Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 06:58 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times

Advertisements

Its simple. Slow Mod cut. down! Its not a race track.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-09-2018 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:29 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
- Don't be the fastest one on the road.
- Slow around corners, hills, overpasses, etc:
- Look farther ahead than you normally would
- Watch other drivers behavior such as hitting the brakes for no apparent reason
- Buy a radar detector and know how to USE it
- Be aware of the speed limit

That's about it. Not hard. Just use your head.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:33 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,472 times
Easy tip:
If I’m in the passing lane and someone comes up behind me really quickly, I usually keep them there for a minute then let them pass. They get so mad at being trapped that they speed off and become a “rabbit”. Then the cops will likely see them first and leave me in the clear.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:22 PM

9,511 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
July 4th 1968 I got my last speeding ticket. The five years before that I had received many speeding tickets and had lost my license on two different occasions. Although I slowed down some from my reckless years; I credit most of my almost 50 years, without a ticket, to a formulated game plan. Here is what worked for me:

Be observant. If you see other motorist pulled over; slow down because there is a chance they are not the only police (they could have a crackdown on speeding). Slow down if another vehicle is overtaking you or matching your speed; let them pass you and find another customer. Slow down anytime you cannot see the edges of the road - that goes for blind turns, heavy foliage that could conceal a police car, interstate entrance ramps where the terrain or foliage conceals places for police cars to hide, or building and signs that can hide police cars.

Never try to be first when speeding. There is a CB slang term: "In the rocking chair" and that is where you preferably want to be when speeding. It means that you are in the middle with a speeding car leading and one following you. The idea is that they would get the tickets first and the police would leave you alone. Of course most cars do not have CB radios and you cannot always properly identify vehicle approaching you from the rear. So you do the next best thing and when a speeding car passes you; you follow. You also slow down if another vehicle approaches from the rear (don't take a chance). Slow down if the lead vehicle hits the brakes; they might have realized they just spotted a radar trap.

Be especially careful on nice days and clear nights. Our police do not like to get cold or wet. You are less likely to get tickets during adverse weather - of course it is more dangerous to speed during adverse weather.

Speed up hill and not downhill. Our police are more likely to set up speed traps going downhill - they get more customers including those that simply do not brake going downhill.

Avoid drawing attention to your vehicle. I know that is hard for some that only want everybody to look at them; but avoiding police attention will save you tickets. If you have a light out; replace it quickly. Every day that light is out is another chance to get pulled over. When you get pulled over our police might find more violations. Aggressive driving can get attention from police far away from your vehicle; avoid tailgating and swerving. Mufflers, tinted windows, fog lights, and flashy colors might advertise your willingness to get a ticket.

Know the laws of your state - ignorance is not bliss. Some roads are incorporating the newer technology. Don't get caught because you are unaware.

Pay close attention to the roads you travel everyday. Learn where there speed traps are located and look for unmarked vehicles.

If others have tips; please feel free to post them here.

Excellent advice. I typically drive well over the speed limit and use many of techniques you've described. I haven't been convicted of speeding in over 30 years.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Tips to avoid speeding tickets; Don't speed

LOL. Some of us live in the real world and care more about actual safety than an arbitrary number on a roadside sign. Go with the flow of traffic, or you're a hazard.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:41 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
OP, I do all of those things you suggested.

No strategy is absolutely foolproof but I've got two words for ya: "situational awareness."

I continue to be amazed by the number of drivers who don't really, really pay attention to what's happening on the road. I'm always on the lookout for "the man."

If you travel regular routes every day, there's almost no excuse for getting a speeding ticket. It's not like you don't know where cops sit. At a couple of locations in my area cops have been sitting in the same spots for 50 years!

Not in a familiar area? That's where "situational awareness" comes in.
-- are there brake lights ahead, on open road?
-- is traffic slowing for no apparent reason?
-- is a car coming up behind you so fast it's gaining every time you look in the rear view mirror?
(If I'm doing 80, and every time I look up you're gaining on me, I need to slow up and see who you are.)

-- are there spots where cops could sit and hide? wooded medians or shoulders? billboards? curves? overpasses? on ramps.
-- know you're jurisdiction lines
-- are you in an area where the speed limit is obviously too low for the road?
-- do certain makes and models of cars have high performance tires that seem out of place? (with no hubcaps)
-- extra, hidden lights in the front grill, door handles, back trunk area?
-- cops are trying to get slick -- when you see an unexpected undercover car, make note of the make, model, color for future reference. They're in SUVs, custom paint job sports cars, pick ups -- not just Crown Vics and Malibus any more.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:15 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
LOL. Some of us live in the real world and care more about actual safety than an arbitrary number on a roadside sign. Go with the flow of traffic, or you're a hazard.
I'd agree that going with the flow is the best answer. However, in school and construction zones, it's best to drive the speed limit. The cops will usually monitor speeds in these areas more. Plus, the fines for speeding double in many states. Let her fly on the open highway, though.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I'd agree that going with the flow is the best answer. However, in school and construction zones, it's best to drive the speed limit. The cops will usually monitor speeds in these areas more. Plus, the fines for speeding double in many states. Let her fly on the open highway, though.

Agree 100%.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

No strategy is absolutely foolproof but I've got two words for ya: "situational awareness."

This.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:22 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
This topic is inappropriate and the thread is now closed. Some personal attacks and off-topic posts have been deleted, though some remain. I'm not staying up all night to clean up the entire thread.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive