Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 06:29 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,956,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
1. I have dealt with a hurricane evacuation and year long recovery. So I guess I can stick around.

2. Now owning a generator is somehow selfish? Nice try but your no longer just building strawman but crossing over into the ridiculous.
I'm talking a generator for the gas station vs one for a supercharger station. Try and keep up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 06:36 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,956,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And yet it is still 100% irrelevant to the question at hand, which was "did anyone get away from irma in a Tesla?" Teslas and other EVs proved their utility as evacuation vehicle as many people used them as such. That is not a statement of opinion but fact. EVs are a new technology whose advantages and limitations are not even completely understood but the fact that you have to endlessly make things up about the question at hand shows how emotional and irrational you are about them. Maybe calm down and realize the existence of electric cars doesn't actually harm you and neither does the fact people did use them to escape Irma.
Yet here you are still defending the future of electric vehicles based on a couple evacuees who probably couldn't come back. You didn't evacuate in an EV. Why are you still here yapping about it?

Old 09-12-2017, 06:38 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I'm talking a generator for the gas station vs one for a supercharger station. Try and keep up.
I never once mentioned a generator AT a supercharger station. Maybe try to read for comprehension.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:40 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Yet here you are still defending the future of electric vehicles based on a couple evacuees who probably couldn't come back. You didn't evacuate in an EV. Why are you still here yapping about it?
You just make things up. Where did I defend the future of anything? All I said, and continue to say is that Teslas worked, and worked well as evacuation vehicles for many people.

Literally, nothing you have said refutes that, and your need to try an portray anyone disagreeing with you as "yapping" shows your utter and complete inability to admit you are wrong. Says far more about you than it does about me. So why so emotional about electric cars?

Old 09-12-2017, 07:59 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
All I know is when hurricane Ivan hit my town back in 2004, I was without power for almost two weeks. At that time I did not own a generator, so all of my refrigerated food spoiled, and I was eating only cookies, canned food, and MREs. I would get outside in the heat to clear trees and branches, and the only way to keep from having a heat stroke was sit in my car with the engine running and ac on high for 15 minutes at the time. Luckily I had a full tank of gas.

The very next year, we got hit with hurricane Dennis, and that time I DID have a generator and 15 gallons of gas, as well as a full tank in my car. My generator is 8000 watts, so it was pretty much maxed out powering my fridge, chest freezer, lights, and small window ac unit... there was no extra capacity to charge an EV.

So, to each his own, but I wouldn't want an EV living where I live. There's not only the power outages from hurricanes, but also the flooded streets to deal with afterwards. Now if they made something like a Volt, but in SUV form with higher ground clearance, and a generator usable for external power supply, it may be more realistic.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:45 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,730,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
A full charge to get a 300 mile range will take about 1:20. This is useless in a situation like Irma.
It's actually not, people had days to evacuate and when the hurricane probability was up to 95% it was still 2 days away (48 hours). 300 miles is more than enough driving for when you need a rest stop, and while you're eating the car can charge

Old 09-12-2017, 08:56 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It's actually not, people had days to evacuate and when the hurricane probability was up to 95% it was still 2 days away (48 hours). 300 miles is more than enough driving for when you need a rest stop, and while you're eating the car can charge
Not if the power is out. There are reportedly people stuck in electric cars because the power is out and they cannot recharge. However there are a lot of people stuck with no gasoline too. On the radio tonight they said 18,000 out of 280,000 gas stations in florida were selling gas right now. Some have no gas, many have no electricity to run the pumps

Old 09-12-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Not if the power is out. There are reportedly people stuck in electric cars because the power is out and they cannot recharge. However there are a lot of people stuck with no gasoline too. On the radio tonight they said 18,000 out of 280,000 gas stations in florida were selling gas right now. Some have no gas, many have no electricity to run the pumps
well if you're in the storm with no power it's too late anyways to evacuate. And don't forget you can use your EV as a giant power source if in place and the power goes out. The point is an EV will not get you killed trying to evacuate unless you decide to go very last minute (<12 hours) and you can make it work. Finding gas isn't any easier than finding a plug when everyone is leaving

Old 09-13-2017, 06:27 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,673,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
well if you're in the storm with no power it's too late anyways to evacuate. And don't forget you can use your EV as a giant power source if in place and the power goes out. The point is an EV will not get you killed trying to evacuate unless you decide to go very last minute (<12 hours) and you can make it work. Finding gas isn't any easier than finding a plug when everyone is leaving

But as said before, you can take gas with you. Preparing days in advance with a gas vehicle is possible because you can fill up cans to take with you if you cannot leave early enough. That removes the necessity of trying to get gas in the midst of everyone trying to evacuate. It also removes the possibility of sitting in long lines waiting and hoping that there is still gas available when you get your turn.

Given the same scenario with an EV owner, how would you store electricity so that once your EV has used up it's main energy source it could be replenished without finding electricity? You can't.

People keep saying the goal posts are being moved but they're really not. The question about if anyone got away in a Tesla was answered, and then the discussion began about different scenarios and how each type of vehicle would fair in those scenarios. If discussing this is moving goalposts, then saying that eventually EVs will have more charging stations is the same concept. We are talking about scenarios in today's times, not 10-20 years from now.

It's simple logic.

In today's time:

A gas burning vehicle typically has a longer range, requiring fewer re-fills. (Our Expedition range is about 450-500 miles)

A gas burning vehicle can fill up in 2-5 minutes before carrying on (important in a situation where you need to move quickly).

A gas burning vehicle can easily carry more fuel with them and extend their range without the need to find a gas station and wait in another line.

An EV can have a shorter range, requiring more re-charges.

According to Tesla.....
The standard plugs included with the EV gives you a full 300 mile charge in 8 hrs, 42 minutes.

A Supercharger gives you a partial charge in about 30 minutes. Tesla says it's enough to get back on your way and even say a full re-charge isn't necessary. But your range is shortened.

An EV battery (lithium-ion) degrades over time and loses charging capacity (Tesla mentioned around 80% capacity by 100k miles). So if someone drives an EV every day, their 300 mile range could drop to 240 miles.

That's not to say it will not improve, and I hope it does. But as the discussion has now turned, in today's time the EV isn't as dependable for evacuation purposes as a gas burning vehicle. Even if you manage to leave early enough to make it out, what's to say you can come back if your city and cities along the way home are without power for weeks at a time? You may get half way home and be stranded.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
But as said before, you can take gas with you. Preparing days in advance with a gas vehicle is possible because you can fill up cans to take with you if you cannot leave early enough. That removes the necessity of trying to get gas in the midst of everyone trying to evacuate. It also removes the possibility of sitting in long lines waiting and hoping that there is still gas available when you get your turn.
What's the range on that combustion car - you're looking at a 20 gallon tank max, assume 20 mpg, your typical best case range is 400 miles. Not that far off from an EV with a 300 mile range, and most cars have less than 20 gallon tanks and many drive SUVs/trucks with much worse than 20 mpg. Getting a charge wouldn't be anymore difficult than waiting hours in line with the people making a run on gas

Again, hurricane evacuations have long lead times. You have plenty of time and opportunity to both get far and recharge with an EV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive