Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 04:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
You can buy more gas along the way, not so with electric car.
Of course you can. Tesla has supercharging stations along all the major highways, including Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
You are kidding, where are the recharging stations along I95, I75 and the turnpike. At least with a fossil fuel burner you pour a gallon in and get off the highway but you would need a wrecker for a dead electric car.
There are dozens of dozens of supercharging stations that can charge half a dozen cars at a time in Florida alone. And that is just the superchargers, it's hundreds if you count the regular charging stations.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:33 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
My best friends Tesla x gets nearly 300 miles on a charge and charges in bout half an hour at the supercharger on the major highways including Florida. And they are free. How is that significantly different than a gas powered car in a situation like this?
Takes maybe 5 minutes to fill a gas tank plus people evacuating have a gas can full in the trunk just in case. Gas stations are more common than charging stations.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
If regular power lines are down, what size solar panels, wind turbines, or portable generator would it take to recharge a Tesla ?
My friends have a propane generator (built in not portable) which charges their Tesla just fine. I will ask about their solar panels.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Takes maybe 5 minutes to fill a gas tank plus people evacuating have a gas can full in the trunk just in case. Gas stations are more common than charging stations.
Lol. Have you evacuated an area with millions of other people? You wait in line for hours to get gas. It has literally been all over the news.

https://www.local10.com/weather/hurr...-some-patience

Old 09-09-2017, 05:36 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Lol. Have you evacuated an area with millions of other people? You wait in line for hours to get gas. It has literally been all over the news.

https://www.local10.com/weather/hurr...-some-patience
I think that's a major point - while a gasoline car is idling, an electric car isn't using its charge..

I've never had to evacuate anywhere, but I've seen pics & videos with major traffic jams..

I don't own or think much of electric cars, but I'd definitely roll one out of town in an evacuation..

Old 09-09-2017, 05:58 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
You are kidding, where are the recharging stations along I95, I75 and the turnpike. At least with a fossil fuel burner you pour a gallon in and get off the highway but you would need a wrecker for a dead electric car.
Get a hitch and one of these...

Old 09-09-2017, 06:38 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Get a hitch and one of these...
Pic was generator on trailer

Question: is it solar or wind powered ?

Old 09-09-2017, 07:08 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
My best friends Tesla x gets nearly 300 miles on a charge and charges in bout half an hour at the supercharger on the major highways including Florida. And they are free. How is that significantly different than a gas powered car in a situation like this?
This is ridiculous. In the ENTIRE state of Florida there are fewer than 150 superchargers, in groups of 6 to 20 in a particular location; most have 8. Each supercharger is analogous to a single gas pump that can service ONE car every 30 minutes.

So imagine 150 gas pumps spread over the state of Florida, each taking 1/2 an hour to service a single car. Now imagine the chance that one of those gas pumps is WHERE YOU NEED IT. That's the problem, and the difference between the Tesla and a gas powered or hybrid vehicle.

And people who say their electric car doesn't use energy stuck in traffic, you still need to maintain cooling, air filtration, lights, and radio while you are stopped, which takes a frightening amount of energy in a high temperature, high humidity environment.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:38 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,401,438 times
Quote:
There are no Teslas that charge 300 miles in 30 minutes.

It is "170 miles in as little as 30 minutes" for the Model X at a Supercharger station. A full charge to get a 300 mile range will take about 1:20. This is useless in a situation like Irma.

Charging is not free, either, for new owners, after 1000 miles.
"Each year, owners receive 400 kWh of free Supercharger credit, enough to drive about 1,000 miles. These credits cover the long distance driving needs of most owners, so road trips are completely free. Customers who travel beyond the annual credit pay a small fee to Supercharge—only a fraction of the cost of gas."
https://www.tesla.com/supercharger

Here are the specs for the Model 3
"Standard Battery:Price: $35,000Range: 220 miles (EPA estimated) Supercharging rate: 130 miles in 30 minutes Long Range Battery: Price: $44,000 Range: 310 miles Supercharging rate: 170 miles in 30 minutes (Same as Tesla’s Model S) "
Tesla's Model 3: Electric Car Breaks 300-Mile Range Barrier | Fortune.com

Electric charging is not in the realm of reality for an emergency situation where millions of people have to evacuate and area. The time to charge is too slow and the current range is too low when compared to gas/diesel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive