Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 11:07 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Mommy mobiles were mini-vans in the 90s; now they've migrated to the giant SUVs: Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Pilot, Highlander and Expedition.

The perceived safety is a big issue. I get that.
Both the Pilot and Highlander are midsize crossovers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 07:01 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Key word "perceived". I'd never drive an SUV, for a handful of reasons, but safety is definitely not one of them. They are so prone to flipping when involved in a crash, and a flipped car drastically increases the chances of its passengers being more seriously injured. I'll stick with cars, still get 5 star crash ratings and are pretty difficult to roll.
I've now lived in Colorado for 41 years. The majority of vehicles I've seen that slide off the icy road and flip over were pickups and big SUVs. It's simple physics; the tall vehicles have a higher center of mass.

The cars can also slide off the road but they usually don't flip over.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:19 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Lets look at the true facts on which is safer, and has the highest roll over rate.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...l#post52285474

The insurance industry, has an institute to study all types of properties of all types, to help insurance companies estimate the risk they are under when issuing insurance policies. They have found that these small car owners that keep preaching that SUVs and Pickups are so much more dangerous to drive, and are roll over hazards, are completely wrong.

Read that article and learn the truth.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:08 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,971 times
Generally, large SUV screams "I have money"
And people (heh) HATE to see someone doing well
Or at least better than they are.

Then you get... haters.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:11 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I've now lived in Colorado for 41 years. The majority of vehicles I've seen that slide off the icy road and flip over were pickups and big SUVs. It's simple physics; the tall vehicles have a higher center of mass.

The cars can also slide off the road but they usually don't flip over.
This.

Also many people think 4WD is infallible, even on ice.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:12 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
This.

Also many people think 4WD is infallible, even on ice.
Honestly, in the time I've lived up here I don't recall seeing any of the vehicles that went off into the ditch due to icy/snowy roads being just regular sedans. All of 'em were SUVs/pick ups that I remember because I recall thinking it odd no plain old cars ended up in the ditches.

4WD/AWD definitely is helpful for driving through snow but it's not going to help you stop sooner

Last winter, I was part of a line of traffic driving along on a 2-lane road in near whiteout conditions. The road had not yet been plowed and there was already 3-4" of snow on the road with ice underneath it. Everyone is crawling along because the road is full of corkscrew turns and nobody wants to end up in the ditches, lol. This full size SUV rips past everyone on the opposing side of the road then tries to hit the brakes before the next bend in the road. He found out his brakes weren't AWD and that SUV went flying off the road into the ditch. I stopped because I felt bad for him even though he was a dumbass.

I've driven SUVs and like the room and being able to sit higher since I am short. I love them for hauling. I hate parking the huge ones

Outside of a few who feel invicible on snow, I'm okay with SUVs.

The only other time they annoy me is when I am driving the Focus and am trying to back out of a parking space A short driver in a small car trying to see around a huge-azz SUV just doesn't work well!

Old 06-24-2018, 07:45 AM

431 posts, read 352,135 times
Tribalism. It is rampant these days. Everything from politics to music to what you drive. If you aren't one of us, you are the enemy and I hate you.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:27 AM

50,756 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post

Then you get... haters.
Ok the guy I the Explorer has more money than the guy in the BMW? I hate old rusty SUVs in front of me too. Believe it or not, it really is as simple as I like to be able to see the road ahead of me. Money has nothing to do with it you can buy a 10-year-old SUV as easily as you can buy a 10-year-old sedan. Most people don’t like dump trucks in front of them for the same reason, and it’s not because the dump truck cost more than their car which it does.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:09 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post

Then you get... haters.
A lot of truth in this.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:41 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Ok the guy I the Explorer has more money than the guy in the BMW? I hate old rusty SUVs in front of me too. Believe it or not, it really is as simple as I like to be able to see the road ahead of me. Money has nothing to do with it you can buy a 10-year-old SUV as easily as you can buy a 10-year-old sedan. Most people don’t like dump trucks in front of them for the same reason, and it’s not because the dump truck cost more than their car which it does.
You need to factor in how much it costs to put gas in these things when considering affordability and no...a 10 y.o truck based SUV is generally going to cost more to purchase (in some cases FAR more) than a 10 year old sedan in the same condition. Also most BMWs and other European luxury sedans are dirt cheap (compared to new) second hand. No, not all people driving secondhand full sized SUVs have money but its just really inaccurate to assume the BMW driver is doing better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive