Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 04:41 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,202,887 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of discussion about children and pets left locked in hot vehicles and when it is okay to break a window to rescue. It seems like there would be a way to design an automatic venting system for cars that would kick on at a certain temp and run off of the battery. A. all 4 windows could automatically opened about 1.5 inches. B. Through the floor of the vehicle, a vent could open with a low voltage fan, drawing air into the vehicle. C. The system could detect weight in the seats and engage only if so. I wonder if this type of safety feature could save some lives. Are there other safety solutions for this that could be integrated into vehicles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 07:27 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Know what would save lives? How about not leaving kids or pets in cars on hot days.

On hot days I leave my dogs at home inside. I see people walking their dogs on concrete or asphalt on hot days and I’m thinking wtf are you doing. Your dogs foot pads are baking in the 130* asphalt.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:41 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Several companies did offer that. I know Mercedes was one and Toyota Prius offered it at one time. They used a small solar panel in the sunroof to power the fans to keep at least ambient temperature inside the car. It wasn’t intended for kids and dogs, but it did make for more comfortable interior, plus it probably helped keeping it from aging so quickly.

I guess it wasn’t popular.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:41 AM

45,429 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Know what would save lives? How about not leaving kids or pets in cars on hot days.

On hot days I leave my dogs at home inside. I see people walking their dogs on concrete or asphalt on hot days and I’m thinking wtf are you doing. Your dogs foot pads are baking in the 130* asphalt.
Yeah, that's the ticket. Add X hundreds of dollars to the price of vehicles to moron proof for a small minority of either careless or terminally stupid people.

Dogs. Yesterday here was in the 90s and the Boardwalk gets direct sunlight most of the day so the surface of it hits 140 or so, Yet there they are, the dog walkers.

Then on Friday nights with the Farmer's Market it's like a Pet Parade with 2000 people there and dogs looking bedraggled and confused, not to mention the heat off the street surface.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:42 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

People don’t intentionally leave their kids in the car. That’s like saying don’t crash your car and you won’t need seatbelts or insurance.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:16 AM

1,062 posts, read 982,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, that's the ticket. Add X hundreds of dollars to the price of vehicles to moron proof for a small minority of either careless or terminally stupid people.

Dogs. Yesterday here was in the 90s and the Boardwalk gets direct sunlight most of the day so the surface of it hits 140 or so, Yet there they are, the dog walkers.

Then on Friday nights with the Farmer's Market it's like a Pet Parade with 2000 people there and dogs looking bedraggled and confused, not to mention the heat off the street surface.
Are you serious? It's a pretty simple thing with lots of benefits, that carmakers just haven't implemented.

It's worth it to increase the longevity of the interior and electronics alone

Old 07-03-2018, 08:18 AM

45,429 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Are you serious? It's a pretty simple thing with lots of benefits, that carmakers just haven't implemented.

It's worth it to increase the longevity of the interior and electronics alone
Yes, I'm serious.

Think about it for a minute. Eliminate the dog or the kid and you now have a car for which the windows automatically go down when a set internal temperature is reached. You don't see any problems with that?

Old 07-03-2018, 08:19 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,987,568 times
It would add to the cost of the car.

You'd also have false alarm issues. Do you want to drain your battery, or have rain and bugs get in, because you left a heavy box in your back seat?

I think a better option would be to have a tether that attaches to the babies ankle or clothing. It would function similar to the safety on a treadmill. And instead of a complicated venting system, it would just ding or sound the alarm if it's left in for too long while the car isn't running or the keys aren't in the ignition.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:05 AM

1,062 posts, read 982,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
It would add to the cost of the car.

You'd also have false alarm issues. Do you want to drain your battery, or have rain and bugs get in, because you left a heavy box in your back seat?

I think a better option would be to have a tether that attaches to the babies ankle or clothing. It would function similar to the safety on a treadmill. And instead of a complicated venting system, it would just ding or sound the alarm if it's left in for too long while the car isn't running or the keys aren't in the ignition.
Cars have this feature. VWs in other countries can crack the windows automatically based on temperature, and roll them up when the rain sensor is triggered. You don't need a weight sensor.

I have no idea where this baby and dog thing is even coming from. Just have an alarm go off if a motion sensor detects that there's a person in the car and it's too hot and do the ventilation thing as an additional benefit to improve odds of survival.

It never ceases to amaze me how much opposition there is to good features that are easy to implement.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:08 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,987,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Cars have this feature. VWs in other countries can crack the windows automatically based on temperature, and roll them up when the rain sensor is triggered. You don't need a weight sensor.

I have no idea where this baby and dog thing is even coming from. Just have an alarm go off if a motion sensor detects that there's a person in the car and it's too hot
I don't think a motion sensor would work well with young babies or sleeping children. The weight sensor probably wouldn't work that well either. Is an 18lb weight an empty car seat with a diaper bag in it? Or an 11lb car seat and a 7lb baby?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive