de Ville, with over 60 inches of shoulder room, 3 could comfortably sit in the rear seat.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:46 AM

948 posts, read 3,356,950 times
Cannot afford a bmw or Mercedes. I'd like to spend less and save some money as well. I took a test drive if a Ford Edge and didnt like the bulky feel or the handling and engine feel. I had my son sit in a Ford Focus ST and it was comfy. I took it for a test drive and it was awesome. Great handling and comfort and good price. I'm still looking but never thought a small car could have a comfy back seat.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:29 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,470,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
Cannot afford a bmw or Mercedes. I'd like to spend less and save some money as well. I took a test drive if a Ford Edge and didnt like the bulky feel or the handling and engine feel. I had my son sit in a Ford Focus ST and it was comfy. I took it for a test drive and it was awesome. Great handling and comfort and good price. I'm still looking but never thought a small car could have a comfy back seat.
Did you test the back seat with 3 people? the Focus won't have much room
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive