Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 01:12 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times

Advertisements

Yeah, AAA is perfect and the daughter is an idiot.

What a lovely bunch you are.

I've been stuck with a flat where there is no address to give. Before cell phones and GPS. They flat refused to come to fix it. I called back and raised hell. Someone finally showed up. You need to remember that he people coming to do the tow aren't AAA they are contracted and some are less than savory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 01:17 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
So been paying for an AAA membership for the whole driving family and finally needed a tow from roadside assistance. What a pain in the arse. The kid was really upset that the car broke down and was nowhere she really knew - and she gets a damn computer menu. Then it kept badgering her for a zip code - seriously? She didn't even know the neighborhood she was in let alone the zip code. Finally with her phone battery slowly dying, she gets a live person who is asking a million account related questions till finally my daughter is like - wouldn't you like to know where I am incase my phone dies? And is trying to give her the coordinates from the street signs she is physically standing under - while the girl is telling her to hold so she can "pinpoint" it on the map for the tow truck driver. OMG - how infuriating. Then for the final - I'm never again paying AAA another penny moment - they tell her they only pay for the first 3 THREE miles of towing and charge $4.50 a mile after that. How many people break down THREE miles from their known service stations? Called me, I called roadside assistance from the insurance company and the tow truck was there within 15-20 minutes and THEY covered towing for the first 20 miles. And they were a hell of a lot cheaper then AAA. Lesson learned. And now shared.
You paid for a membership that was only good for 3 miles of towing. I once broke down in a neighboring state (Ohio) and had to be towed to Pittsburgh. My membership covered the first 100 miles of towing.

I've been a AAA member for close to 40 years. The service has been very good until the past year. They don't seem to have as many tow trucks as they used to and they have to send a truck from a different county. They are also not very accurate as far as estimating when a truck will arrive.

I think they might have to increase their payment to towing companies and their membership fees. I'm willing to give them another chance before I give up on them.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:22 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times
Don't get the cheapest AAA plan there is. It sucks. If someone is a heavy phone user they should keep a charging cable in their vehicle. My wife does and so do I. Several of my vehicles are no longer covered by the manufacturer road side service, so I got the AAA Premier plan. It provides 200 miles of towing and covers my travel trailer.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I've been stuck with a flat where there is no address to give. Before cell phones and GPS. They flat refused to come to fix it. I called back and raised hell. Someone finally showed up. You need to remember that he people coming to do the tow aren't AAA they are contracted and some are less than savory.
If you don't have an address, how can AAA or any roadside service find you? The burden of an address falls on the car driver.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:08 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I have AAA Premier (upgraded in the last few months), towing up to 200 miles, ++++. I have always been happy with them. I'm usually prepared for a lot of things, but there are just some things that can't be predicted. The last time I used it was when a fuel line blew as I was leaving work, they got a driver there quickly, kept me updated while I was waiting, and my truck was hauled to the shop of my choice about 30 miles away. After, they called to verify that I had been taken care of and to ask if I was happy with the service.

OP, your problem is that you failed to make yourself aware of the details of the plan you were buying, apparently making assumptions that weren't correct, and did not purchase a plan that would meet your needs. Your fault, not theirs.
I just looked. I have premier now. I remember having Plus but my wife must of gone yo Premier st some point. 200 mile tows. Trailer and motorcycle and RV

Old 06-17-2018, 02:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I also have premier, and just used it Friday for a tow of about 60 miles. I have never had any problems with them, other than having to wait as much as an hour, but that’s reasonable considering we are in a high traffic area. Sorry to hear of your poor experience, but I would consider it an anomaly, and result of buying their cheapest and least beneficial plan. We also have road service with our insurance company, but have to pay then get reimbursed.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:26 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,154 times
I had AAA for 30 years and used them a few times for towing and for locksmith service. I always had one of the top two plans they offer with 100 miles and 200 miles respectfully.
Something definitely seems off about the situation described by the OP. We cancelled our AAA earlier this year because our vehicle now is a GMC 3500 a one ton. and AAA does not cover it, nor do they tow RVs, you need separate coverage for those like Sam's Club or something similar.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:18 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If you don't have an address, how can AAA or any roadside service find you? The burden of an address falls on the car driver.
I gave them detailed directions to my location. Sorry, I should have put that in my post. I was two blocks off the Interstate on a major city street, but far enough from town that there were no buildings around. Middle of a snowstorm and the damn jack broke when I tried to raise the car. All they had to do was go to the interchange and look east.

We do still have AAA and their service seems to have improved since then.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I had AAA for 30 years and used them a few times for towing and for locksmith service. I always had one of the top two plans they offer with 100 miles and 200 miles respectfully.
Something definitely seems off about the situation described by the OP. We cancelled our AAA earlier this year because our vehicle now is a GMC 3500 a one ton. and AAA does not cover it, nor do they tow RVs, you need separate coverage for those like Sam's Club or something similar.
They towed my F350 dually...... and I have RV, motorcycle and trailer coverage too.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:44 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
So been paying for an AAA membership for the whole driving family and finally needed a tow from roadside assistance. What a pain in the arse. The kid was really upset that the car broke down and was nowhere she really knew - and she gets a damn computer menu. Then it kept badgering her for a zip code - seriously? She didn't even know the neighborhood she was in let alone the zip code. Finally with her phone battery slowly dying, she gets a live person who is asking a million account related questions till finally my daughter is like - wouldn't you like to know where I am incase my phone dies? And is trying to give her the coordinates from the street signs she is physically standing under - while the girl is telling her to hold so she can "pinpoint" it on the map for the tow truck driver. OMG - how infuriating. Then for the final - I'm never again paying AAA another penny moment - they tell her they only pay for the first 3 THREE miles of towing and charge $4.50 a mile after that. How many people break down THREE miles from their known service stations? Called me, I called roadside assistance from the insurance company and the tow truck was there within 15-20 minutes and THEY covered towing for the first 20 miles. And they were a hell of a lot cheaper then AAA. Lesson learned. And now shared.
Know your plans.

The basic AAA may vary per region. It's five miles for mine, maybe it's three for yours. I agree, there's no reason to have basic AAA if your insurance already includes better roadside assistance, and many comprehensive insurance plans do. But that's not AAA's fault. It's yours. I pay for top tier Premier mostly because of motorcycles. They're old. They sometimes break down. It's nice to have. It's a lot cheaper to cover two motorcycles (which aren't insured with AAA) with that than it would be to buy comprehensive coverage on old bikes that aren't worth much.

Get a car charger. They're a couple bucks. AAA isn't responsible for your kid's cell phone charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive