Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 12:59 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times

Advertisements

AWD is always going to be better than FWD. I know there are Luddites and minimalists who will advocate for FWD, but they are a minority. Here in Alaska virtually every CUV is AWD. I've driven both FWD and AWD and there is no doubt in my mind that AWD is the way to go. If winter traction is a primary concern, I would go with the Subaru. Their AWD system always comes out on top in Consumer Reports winter testing. If you really like the Mazda, it's also a good vehicle and will work just fine in your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 01:09 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
So did we.

That's why we ended up buying a 2018 Tiguan SEL Premium 4Motion.

Honestly, both my wife and I have found that even with only all-season tires it performs better on snow and ice than our Outback with winter tires while driving the same roads in the same conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
AWD is always going to be better than FWD. I know there are Luddites and minimalists who will advocate for FWD, but they are a minority. Here in Alaska virtually every CUV is AWD. I've driven both FWD and AWD and there is no doubt in my mind that AWD is the way to go. If winter traction is a primary concern, I would go with the Subaru. Their AWD system always comes out on top in Consumer Reports winter testing. If you really like the Mazda, it's also a good vehicle and will work just fine in your area.
Thank you. I don't "really like the Mazda" -- it was just in the right price range, I drive a Mazda now (go with what you know?), and I didn't hate it (like I did some others). I was leaning towards the Subaru before I first posted here and everything that everyone (well, most everyone ) is saying is helping the case. Thanks again.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
AWD depends on the system. Subaru has one of the best AWD systems. It is better in snow and a little better on ice. With good AWD you not only do not get stuck but your car will hold its course better (ie not slide or get pulled off the road).

I prefer RWD to FWD in snow and ice, even though you lose control and get stuck more often. It is much easier to regain control with RWD than with FWD. Put some weight in the back and good snow tires (Blizzack) and I will take RWD over FWD any day. However some AWD systems suck. Some are worse than RWD or FWD. Ford currently has the crown for the best system. Subaru, Audi, Volvo all have excellent systems as well. My friend who words in design for GM drive-train told me the new GM systems are much improved and (he claims) rival the new Ford system. I have yet to see any neutral articles or test reports supporting that assertion though.

However 4x4 and good AWD have distinct advantages in some specific conditions that I ncounter maybe 4-5 times a year.

My 5 hour trip across Michigan last night demonstrated that very clearly. (should have been 3 hours). The rwd and fwd vehicles were sliding all over the place and could not accelerate without spinning out. They also had a lot more trouble swerving around that toehr cars that were spinning out than the 4x4s and AWDs did. Many many of them in the median or ditch. 4x4 and AWD vehicles did very well and were able to make speeds up to about 50 mph while the others were relegated to about 30 and they had to reach that speed very gradually. I saw only one 4x4 off the road. It was a suburban. Not positive it was 4x4, but it appeared to be. Last night were the exact conditions that demonstrate why 4x4 or AWD is worthwhile.

AWD does nothing to help you stop.

Blizzack snow tires make a world of difference on any car. I was wishing for them last night. They also help with stopping in snow and a tiny bit on ice. Winterforce snow tires are somewhat better for ice, but not as good in snow. (I have cooper all season - they did OK, but, at times, all four wheels were spinning. The 4x4s with blizzacks were passing me left and right (literally).

What is your budget? If you can get to $35,000 look at the Ford Focus RS. It has the best AWD system out there from what i can gather. Massive power in a tiny car. The drive-train is marvelous. I drove one briefly this weekend (before the snow). It was quite a fabulous experience. There was one next to me on part of last night's travail. He kept with me (I have a 4x4 Ram) and did not have any problems sliding around despite it being a tiny car with no weight (maybe he had Blizzacks too, not sure).

Old 12-12-2017, 03:18 PM

628 posts, read 840,932 times
Subaru Crosstrek because it has a manual transmission unlike the CX 3 at least it along with the Jeep wrangler are the only SUVs with manual transmissions

Old 12-12-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
AWD depends on the system. Subaru has one of the best AWD systems. It is better in snow and a little better on ice. With good AWD you not only do not get stuck but your car will hold its course better (ie not slide or get pulled off the road).

I prefer RWD to FWD in snow and ice, even though you lose control and get stuck more often. It is much easier to regain control with RWD than with FWD. Put some weight in the back and good snow tires (Blizzack) and I will take RWD over FWD any day. However some AWD systems suck. Some are worse than RWD or FWD. Ford currently has the crown for the best system. Subaru, Audi, Volvo all have excellent systems as well. My friend who words in design for GM drive-train told me the new GM systems are much improved and (he claims) rival the new Ford system. I have yet to see any neutral articles or test reports supporting that assertion though.

However 4x4 and good AWD have distinct advantages in some specific conditions that I ncounter maybe 4-5 times a year.

My 5 hour trip across Michigan last night demonstrated that very clearly. (should have been 3 hours). The rwd and fwd vehicles were sliding all over the place and could not accelerate without spinning out. They also had a lot more trouble swerving around that toehr cars that were spinning out than the 4x4s and AWDs did. Many many of them in the median or ditch. 4x4 and AWD vehicles did very well and were able to make speeds up to about 50 mph while the others were relegated to about 30 and they had to reach that speed very gradually. I saw only one 4x4 off the road. It was a suburban. Not positive it was 4x4, but it appeared to be. Last night were the exact conditions that demonstrate why 4x4 or AWD is worthwhile.

AWD does nothing to help you stop.

Blizzack snow tires make a world of difference on any car. I was wishing for them last night. They also help with stopping in snow and a tiny bit on ice. Winterforce snow tires are somewhat better for ice, but not as good in snow. (I have cooper all season - they did OK, but, at times, all four wheels were spinning. The 4x4s with blizzacks were passing me left and right (literally).

What is your budget? If you can get to $35,000 look at the Ford Focus RS. It has the best AWD system out there from what i can gather. Massive power in a tiny car. The drive-train is marvelous. I drove one briefly this weekend (before the snow). It was quite a fabulous experience. There was one next to me on part of last night's travail. He kept with me (I have a 4x4 Ram) and did not have any problems sliding around despite it being a tiny car with no weight (maybe he had Blizzacks too, not sure).
Hey! Sorry to hear about your brutal 5-hour trip. Ugh! That sounds like my worst nightmare.

I have great snow tires -- Nokian Nordman -- so I'm good in that regard. As to my budget, since I drive so little, I'd rather not spend big bucks. And that Ford Focus RS starts at $48K here. (I'm in Canada.) The Subaru is less than $30K. Big difference for an infrequent driver.

Thank you for your +1 on Subaru's AWD.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:08 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
I disagree. I've seen plenty of situations in the city, not involving hills where AWD would have helped. And we're talking about Quebec where winter tires are mandatory. A car stuck on the side of the curb, having slid there on a turn and unable to get out due to the presence of ice underneath fresh snow. People having difficulty getting out of their parallel parking spots because of compacted snow above ice. I've also seen FWD cars getting stuck on a small ridge of snow newly created by a snowplow at an intersection. In fact, when it really gets cold and icy, when even salt stops working, people with winter tires spin their tires at intersections here.

AWD is not mandatory, and you'll easily survive without, but it makes life easier in a lot of little ways in the city.

For that I'm thinking Crosstrek > Impreza > CX-3. The Crosstrek has the most ground clearance with Subaru's reputed AWD system. The CX-3 interestingly only has 0.5 inch more clearance than the Impreza. Although if Ottawa's snowplow ridges are as tall as those in Montreal during snow storms, good luck ;-)

In my post, I wrote that AWD is a convenience. You can park places you can't park with FWD and 5" of ground clearance. You can get out of your parking space after it snows without shoveling. In daily driving in the snow belt where there are snow plows, there won't be many times where you get stuck with FWD and best of breed snow tires. Where I am in Vermont gets a heck of a lot more snow than anywhere in Quebec due to the microclimate of the Green Mountains and orographic lift. With a snow shovel, a VW GTI with Nokians gets around just fine.

With expensive Canuckistani gasoline, I personally would opt for the Impreza 5 door over the Crosstrek. It's the Legacy Wagon vs Outback thing. I'd rather have the Legacy wagon over the lifted suspension + body cladding Outback version of the same car. Sadly, they don't build that version in Indiana since the Outback in the older generation outsold it by so much. With the Impreza, you can still buy the car version of the hatchback as well as the lifted/body cladding Crosstrek.

Last I knew, Ottawa was in Ontario. Was there an invasion from Hull I hadn't heard about?

Old 12-12-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In my post, I wrote that AWD is a convenience. You can park places you can't park with FWD and 5" of ground clearance. You can get out of your parking space after it snows without shoveling. In daily driving in the snow belt where there are snow plows, there won't be many times where you get stuck with FWD and best of breed snow tires. Where I am in Vermont gets a heck of a lot more snow than anywhere in Quebec due to the microclimate of the Green Mountains and orographic lift. With a snow shovel, a VW GTI with Nokians gets around just fine.

With expensive Canuckistani gasoline, I personally would opt for the Impreza 5 door over the Crosstrek. It's the Legacy Wagon vs Outback thing. I'd rather have the Legacy wagon over the lifted suspension + body cladding Outback version of the same car. Sadly, they don't build that version in Indiana since the Outback in the older generation outsold it by so much. With the Impreza, you can still buy the car version of the hatchback as well as the lifted/body cladding Crosstrek.

Last I knew, Ottawa was in Ontario. Was there an invasion from Hull I hadn't heard about?
I have Nokia Nordmans and the bold part was EXACTLY the issue that I mentioned in my initial post:
Quote:
I'd like a little tank so that the snow doesn't have to ALL be cleared from my driveway before I head out.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:51 PM

196 posts, read 216,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Ottawa has a very similar climate to Montreal, perhaps a bit colder with a bit less snow. Maybe I should have mentioned that in my post. Hence the stuff I encounter in Montreal likely happens in Ottawa as well.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
Ottawa has a very similar climate to Montreal, perhaps a bit colder with a bit less snow. Maybe I should have mentioned that in my post. Hence the stuff I encounter in Montreal likely happens in Ottawa as well.
Not necessary at all to have mentioned that. I'm a Montreal girl, born and bred.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:58 PM

196 posts, read 216,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Not necessary at all to have mentioned that. I'm a Montreal girl, born and bred.
That I knew from the Montreal forum It's more for GeoffD who I was replying to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive