Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 10:45 AM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
You need to factor in how much it costs to put gas in these things when considering affordability and no...a 10 y.o truck based SUV is generally going to cost more to purchase (in some cases FAR more) than a 10 year old sedan in the same condition. Also most BMWs and other European luxury sedans are dirt cheap (compared to new) second hand. No, not all people driving secondhand full sized SUVs have money but its just really inaccurate to assume the BMW driver is doing better.
I just don’t think most people think oh that’s a rich elite person when we see an Expedition or an F150 go by. An Escalade sure, but the reason I hate that person in front of me is not because they have money but because their blinding me with their tinted rear window and they’re blocking my view of the road. The reason I hate coming out from the supermarket to find one parked next to me it’s not because they have money, but because I can’t see if any cars are coming when I try to back out. Why is that so hard to understand?

My fiance drives a Ford Econoline 250 and a Chevy Tahoe. I prefer not to have him in front of me either, although the Tahoe is not that bad because it’s not over-sized and he does not have a tinted back window.

There is no deep psychological reason behind the fact that people want to be able to see the road ahead of them when they’re driving. I think all of us prefer that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 12:59 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Things about SUVs and Pickups that people driving small cars hate, that the SUV and Pickup drivers like, and some reasons they buy them.

1: They complain they take away the the car drivers forward vision. On the other hand, one of the reason SUV and Pickup drivers buy them, is they have so much better vision and knowledge of upcoming road conditions.

2: They say they flip over, at such a high rate thus making them dangerous. The Insurance Institute which is the Insurance Industry watchdog, getting their members accurate figures to be able to set rates so they do not lose money says just the opposite. They have taken figures that they have available, and have found that cars flip over at twice the rate that SUVs and Pickups do. So that is a reason that SUV and Pickup drivers buy them. They have seen wreck after wreck, where the SUV and Pickup occupants walk away from the wreck, and the small auto drivers and occupants end up in the hospital or Morgue. They buy them, to make things safer for themselves and their families.

3: Marie Joseph said above that a SUV found his brakes did not stop on ice. Some SUV drivers in snow are still driving with summer tires which are stiff rubber, and do not stop on ice. However the majority in snow areas like we have in Montana, drive with winter tires in the winter. Winter tires have softer rubber and we put studs on them, so that we can stop on ice, and drive at speeds and conditions that allow us safe passage. Intelligent SUV and Pickup up drivers drive with Winter Tires and Studs, in snow and ice conditions, and combine these special tires and AWD or 4X4 drive, and it is the safest you can make it in the winter.

4: Due the interior size thee is sufficient room for a dance to be held in the SUV. The driver can be comfortable and handle problems better than a large person all cramped up in a dinky little car,. A long body tall man like myself, cannot even sit up and drive one of those match book cars. I cannot even sit up behind the wheel of those little match book cars they build today.

In other words the things that regular car drivers complain about SUV and Pickup drivers and their vehicles, are the exact reasons that the big selling vehicles are SUVs and Pickups and the reasons they buy and drive them.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Things about SUVs and Pickups that people driving small cars hate, that the SUV and Pickup drivers like, and some reasons they buy them.

1: They complain they take away the the car drivers forward vision. On the other hand, one of the reason SUV and Pickup drivers buy them, is they have so much better vision and knowledge of upcoming road conditions.

2: They say they flip over, at such a high rate thus making them dangerous. The Insurance Institute which is the Insurance Industry watchdog, getting their members accurate figures to be able to set rates so they do not lose money says just the opposite. They have taken figures that they have available, and have found that cars flip over at twice the rate that SUVs and Pickups do. So that is a reason that SUV and Pickup drivers buy them. They have seen wreck after wreck, where the SUV and Pickup occupants walk away from the wreck, and the small auto drivers and occupants end up in the hospital or Morgue. They buy them, to make things safer for themselves and their families.

3: Marie Joseph said above that a SUV found his brakes did not stop on ice. Some SUV drivers in snow are still driving with summer tires which are stiff rubber, and do not stop on ice. However the majority in snow areas like we have in Montana, drive with winter tires in the winter. Winter tires have softer rubber and we put studs on them, so that we can stop on ice, and drive at speeds and conditions that allow us safe passage. Intelligent SUV and Pickup up drivers drive with Winter Tires and Studs, in snow and ice conditions, and combine these special tires and AWD or 4X4 drive, and it is the safest you can make it in the winter.

4: Due the interior size thee is sufficient room for a dance to be held in the SUV. The driver can be comfortable and handle problems better than a large person all cramped up in a dinky little car,. A long body tall man like myself, cannot even sit up and drive one of those match book cars. I cannot even sit up behind the wheel of those little match book cars they build today.

In other words the things that regular car drivers complain about SUV and Pickup drivers and their vehicles, are the exact reasons that the big selling vehicles are SUVs and Pickups and the reasons they buy and drive them.
Which proves my point, that good visibility is important to all drivers. Yet when I offer that is the reason why I do not like big SUVs in front of me, people say no it’s not about visibility at all, it’s jealousy,

Old 06-24-2018, 07:02 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
I think car registration fees should be based on the vehicle weight. Heavy vehicles tear up the road more than light cars.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:28 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,054 times
If you can't see around the car/truck ahead of you. your tailgating, Simple as that. I have no problem with SUVs, buses, RVs, cube vans, etc blocking my view, Because I don't tailgate.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:54 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I think car registration fees should be based on the vehicle weight. Heavy vehicles tear up the road more than light cars.
I wish they did because it would be cheaper to get tags than by blue book value, because most large SUVs and pickups cost a hell of a lot more than a small rice burner. And we’re the blue book values of smaller sedans go’s down SUVs and pickups hold their value. So yes please change it to go by weight. And what about semi trucks if you want to charge them also be ready to pay more for everything you eat and buy because trucking companies will pass the added expense on to all of us consumers.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
If you can't see around the car/truck ahead of you. your tailgating, Simple as that. I have no problem with SUVs, buses, RVs, cube vans, etc blocking my view, Because I don't tailgate.
Neither do I. Other people have said this but it is not true. On a level road no
Matter how far back you can’t see around a tall and wide vehicle. Again when I want to pass on a two lane road I have to wait till we get to a curve or a hill to see how many people up the line of traffic goes and be able to pass safely. Being 15 feet back does not allow me to see in front of a vehicle twice as tall and wide as my car, it’s simply not true.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:26 AM

21,865 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Which proves my point, that good visibility is important to all drivers. Yet when I offer that is the reason why I do not like big SUVs in front of me, people say no it’s not about visibility at all, it’s jealousy,
Sure, that's one thing. I don't put much of any stock in it though. It's annoying not being able to see over or around them, but it's incredibly easy to compensate for that. Increase your following distance. Done. No point whinging on about it anymore than there is whinging on about that you can't see around a tractor-trailer.

My only real issue is the bumper mismatch. Trucks or SUVs have the bumpers up high enough they'll usually completely clear over a smaller car's. They should have the same bumper height requirements as passenger cars. While I'm sympathetic to the point of taller bumpers on something like a Jeep that, even though most do not, is ostensibly an off-road vehicle, I have no such sympathies for people who put 12 inch lifts on their F-350 smoke stacks. That's great, but it doesn't belong on public roads anymore. If you want to put it on trailer to take to your redneck roadshows or whatever, that's your business.

The driving behavior of the owners exacerbates that. I find most people driving modified Wranglers are pretty respectful about it. They know the on-road limitations of the vehicle and their primary purpose isn't so much compensating for mental defects and a self-entitled attitude toward road ownership. It's either that they actually off-road or want to pretend they do. They spend a lot less time a foot off your bumper because you won't go 50 miles per hour through a school zone than the lifted trucks do.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:35 AM

21,865 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Neither do I. Other people have said this but it is not true. On a level road no
Matter how far back you can’t see around a tall and wide vehicle. Again when I want to pass on a two lane road I have to wait till we get to a curve or a hill to see how many people up the line of traffic goes and be able to pass safely. Being 15 feet back does not allow me to see in front of a vehicle twice as tall and wide as my car, it’s simply not true.
Being 15 feet back from a vehicle travelling anything under a few miles per hour is gross negligence. At typical two-lane road speeds where you should even be passing anyone, you should be more like 200-300 feet back. That's your problem. You're a completely negligent driver from what you're describing.

It does make them harder to pass but it's not that difficult. Instead of driving like Mod cut., peek out from a normal following distance. You have plenty of time to return to quickly return to your lane if there's an on-coming car obscured by the vehicle you're following. You just need a longer gap since you'll need to cover an additional 100-200 feet, or 200-300 if you actually do ride 15 feet behind people like Mod cut..

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-25-2018 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Personal attacks; name-calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive