Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 06:19 PM

15,415 posts, read 9,055,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Dependent on what car I was driving. In my Mercedes I have never been pulled over but in my very old Honda Civic, that my wife called a trash can with wheels I was pulled over many times. The cops would always lie, saying a taillight was out, or they thought my inspection or registration sticker was out of date. The first thing they wanted to see was my insurance card and my drivers license.
Cops always think if you drive a POS car you must be poor and not have insurance, thus an easy fine. Some cops are alright but many are a##h. I have very little respect for the profession.
Yeah, cops hate poor people. If you have any problems with your car, they will be all over you. That could be just that the car is old. Not any safety issues. They love to stop some guy driving a beater car home from his job a McDonald's. But they don't want to stop somebody in a Mercedes who has money, and will fight any tickets they give them, and probably sue them on top of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 07:31 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,387 times
I'm driving about 25 years. Was pulled over one time 7 years ago for driving 40 in 35 zone. I went to the court very prepared. It was insane. They tried to make a deal with me, and replace the speeding with some parking violation or something. I refused and the judge dismissed it.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:16 PM

8,167 posts, read 6,918,994 times
Have you ever been pulled over by the police in your car?

At first I thought there must be more to the question.
Like... Have you ever been pulled over by the police in your car twice in one day?
Or.. Have you ever been pulled over by the police in your car while wearing clown shoes?
Or.. Have you ever been pulled over by the police on a Wednesday, during a partial solar eclipse while it was raining outside?

Surely...we've ALL been pulled over.... heh... right? hello? uh... ahem. *cough*

Yes. Yes, I have been pulled over by the police in my car.

ahem. uh.

yeah.

That's all I'm going to say.
Not going to get into the whole "how many times?" thing...

Old 09-07-2017, 10:59 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
I rarely attract police attention, but have been pulled over. The most bizarre was when I was driving my mother's Mercedes, and the officer was stunned to see me behind the wheel. He started out saying "Doctor, I noticed..." and then said "Oh, your're not the doc." I said "No, I'm her son." He proceeded to talk to me about how he had the greatest respect for my mother, etc. since he had encountered her as she would do some consulting for the police department, and they loved her. Twenty minutes later, no less, he said "Oh, yeah, I stopped you to tell your mom that her trunk didn't look fully closed, and I wanted to make sure that someone wasn't waiting in it for a home invasion." It turned out that the electric pump that pulls the trunk closed was having an issue, no doubt a result of one of my brothers doing something to it. We inspected it, and he said that he was happy that she was safe, and there was no armed assailant waiting in the trunk for the car to return to the garage. I told him that he was really beginning to make me nervous with all his talk of home invasions, and asked if there was something that I needed to know. He said "Oh no, we're on the job." It was very bizarre, and my mother laughed when I told her whom I had encountered and said "Oh yes, he likes to talk forever."

Another time, I was driving my uncle's car. My uncle was a judge and happened to not have any children of his own, just nephews. He was out of town on vacation, out of the country, actually, with his lady friend, and asked me to make sure none of his cars had a dead battery when he returned, so I could drive them. I was driving at about 11 o'clock on a freezing cold night when the local constables pulled me over. They were very aggressive in asking why I was driving this car, etc., and I merely said "because my uncle didn't want dead batteries when he returned from overseas." One of them never even looked at my license, and just said that it was a likely story and had someone call my uncle's house. There was no answer and he said "I bet this kid stole his car," when his partner's face went white and he stammered "Uh-uh-uh..." and his partner said "Do you want to say something?" He gulped and pointed at my license and he said "the middle name" (which was my uncle's first name, and an old family name, not very common). The rude cop changed his tune immediately and said "Oh, we're just making sure all is safe. You can go home now." I said "Well, I wasn't going home, but I shall go to the store." The cop laughed and said "No need to mention this to your uncle. We didn't recognize you, at first." I said "Well, as we have never been introduced previously, I am certain that you would not have recognized me, Officer (Last Name). However, I will not mention this incident to my uncle." I didn't tell him, but word got back to him through the police chief because someone noticed that his plate had been run when he was out of the country. He was laughing when he saw the cop who had stopped me and said "You should have stopped another of my nephews, the one who drives too fast and can never remember to pay for parking until he gets a ticket." After that, I did see that cop a few times, and he was very nice to me, and had the attitude of "carry on..." even if I happened to be out at 2 or 3 in the morning. No curfew, but some cops would hassle a teen out at those hours.

One time, I was stopped, well, I was already stopped, but had the car running with the lights on, since I was very ill. I had an attack of acute panceatitis that was caused by an infection and then medicine used to treat it. I was sick when I walked out of a restaurant to the car, and had abdominal pain, and was sweating, despite the cold. I doubled over a couple of times, in pain, and felt I was too far from the restaurant to go back, and the car was closer. I was nauseated, and was quickly getting worse, but couldn't focus to dial the phone. I went to the car because my phone would sync and I could call for help. I got in the car, turned it on and took a second to catch my breath, when a police car came up, lights on. He likely thought I was drunk, and since the car was on, etc., one could be charged, but he soon noticed that I was having a medical emergency, especially when I opened the door and started vomiting.

One of the cops grabbed my arm, like we were going to arm wrestle, and used his training as if he had to deliver a baby to tell me to squeeze if the pain became intense, while his partner called an ambulance and sprinted to the parking lot entrance to flag them down. He kept saying "You're gonna be okay, man, just hang on for a couple of minutes." Meanwhile, during all of the commotion, my friend who had noticed I didn't look right, and who had called my phone, but I could not answer, sees the commotion in the parking lot. As she got closer, she heard the cop telling me to hold on and screamed, thinking I had been the victim of a violent criminal. She was sobbing, since she was scared, but then relieved, and I was in pain, and the poor officer who thought he might have a drunk driver was in the middle of it. She called another friend who emerged from the restaurant and she regained her composure such that she and my other friend took my car to go to the hospital. I was so embarrassed by the spectacle, but I did tell the commanding officer and write letters for the officers employment files, commending their compassionate assistance, especially because they quickly recognized a medical emergency.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-08-2017, 07:08 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,682 times
I've been pulled over a couple of times at home, in the U.K., both times for something innocuous, like a brake light not working, or failing to indicate, just a warning then carry on.
I've also been pulled over twice in the U.S., the first time in Florida, between Brooksville and Orlando being an education.
In the U.K. the cop will overtake you, then light up a red sign in his rear window, saying; POLICE STOP, then he'll pull over, and you stop behind him.
I was late for a flight out of Orlando back to London on this occasion, and I was pushing 70 in a 50 or 55 zone, when I saw the police cruiser coming toward me.
I eased up a tad, and watched for him in the rear view to keep going, but his brake lights came on, and he turned around, I had no idea at the time that they could check your speed while coming toward you.
Anyway, he came up behind me, and "lit me up", now back in the U.K. when a cop does that, it means move over I'm coming through, so I eased to my right, as did he, so I eased further, riding the grass verge with my right side wheels, and of course he's still right on my bumper.
Eventually the penny dropped, and I stopped, the cop got out, almost having an apoplectic fit, he roared, "Why didn't you stop right away?"
Laying on my London accent with a trowel, I replied, "Sorry guv, at home, our cops stop us by pulling in front."
He came back with, "Well you ain't at home now, got it?"
He let me off with a severe chastisement, but when he asked for I.D., my passport and driver's licence were in my wife's bag, and when she started to unzip it, he put his hand on his gun, and said, "Slowly ma'am, slowly."
She nearly had kittens, and when she told the tale to her friends in London, she embellished it a bit, saying that he drew his gun!
The other time that I got stopped was in Florida too, we'd been out to dinner, then stopped in a bar, before driving back to our rented vacation house, in Spring Hill.
The cop who stopped us, said that no one drives in such a straight line, at the exact speed limit, indicates correctly, then cancels the indicators after switching lanes, and does it as smoothly as I did, it was a red light to him that I'd probably had a drink.
I failed the breathalyser, as did my wife, but then I was amazed when the cop said, "Sir, I think that you're a gentleman who's made an error of judgement, drive straight ahead for around a quarter of a mile, there's a parking lot on the left, pull in there, lock your car, and I'll take you home."
I couldn't believe it, the only reason we could think of, was that his shift was almost over, and the paperwork for charging a foreign citizen would take a lot of time.

Last edited by Jean-Francois; 09-08-2017 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: Added text

Old 09-08-2017, 08:18 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
more times than I can remember in my younger, lead-foot years......

Old 09-08-2017, 08:27 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,947,837 times
Late night 1982. Exited a bar/restaurant where a group of us had gone after roller skating at the local rink. (It was an 0ver-21 skate and most of us were well over 21)

Left out of the parking lot and noticed a patrol car behind me. Stopped at the red light and the officer flashed his lights and exited the car. He walked up to the window and said, "What did you have to drink tonight?" I told him I had coffee with my pie. He said, "Do you know you're in a right turn only lane?" I glanced up and sure enough, I was.

"But officer, I have always driven this lane and there has never been a right turn only sign there in seven years." He thought a minute, told me that the signs had been erected the week before and he was letting me go.

Ten or so years later, 3 a.m. on my way home from a play and the after-party. Yes, I had a couple of drinks but switched to coffee a few hours prior.

There was absolutely no traffic and I was doing a little more than the speed limit. Officer pulled me over and approached the car with hand on holster. Asked if I knew why he had pulled me over. I politely stated that I didn't. He told me how fast I was going (it was a more than a "little more") He asked where I was coming from and I said, "Work". Well, it was - the play was "work".

He let me go with just a warning to keep it under the limit and I thanked him for calling it to my attention, assured him I would be careful and when he turned off the main road, I "resumed speed". EOS.

I was stopped once at a DUI checkpoint after much the same situation as the previous one. Except I had a couple of drinks and one coffee. When I rolled down the window, the state trooper looked at me and chuckled, handed me a pamphlet, told me to take it easy, and I rolled on. Maybe he thought I was too old to be DUI?

Old 09-08-2017, 08:54 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Many times and all but once it was circumstantial...

The one time it wasn't I was going 62 in a 55 zone... the officer did the full check, vehicle inspection, etc... kept asking where I was going... said home after working 11 hours...

He said I had a clear record and no vehicle issues... gave me a warning and said this is his regular patrol and next time 62 would earn me a citation.

I've been pulled over for driving late at night, for driving cars with dealer tags, DUI check points... pulled over in several countries... etc.

For all I know it could have been fishing for a cause... always fully compliant, walked the line, opened the trunk, etc... never had a drink and no drugs ever... so nothing to worry about there.

I does seem 16 to 25 was when 98% of the pull overs happened.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:52 AM

8,167 posts, read 6,918,994 times
I do have to say, though... I live in Virginia.

Which is the speed trap capital of the world.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:09 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,313,775 times
Yep, got pulled over for going through a red light.. cried a lot and got off with a warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive