Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 03:54 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I can understand your frustration. Unless you live in NYC, you can't rely on mass transit in the U.S.

Personally, I find mass transit in Asia cities to be the best and safest. In fact, car ownership is rather rare in Tokyo.
It’s not. Everybody I met in Tokyo had a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 04:03 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
Sigh, I'm stuck in a small city(pop 400k) right now. Hopefully I can move back to some big city after a couple of years.

Actually, you can still drive your car in many big cities, like LA.

The primary reason I prefer big city life isn't public transportation, though. Actually, I don't know many people who genuinely prefer small town living if cost(home price) isn't a factor.
It’s sounds like you’re having trouble adapting. Just switch up your hobbies from going clubbing or to the opera or whatever you big city folks do all day, and go kayaking, hunting, fishing, 4 wheeling, etc. Buy a big truck with huge tires and buy a big house with a huge yard for a fraction of the price of a 1 bedroom studio in a big city. Instead of paying more rent, you could own more toys.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:12 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You can in Philadelphia.
I did 3 months of Amtrak to Philly for 3 nights in center city last year. Commuter rail, subway, and PATCO to New Jersey work fine. Rail to the airport could be more frequent than every 30 minutes. I was fine without a car. Uber works fine.

You can live in Boston without a car. The T has good coverage

Old 02-19-2018, 04:23 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,829,130 times
No to big city first of all, but if somehow I did - there is no way I'd go without a car.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:24 AM

14,191 posts, read 9,085,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreysrey View Post
I like to have ownership of everything. I need my car in small or big city. I need to go anywhere as I please without waiting for anyone. I had no car for 2 days and I felt handicap.
A chaçun son gout.

As long as you understand how others don't necessarily feel constrained - or even feel liberated - by not owning a car, I'm fine with this.

Personally, I'm glad I can get "wheels when I want them" and not have to pay for them when I don't.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:00 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,478,720 times
I'll take a car and country living any day of the week. I hate big cities. I don't even like to visit one. But if I didn't need a car, and owning one actually caused more problems than its worth, then I'd sell the car and use public transportation. I'd rather pay someone else to navigate through the moving madness.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:20 AM

7,782 posts, read 6,394,423 times
Freezing your arse standing at a bus stop in winter sucks big time.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:22 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
Suppose you lived in a big city like NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo, Barcelona where the publication transportation is pretty reliable, would you still choose to be a car owner?

I think I wouldn't. Actually I hardly needed to drive when I lived in Shanghai.

In other words, I am a car owner because the lack of public transportation where I live forces me to.
I have. My family who live in NYC even own cars.

The reason being, how do you go hiking, skiing, to the beach, or to visit friends who live two hours away without a car? How do you pick up lumber, sacks of soil, a large tv, etc., without a car?

That doesn't mean I don't use public transportation, though. I like my cars and I would rather put miles on them doing the things I listed above than wearing it down commuting.

I would only not own a car if I lived somewhere that would cost a small monthly fortune to secure a parking space for it, like Manhattan.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:44 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
Quote:
Philly is one of the few major cities I haven't visited, and it's definitely on my list.

However, I'm more concerned with safety rather than the availability of mass transit.
Been riding transit in Philly for decades. Never had issues with safety.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:51 AM

14,191 posts, read 9,085,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
It’s sounds like you’re having trouble adapting. Just switch up your hobbies from going clubbing or to the opera or whatever you big city folks do all day, and go kayaking, hunting, fishing, 4 wheeling, etc. Buy a big truck with huge tires and buy a big house with a huge yard for a fraction of the price of a 1 bedroom studio in a big city. Instead of paying more rent, you could own more toys.
Remember the 1960s TV sitcom "Green Acres"?

It centered on an Odd Couple whose husband loved rural living but whose wife preferred big-city glamour. Hubby dragged Wifey along to the boonies, and the comedy flowed in part from the cultural disconnect.

Some folks simply prefer the sorts of pleasures big cities offer, while others like the things you can do in the wilds.

It's not as simple as just shedding one skin and putting on another, chameleon-like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive