Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 10:59 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times

Advertisements

I've gotten pulled about six times in my life, and have gotten two tickets. Both for speeding. One particular time was a very interesting traffic stop. I was heading up to Roanoke and had gotten pulled right before entering Roanoke County. The officer who came up to my window looked no older than 16 years old. I swear, he looked like he still had "peach fuse" on his face. Looks like he had never shaved a day in his life. He started with the typical question of "do you know why I pulled you over", and I honestly didn't know. He said, "You were going a little too fast." Never told me how fast I was going, however, he told me he wasn't going to give me a ticket. He still wanted to run my info, so he took my driver's license. But, before he went back to his patrol car, he asked me if I had any drugs or weapons in the car, in which I told him I did not. Well, when he comes back, he hands me my license back, says he's not going to give me a ticket, but then proceeds to ask me again if I had any drugs or weapons in the car. I was very confused, but politely told him that the answer was still no. So then, he asks if he could search my car. By this point, he had another officer pull up who proceeded to frisk us (I had two of my friends in the car with me, one being a female), on the side of the road. The first officer was going through every little nook and cranny of my car, and of course, found nothing.

While I did verbally give the first officer permission to search my vehicle, I made a comment to the second officer that I didn't think vehicles could be searched without a warrant and without probable cause. Also questioned the fact that a male officer was frisking a female who had no warrant no probable cause. They immediately stopped what they were doing and said we were free to go. The first officer said he could have given me a ticket for reckless driving since it had been raining and he was fish tailing trying to catch up to me. The truth of the matter is, The highway was 55 MPH, and I was going right at 55 MPH. However, at some point, the limit goes down to 45 MPH, so it's quite possible I may have still been going 55 MPH, however, that would not have warranted a reckless driving ticket. Reckless driving in the Commonwealth of VA is 15 and over, not 10. Also, with the weather conditions, it had barely misted rain, not even enough to damping the roads, thus, that couldn't have warranted a reckless driving ticket. Of course, I wasn't going to question that, but it was the oddest traffic stop I had ever been a part of. They got really nervous when I started, casually, asking the legality of the searches they were doing, which prompted them to quickly stop what they were doing and let us go.

I chalked it up as a possible training exercise for the young guy, but it was the weirdest traffic stop I have ever been a part of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 11:39 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,663,404 times
Dependent on what car I was driving. In my Mercedes I have never been pulled over but in my very old Honda Civic, that my wife called a trash can with wheels I was pulled over many times. The cops would always lie, saying a taillight was out, or they thought my inspection or registration sticker was out of date. The first thing they wanted to see was my insurance card and my drivers license.
Cops always think if you drive a POS car you must be poor and not have insurance, thus an easy fine. Some cops are alright but many are a##h. I have very little respect for the profession.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:21 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I got pulled over twice, both 40+ years ago.

Got a fix-it ticket for highbeams that wouldn't dim the first time, and had a nice discussion about manual chokes the second time. (i.e., pretty young female driver explained to young cop how a manual choke works and why it made more exhaust.)

And I drove a red car for 11 years without any police interest!

Old 09-07-2017, 01:38 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Used to be a lead foot kid that liked fast stuff. Probably 10 times total, only one at gun point. Testing out a race car mod on a back road got a ticket for 143 in a 45. Next year I got an almost identical ticket on my GPZ1100 out in the middle of nowhere. The only recent one was after my boss kept us late for a meeting and I had to get the kids I cranked up the M3 to get around semis that wouldn't let anyone merge and viola there was a CHP. That one hurt, about 500 bucks. I had pulled my M3 into the grounds at the horse races and while I was putting my steering club on two rent a cops pulled iron on me, they thought I was trying to steal it. Other than than, not much, no front plate that kind of foolery.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:17 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I've been pulled over for speeding 4 times that I can remember and got a ticket in Alabama for doing 70+ in a 55. I got pulled over recently for rolling through a stop sign. No ticket. I skidded through a stop light once about 35 years ago. No ticket. One of the guys who pulled me over for speeding over 30 years ago was there when I had an accident that wasn't my fault. The judge was less then kind and the officer felt bad for issuing me a ticket. He stopped me about two years later and I had a bench warrant for not paying the fine. He was super nice and let me go. I then got arrested for the same bench warrant about a year later driving my ex's car. There was something wrong with the license plate I think. He was out from California. The officer was quite nice. He had me follow him to the station instead of towing the car. He never hand cuffed me or finger printed me, and he let me wait in the lobby vs putting me in a cell. Super nice! One cop that stopped me for speeding was gruff and abrupt but he let me go. Imagine my surprise when we bought our house and he was one of our neighbors. I've had this love hate relationship with him for decades now. He's still the same miserable SOB he always was, but I've grown to love him as well. He's not all bad and I will miss him when he leaves us. One officer pulled me over when I was young and living in Elgin. He gave me a hard time about wearing head phones while riding my bike. I told him to go catch some bad guys and leave me alone. He just smiled and went away.

All in all I've never had a bad experience with any police officer. There was one a couple of weeks ago that could have been nicer when I talked to him. This poor momma possum got killed right in front of me on my late night bike ride. She had babies in her pouch and was still alive and suffering when I called the police for help. I felt bad because they were busy and the possum died in front of me shortly after I hung up the phone. I was a two minute bike ride away from the station so I decided to go there and get a box and some gloves to rescue the babies. When I got back she was gone. The sergeant came and helped me look for her but he said that a coyote most likely got her. I talked to the officer who took the call and he was a tad less then nice to me. Oh well they were busy and he thought of me as a nuisance I'm sure. We're all human and have bad days. No hard feelings.

All in all I deserved way more tickets then I got. In my wildest dreams if you would have asked me if I'd marry a cop. I'd say no, but here I am 32 years later and still madly in love with one.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:32 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,431,751 times
Quote:
Have you ever been pulled over by the police in your car?
Well, no. They've never been in my car...

Old 09-07-2017, 03:23 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Well, no. They've never been in my car...
You beat me to it!

Old 09-07-2017, 04:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I'm 61 ,and driving since I was 17 in 1972 ....hell yes I have been stopped.

Funniest was about 10 years ago,coming down a hill on a major hwy and there are two consecutive lights,about 200 yards apart .Well coming home around 4 pm the sun is right in your eyes and I went through the first one that was red,there was a policeman at the intersection behind two other cars and hit his lights as soon as I did it,I saw him and pulled right into a shopping center turned off the car got out and was sitting on the hood with all the paper work before the light turn green again.He pulled in and was laughing"thanks for not running" he said. I said I was wrong it was all on me.Told him what had happen and that I did it.He checked all my paper work thank me for being honest and gave me a warning,I was lucky as hell!
i am not much younger than you are, i have been driving since 1976, and i too have been stopped more than a few times.

my funniest story was when i passed a virginia state trooper, and he clocked me at 64 in a 55 zone. we talked a bit, and i told him i had just gotten the necessary part to bring my speedo back to reading where it should be. he scolded me for a few minutes and then let me go with a verbal warning.

and then there was the time i got pulled over by a park ranger for doing 37 in a 25 zone, he gave me a warning, but i was very happy that he didnt catch me earlier doing 85 in that same 25 zone.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:15 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,921 times
got pulled over twice in the same month by the same cop. both times i did nothing wrong and he approached with his hand already on his gun. the second time he pulled me over, he called for backup.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:37 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryChristan View Post
Watching a programme about people being pulled over by the police so want to know how many people have been pulled over by the police while out and about

For me I haven't , luckily.

Although if it counts I have been stopped while walking the streets when I was 19 , I think it was because I looked young and thought I should have been in school.
When I was younger I got stopped a lot while walking. Usually it was just a couple of quick questions. Is your name xxxx? Were you at such and such a location? No demanding ID or anything. The cops were a lot more polite in those days.

I've gotten a fair amount of speeding tickets. I think they were all for 10 to 15 over the limit, usually while on road trips with out of state license plates. I got a lot of window tinting tickets in California. A lot of fix it tickets for burned out light bulbs. About 50% of the time the cop was lying and all my lights were functioning. In those cases the cops mostly just seemed interested in seeing if I had been drinking or if I had anything illegal in my car.

So yeah, I have been pulled over way more times then I can count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive