Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 06:41 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Same plug and same battery.
Probably not same battery since different EVs will have different power levels. I think the batteries are built up of stacks and packs of the A123 cell. I think I read that somewhere.
Anyway, the plug/receptacle has been standardized for now:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 07:59 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,236,413 times
Most affordable EVs have a range less than 100 miles, but I think that will drastically change in the next 5 years. Right now, business parks, shopping malls, movie theaters, park and rides, and any areas where you might spend >1.5 hrs. The EV infrastructure has to plan for the future, not for the current trend. You might be on to something, but I would think the only EVs that would have the range to get to a roadside diner/rest-stop would be a Tesla or GM Bolt. Secondly, these vehicles would demand a level 3 charging station to recharge the battery to 80% in 30 minutes; such charging stations are quite pricy. Level 2 chargers (6.8kWh/h) would be just too slow.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:43 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
Most affordable EVs have a range less than 100 miles, but I think that will drastically change in the next 5 years. Right now, business parks, shopping malls, movie theaters, park and rides, and any areas where you might spend >1.5 hrs. The EV infrastructure has to plan for the future, not for the current trend. You might be on to something, but I would think the only EVs that would have the range to get to a roadside diner/rest-stop would be a Tesla or GM Bolt. Secondly, these vehicles would demand a level 3 charging station to recharge the battery to 80% in 30 minutes; such charging stations are quite pricy. Level 2 chargers (6.8kWh/h) would be just too slow.
I don’t think most businesses will have the business case to add chargers unless:
1) it attracts more customers. Being currently 1% of the automotive population that’s not a lot of customers.
2) attracts a specific type of customer. If trying to showcase your technology or green credentials seeing a parking lot full of charging stations might help. I wouldn’t expect to see too many at a steel mill or a gun range however.
3) the government subsidizes them. If adding so many charging stations gives them a tax break that allows them to clear more profit, then why not? That will get expensive to subsidize every parking spot in America however. Where I live it’s hard enough to find parking at all much less one with a charger.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:23 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Interesting turn of phrase there; a lot of decisions get made by what we feel rather than actual science. I have no argument or alternative, it's just an observation of how humanity approaches these issues in the real world.
My engineering problem with the hybrid concept is you are always hauling around a power system that does nothing. One or the other is not contributing to carrying its full load.
I also agree that it is probably easier to control emissions for a few plants instead of millions of individual cars.
There are many talking points for any approach to transportation. Maybe there is not a single technical approach, which actually gets us back to your first idea . . .
My engineering problem with a large battery is that you’re lugging around more weight and expense that you’re not using. If your trip to work is 15 miles round trip, why lug around a battery with a range of 200-300 miles? In Tesla’s case that almost doubles the cost of the car just for the occasional trip to grandma’s. It’s a very expensive cure for range anxiety.

According to Tesla’s range calculator, battery capacity can vary within 100 miles. You’ll need at least a 200 mile battery to guarantee a minimum range of 100 miles given any circumstance, and that’s before considering a long distance trip. Repeatedly using the entire capacity shortens battery life. As the battery ages your range degrades so if you want to keep your car for 10 years and 150k miles, you’ll have to anticipate what your range needs are at that time. When the battery fails the most expensive part of the car has to be replaced at once. With a hybrid, the battery is much cheaper and smaller, and the engine rarely fails at all, and even if it did only part of it would fail not the entire thing.
A Chevy Volt can drive across the country without any need for charging infrastructure and it stil reduces tailpipe emissions for 95% of its trips. The best part about plug ins like the Volt, since range anxiety isn’t an issue, they can protect the battery by not allowing it to fully discharge. When they quote the battery range of 50 miles that’s after safeguarding the last 20% of the battery. With BEVs, the owner is expected to factor that into their range. The biggest drawback to batteries is their slow recharge time and lack of infrastructure. There are times where saving the Earth from fossil fuels takes a back seat to wanting more range quickly when you’re waiting in line at the charging station during holiday travel season. The plug in hybrid solves both of these problems.

In short there’s 2 approaches:
1) make a plug-ins that only produce CO2 under rare circumstances (5% of the time or less for most people)
2) make giant batteries, switch our dependence from oil to lithium and cobalt imports (60% of all cobalt comes from the Congo), and subsidize charging infrastructure to all 164k miles of US highways, all to save that additional 5% of CO2 production.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Probably not same battery since different EVs will have different power levels. I think the batteries are built up of stacks and packs of the A123 cell. I think I read that somewhere.
Anyway, the plug/receptacle has been standardized for now:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772
They are, but there is a new thing. I do not know what it is called. My brother borrowed a bunch of them and built an electric jet ski for a makers fair a few years ago. Smaller, way more powerful, not available yet.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:19 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They are, but there is a new thing. I do not know what it is called. My brother borrowed a bunch of them and built an electric jet ski for a makers fair a few years ago. Smaller, way more powerful, not available yet.
Hands waving in the air as both of us try to remember hearing about a new lithium technology that does explode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive