Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 05:39 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times

Advertisements

I would if I could, storing it somewhere. I am not the type of person to stay in one place and never leave, even a place like NYC, so I would like a car for road trips, or to visit my family in NJ/stay over for a few days in NJ, if I lived in the city of course. I wouldn't use it daily, not even close, and probably not anywhere within the 5 boroughs, but for getting anywhere else in the area or greater region or beyond, I probably would like to have one. I'm a beach person and though you can get to NJ beaches from Manhattan by train, it takes a while and would be much easier to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 10:08 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,701,292 times
I've lived in San Francisco for over 30 years and 25 of them were without a car. With the money I saved on insurance and parking I could take cabs (now lyft) whenever I needed to. The city transit system worked for the most part (occasional burps, usually caused by traffic congestion so driving wouldn't have helped). I had grocery pantry items delivered once a month and had a local produce and meat market for fresh items. When I did need a car I would rent one for the day. Most shopping and errands could be handled within 2 blocks of my home or work.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:31 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Suppose you lived in a big city like NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo, Barcelona where the publication transportation is pretty reliable, would you still choose to be a car owner?

I think I wouldn't. Actually I hardly needed to drive when I lived in Shanghai.

In other words, I am a car owner because the lack of public transportation where I live forces me to.

I would not and I have not, for the last 25 years. I did use a motorcycle for a few years, but that ended 15 years ago. Our bus service is the best in the country and I combine it with walking, bicycling and using a large, rolling backpack, for all my travels and shopping.

There are several families in the neighborhood who never walk or ride a bicycle anywhere------not even their kids. I assume they all think that I am a strange person. But I'm getting plenty of healthy exercise and I wonder if they have ever calculated the true cost of everything that is related to their motor vehicles?

Old 02-21-2018, 12:24 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,717,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I would not and I have not, for the last 25 years. I did use a motorcycle for a few years, but that ended 15 years ago. Our bus service is the best in the country and I combine it with walking, bicycling and using a large, rolling backpack, for all my travels and shopping.

There are several families in the neighborhood who never walk or ride a bicycle anywhere------not even their kids. I assume they all think that I am a strange person. But I'm getting plenty of healthy exercise and I wonder if they have ever calculated the true cost of everything that is related to their motor vehicles?
I visited Eugene, OR on a PNW road trip. Eugene is a nice town, but in all honesty living there without a car is probably going to be difficult for me.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:04 AM

4,621 posts, read 3,007,630 times
Quote:
Suppose you lived in a big city like NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo, Barcelona where the publication transportation is pretty reliable, would you still choose to be a car owner?

In other words, I am a car owner because the lack of public transportation where I live forces me to.
Well, I live in San Francisco... and like many people here, I do complain about the public transit... but really, compared to other places in the West, it's excellent (although it could be a lot better!) So no, I don't own a car, and haven't for 20+ years. If I did own one, I'd either have to pay $200/month for a parking space in my building, or else hunt for street parking, worry about the car being broken into, remember to move it on street cleaning days, etc. Aside from all that, if I drove somewhere else in town -- once I'd navigated through the many impatient/belligerent/crazy SF drivers, there'd probably be nowhere to park anyway. So a car here is more of a millstone than a useful possession.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:46 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Well, I live in San Francisco... and like many people here, I do complain about the public transit... but really, compared to other places in the West, it's excellent (although it could be a lot better!) So no, I don't own a car, and haven't for 20+ years. If I did own one, I'd either have to pay $200/month for a parking space in my building, or else hunt for street parking, worry about the car being broken into, remember to move it on street cleaning days, etc. Aside from all that, if I drove somewhere else in town -- once I'd navigated through the many impatient/belligerent/crazy SF drivers, there'd probably be nowhere to park anyway. So a car here is more of a millstone than a useful possession.
Agreed. I lived in San Francisco a short time too, and it was so expensive to park the car most car owners rarely used that it made more sense not to own one. If you needed a car on occasion, you just rented one. In most American cities though, we don't have the luxury of living easily without a car, however.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:48 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:
I can understand your frustration. Unless you live in NYC, you can't rely on mass transit in the U.S.

Personally, I find mass transit in Asia cities to be the best and safest. In fact, car ownership is rather rare in Tokyo.
LOL what?

You haven't visited other cities in America?

Philly, for starters. Since 1907.

Car ownership isn't rare in Tokyo because of the mass transit.

It's because they're the largest urban area in the world. And 6,158 persons per square kilometer. Pretty sure to own a car in Japan, you need to provide documents that prove you have a space to park the car.

Cars are big business in Japan. Have you watched TV there?

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-21-2018 at 08:56 AM..

Old 02-21-2018, 09:06 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,094,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I've lived in San Francisco for over 30 years and 25 of them were without a car. With the money I saved on insurance and parking I could take cabs (now lyft) whenever I needed to.
Know what could have saved you even more money? Not living in SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post

Know what would have saved you all of that? Not living in SF.

It amuses me that people will spend 3-4x the average housing cost just to say they saved $200 a month on parking...

Old 02-21-2018, 09:20 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,578,801 times
Quote:

this is a silly question, of course i would (assuming you mean i could afford it) i would buy a helicopter... why not ? hire a pilot on retainer, a landing pad, garage, and fuel... so long as it doesnt affect my grocery budget.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:28 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
Quote:

Yes, I would want my own transportation. Public transport may not go where I want to go, like camping in the mountains, or visiting relatives one or more state(s) away (where there might[probably isn't] public transport.
I do not fly. If I can't drive there, or take a train or bus or boat, I just ain't going! I prefer to drive, because many times there is little or no public transport at my destination.
Ah, yes, rent one when you need it. When the nearest rental agency is 40 miles away, and you would have to hitch-hike to get there, rentals become impractical!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive