Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 12:38 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,643,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Then the public transportation is not great. Great would be waiting for a short time in a heated station then boarding a train that gets you to the destination faster than you can drive.
I realize, most cities only have junky buses that are not reliable and everything about them is to discourage you from using them.
What city has heated bus stations? I've never seen one and I've lived in the Northeast for over 40 years! I've never seen one air conditioned in the South either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 12:52 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,482,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I do live in a big city like NYC. We eventually decided to do without a car. High registration and insurance fees, alternate side of the street parking. Even let my over-priced driver's license go. Aside from not being able to just jump in the car for weekend excursions out of the city, and not being able to fill a van with mass quantities of stuff bought at Costco, we really didn't miss it.

As I edge toward retirement, I'm just starting to think about getting my driver's license again.
I've visited and talked with people in places numerous places, as detailed below:
For NYC, the car was a both a hassle and convenience. It's harder to drive, but it's the way to go if you want to go out of town. OTOH, it's not as bad to get around where you'd need to. You just need extra time to do transfers and otherwise walk. Good exercise too. According to the film Super Size Me, your typical New Yorker walks 5 miles a day, whereas someone who commutes by car, only 0.8mi.
For Chicago, the folks I've talked had to sell their cars when they moved there... either happily, or begrudgingly. In many parts of it, there's just no place to park, it's super expensive, and getting around gridlock can be murder. Their public transit is quite good though
LA... it's a car culture city. Even though it may take an hour to get to places that would otherwise be half to 1/4 the time without traffic, they're not dense enough to have a comprehensive rail and bus network, so for most people, a car is still a necessity. Some folks COULD walk, but they'd have to walk through bad/dangerous neighborhoods
San Diego... one guy just walks or bikes everywhere, which is why it works out well for him.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:04 AM

13,006 posts, read 18,928,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
What city has heated bus stations? I've never seen one and I've lived in the Northeast for over 40 years! I've never seen one air conditioned in the South either.
Just a few BUS stations are heated, but many TRAIN stations are. And there are many suburban New York, Chicago, and Philadelphia (don't know about LA yet) towns where Propinquity to a train station is as important as good schools.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:18 AM

14,209 posts, read 9,113,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Uh, Love The One You’re With = Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, I think. Not John Lennon.
Just Stills, without Crosby, Nash or Young, but thanks for the correction.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:59 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,125,811 times
If I lived in a big city with awesome public transit, I'd still drive; largely because to me, driving is an independence factor. Unless mass transit runs 24-7 in a big city, you're restricted as to what you can do.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:20 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,798,480 times
I would absolutely hate being dependent on public transportation. When I lived in The Hague, I would go weeks to months without getting onto a tram, train, or bus. Crowded, dirty, full of germs during flu season...and still in the grand scheme of things, The Hague has one of the better mass transit systems! I didn't have a car there - I walked and cycled everywhere.

I do enjoy driving, despite how annoying it can be in huge cities, and if I were living in a big city for more than a year or two I would probably buy a car and arrange for private parking. I would try to live close enough to work that I could walk/cycle there, and would mainly use the car for grocery shopping and trips out of the city.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:41 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,012,374 times
Nope. Not if I could possible live without it. I didn't have cars for many years in Boston and San Francisco, and was thankful for not having the hassle.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:57 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,459,737 times
Short answer? Yes, I simply have to be able to get away sometimes. Can't not have it, even if it sat more often than I drove it.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:16 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,864,593 times
I've lived downtown in a cities smaller than those and gave up my car. The parking costs weren't worth it. I could get anywhere I needed via public transportation. I honestly never missed my car. I missed driving randomly listening to music which I enjoy but otherwise I never sat in traffic stewing waiting for the 4th red light to cycle. Ha.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:52 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,478,293 times
I live in Denver. The public transit is not on par with New York City or LA or London or Chicago, but it is still pretty solid. Pair that with ride sharing and you probably don't need a car if you're living/working close to downtown.

However, we also live in Denver to be close to the mountains and partake in some of the mountain activities throughout the year. That is why owning a car (preferably with AWD/4WD) is essential for us. If we were urbanists living in one of the major cities above, then I'd probably forego car ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive