Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 04:46 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times

Advertisements

Seems really overpriced for what you get according to the posts so far. I pay 5.00 every 6 months thru my insurance Progressive for the same thing 24/7 service.

Here is a summary.
What's included?
If your vehicle has stopped running due to non-accident related events (e.g. mechanical or electrical breakdown), use your roadside assistance coverage to help with:
Towing – Whenever your covered vehicle requires more than at-the-scene service, we can arrange to tow it anywhere within a 15-mile radius, or to the nearest qualified repair facility if one doesn’t exist within 15 miles. Keep in mind that you will be responsible for the cost of any parts and/or repairs made to your vehicle.
Winching Service – Defined as an at-the-scene service when we can pull your car out of an area with a motor-powered cable or chain. We’ll offer this service if your car is trapped in mud, snow, water or sand within 100 feet of road or highway.
Battery Jump-Start – Call us if your battery fails. If possible, it will be jump-started at the scene to help get you on your way.
Fuel Delivery – If you run out of gas, get the required fuel you need delivered directly to your vehicle. You only pay for the cost of the fuel. The delivery and service are free.
Locksmith Service – If your keys are lost, stolen or accidentally locked inside your vehicle, we will dispatch a qualified service provider. You’ll only be responsible for keys/costs to replace them.
Flat Tire Change – No need to panic if you have a flat. A roadside professional can put the spare tire on your vehicle at the scene.
On Scene Labor – Related to disablement, up to one hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 05:46 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Seems really overpriced for what you get according to the posts so far.
I actually use a lot of their services other than emergency. We buy & sell cars regularly, and I do all the title transfers and registration at the Auto Club. To me it's about worth the price just not to have to go to the DMV, as it is a vastly faster and more pleasant experience at AAA, and it's closer to my house too. I buy discounted tickets for movies there, and we have used their travel services. Some people get insurance through them, too.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:51 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Why couldn't the OP download the AAA app. It works with GPS. I don't call. I just hit road service in the app. The app shows where the tow truck is too. Actually, I'm not sure if that's in every area they serve, but it works great here.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:58 PM

2,182 posts, read 2,321,661 times
It is beyond frustrating when callers expect agents to know where they are. There is no way for any roadside service to send help if they can't pinpoint your location. And they have no idea where you are without being provided that information. Always know what plan you're paying for. It's easy to upgrade your plan. And keep that phone charged for emergencies.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:18 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
I used AAA for decades. Years ago their trip planning package was really nice; today much of that can be provided free online or with your car's nav feature, if you have one. But AAA goes beyond the road maps and includes information about towns, tourist sites, etc. that you'll be traveling through. I've used their towing and, yes, even empty gas tank service. (And I wasn't even out of gas, but that's another story.)

I usually bought the upgraded membership since towns are so few and it's so far between them in the west. I don't think I ever had to pay extra and had no complaints, but when I bought my last couple new vehicles, roadside assistance was free for a couple years, plus I buy roadside assistance with my car's insurance policy for next to nothing, and I also have Verizon's Hum, an "emergency phone" which includes roadside service plus a bunch of other cool stuff. (Attached to car and can be used on only one vehicle.)

Old 06-17-2018, 06:34 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,201,438 times
I had AAA for many years and only used them a couple of times. Once, when it was extremely cold out, they never did show up. Another time, when stranded with a young child on vacation, it took them 6 hours to get back to us to tow the vehicle. I only received a recording when I called. We had to walk quite a ways and try to figure something out. There were other locals who saw us and helped us. AAA eventually called in the evening, but, after that experience, AAA, in my opinion, cannot be depended on. I dropped my subscription. I really only useed my AAA subscription a few times. Another time, I tried to use it at Pizza Hut for a 10 percent discount and Pizza Hut said they no longer honor AAA. AAA had it listed in their benefits though.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:48 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
So been paying for an AAA membership for the whole driving family and finally needed a tow from roadside assistance. What a pain in the arse. The kid was really upset that the car broke down and was nowhere she really knew - and she gets a damn computer menu. Then it kept badgering her for a zip code - seriously? She didn't even know the neighborhood she was in let alone the zip code. Finally with her phone battery slowly dying, she gets a live person who is asking a million account related questions till finally my daughter is like - wouldn't you like to know where I am incase my phone dies? And is trying to give her the coordinates from the street signs she is physically standing under - while the girl is telling her to hold so she can "pinpoint" it on the map for the tow truck driver. OMG - how infuriating. Then for the final - I'm never again paying AAA another penny moment - they tell her they only pay for the first 3 THREE miles of towing and charge $4.50 a mile after that. How many people break down THREE miles from their known service stations? Called me, I called roadside assistance from the insurance company and the tow truck was there within 15-20 minutes and THEY covered towing for the first 20 miles. And they were a hell of a lot cheaper then AAA. Lesson learned. And now shared.
It's too bad that instead of duplicating your towing service with AAA and your insurance, you didn't just pay for AAA Plus which would cover you up to 100 miles. It costs you if you don't do your research.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:12 PM

3,084 posts, read 1,547,097 times
I’ve has AAA for many many years. Few times Ive called, no problem. Last time I was leaving the hospital, visiting a friend, and the truck was dead. No sound when key turned. Cold winters day. Call AAA. They say they are very busy will be a couple hours. Almost 3 hrs go by, AAA comes and cant get the truck started. Then the guy calls another AAA responder, he comes after another hour and cant get the truck started. Where I live AAA now carries batteries etc but no offer to replace the battery. Finally they tow to myy mechanic which was 5 mi away. My mechanic says why didnt they replace the battery? I say Im not sure they knew it was the battery. I didnt have alot of confidence in the 2 guys that came.
And they do not tow horse trailers, empty or with a horse. Need a different roadside assistance co for that. Might be true for RVs and travel trailers too.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
AAA has always been good to me. I always spring for AAA Plus, with 200 mile towing. I just had to call them and give them my membership info, and as I recall if I didn't have that info, they could ask me other ways to verify who I was. I've used AAA numerous times over my life and have never had a bad experience.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:38 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Agree above.

For the original OP.

I always keep a Garmin in car. Can get a used one on ebay for $20 bucks. The Garmin will provide the GPS coordinates - to provide AAA IF you are in the middle of nowhere.

Plans to vary but never ever heard of 3 mile limit. There are also family plans that take down cost even more.

I have AAA PLUS that will tow me up to 100 miles. There are other plans. For more or less money.

So slamming AAA is a tad difficult to comprehend.

I have a Garmin in every vehicle. All with lifetime map updates and all USED.
I never heard of a Garmin, but I will look into buying one (or more). Thanks!

For the OP---don't knock AAA because YOU didn't know your policy!You must have taken out the basic package, for 3 miles of towing. We have the Premium Plus, or whatever its called, which gives us one 200 mile tow, and three tows up to 100 miles, along with the other roadside service, etc. You do get what you pay for, our membership, including our two kids, is over $200/year. I don't feel like digging out the policy and exact figures, etc right now. Look, you're paying for roadside assistance in case of car trouble, you want the best, not the cheapest!

BTW, every year, it pays for itself. Many years ago, my dh went to a job fair in Houston. We lived in Austin at the time. Just as he came out of the parking lot, he was t-boned, other driver sped off, DH car was not drive able. Triple A to the rescue. They towed him all the way home, all 189 miles!If not for that, well, that was our only decent car at the time and standard towing would have cost more than the membership
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive