Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 05:53 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times

Advertisements

July 4th 1968 I got my last speeding ticket. The five years before that I had received many speeding tickets and had lost my license on two different occasions. Although I slowed down some from my reckless years; I credit most of my almost 50 years, without a ticket, to a formulated game plan. Here is what worked for me:

Be observant. If you see other motorist pulled over; slow down because there is a chance they are not the only police (they could have a crackdown on speeding). Slow down if another vehicle is overtaking you or matching your speed; let them pass you and find another customer. Slow down anytime you cannot see the edges of the road - that goes for blind turns, heavy foliage that could conceal a police car, interstate entrance ramps where the terrain or foliage conceals places for police cars to hide, or building and signs that can hide police cars.

Never try to be first when speeding. There is a CB slang term: "In the rocking chair" and that is where you preferably want to be when speeding. It means that you are in the middle with a speeding car leading and one following you. The idea is that they would get the tickets first and the police would leave you alone. Of course most cars do not have CB radios and you cannot always properly identify vehicle approaching you from the rear. So you do the next best thing and when a speeding car passes you; you follow. You also slow down if another vehicle approaches from the rear (don't take a chance). Slow down if the lead vehicle hits the brakes; they might have realized they just spotted a radar trap.

Be especially careful on nice days and clear nights. Our police do not like to get cold or wet. You are less likely to get tickets during adverse weather - of course it is more dangerous to speed during adverse weather.

Speed up hill and not downhill. Our police are more likely to set up speed traps going downhill - they get more customers including those that simply do not brake going downhill.

Avoid drawing attention to your vehicle. I know that is hard for some that only want everybody to look at them; but avoiding police attention will save you tickets. If you have a light out; replace it quickly. Every day that light is out is another chance to get pulled over. When you get pulled over our police might find more violations. Aggressive driving can get attention from police far away from your vehicle; avoid tailgating and swerving. Mufflers, tinted windows, fog lights, and flashy colors might advertise your willingness to get a ticket.

Know the laws of your state - ignorance is not bliss. Some roads are incorporating the newer technology. Don't get caught because you are unaware.

Pay close attention to the roads you travel everyday. Learn where there speed traps are located and look for unmarked vehicles.

If others have tips; please feel free to post them here.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:04 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Tips to avoid speeding tickets; Don't speed

Old 05-14-2018, 06:51 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Lol, that would be the best tip.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:18 PM

93 posts, read 63,328 times
I'm never the fastest guy on the road. I always let someone get out a 1/4 mile ahead of me. If I see his tail lights come on then I slow down. Also keep an eye in your rear view mirror.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:21 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I just don't speed.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:48 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
July 4th 1968 I got my last speeding ticket. The five years before that I had received many speeding tickets and had lost my license on two different occasions. Although I slowed down some from my reckless years; I credit most of my almost 50 years, without a ticket, to a formulated game plan. Here is what worked for me:

Be observant. If you see other motorist pulled over; slow down because there is a chance they are not the only police (they could have a crackdown on speeding). Slow down if another vehicle is overtaking you or matching your speed; let them pass you and find another customer. Slow down anytime you cannot see the edges of the road - that goes for blind turns, heavy foliage that could conceal a police car, interstate entrance ramps where the terrain or foliage conceals places for police cars to hide, or building and signs that can hide police cars.

Never try to be first when speeding. There is a CB slang term: "In the rocking chair" and that is where you preferably want to be when speeding. It means that you are in the middle with a speeding car leading and one following you. The idea is that they would get the tickets first and the police would leave you alone. Of course most cars do not have CB radios and you cannot always properly identify vehicle approaching you from the rear. So you do the next best thing and when a speeding car passes you; you follow. You also slow down if another vehicle approaches from the rear (don't take a chance). Slow down if the lead vehicle hits the brakes; they might have realized they just spotted a radar trap.

Be especially careful on nice days and clear nights. Our police do not like to get cold or wet. You are less likely to get tickets during adverse weather - of course it is more dangerous to speed during adverse weather.

Speed up hill and not downhill. Our police are more likely to set up speed traps going downhill - they get more customers including those that simply do not brake going downhill.

Avoid drawing attention to your vehicle. I know that is hard for some that only want everybody to look at them; but avoiding police attention will save you tickets. If you have a light out; replace it quickly. Every day that light is out is another chance to get pulled over. When you get pulled over our police might find more violations. Aggressive driving can get attention from police far away from your vehicle; avoid tailgating and swerving. Mufflers, tinted windows, fog lights, and flashy colors might advertise your willingness to get a ticket.

Know the laws of your state - ignorance is not bliss. Some roads are incorporating the newer technology. Don't get caught because you are unaware.

Pay close attention to the roads you travel everyday. Learn where there speed traps are located and look for unmarked vehicles.

If others have tips; please feel free to post them here.
Are you serious? You worry about a million things in order to avoid getting a speeding ticket? I’m sorry, but what exactly is wrong with you? Forget everything you just wrote and remember this instead: drive the speed limit. Problem solved. If you choose to ignore this sage advice, you deserve every grey hair, ulcer, and stress induced, anxious moment you have.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:02 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
On a limited access highway, speed limit + 9 on cruise control will never get you a ticket. Ditto speed limit + 4 on a secondary road. Any faster than that and you’ll eventually get a ticket no matter what you do.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:13 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
That's the only sure way, but 90% or more of drivers don't follow it. Speed limits are too low almost everywhere so everyone speeds.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:19 PM

19,527 posts, read 9,543,957 times
My Spidy senses kick in

Old 05-14-2018, 08:43 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
dont drive a red car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive