Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 03:38 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,239,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
3.1% higher? Did you not expect ANY variance from different vehicle types at all?
Reread the article...or see my earlier post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 04:31 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,231,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I have noticed an increase in what I call "defiant" pedestrians. My definition of a defiant pedestrian is one who proceeds to step off the curb to cross the street without even turning their head to either side. Often they are staring at their smart phone, but not always. Thankfully I am a conscientious driver and I have never hit one of these people. But if I was an idiot staring at my smart phone while driving, one of those people could easily be killed due to their own decision to not pay attention to cars.
I've noticed the exact same kind of behavior among pedestrians in recent years, too. Sometimes, they have their face buried in their phone, but often times not. It's like a lot of pedestrians are just "zoned out", or something.

As a motorist, I've found there are two scenarios I have to be especially careful of:

1. Pedestrians who use crosswalks at traffic lights, but ignore the walk signals. They'll cross in front of a vehicle right after the light turns green, or sometimes when a vehicle approaches a green light, the pedestrian crosses against the signal, figuring they can make it before the motorist gets to the intersection, or at least the motorist will see them and slow down to let them cross.

2. Pedestrians who jaywalk in the middle of the block where there is no crosswalk. You especially have to watch out for these at night, because for some reason, they seem to prefer dark clothing. And often at these crossing points, the street is dark, because there is no streetlight at that point, unlike an intersection.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:43 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyfl View Post
Did you know that I drug company can do 50 tests until they get the few results in their favor even if the majority of test did not produce favorable results? No one bothers to check the health and lifestyle of the study group either.
Not true. All studies have to be reported and study and control groups have to be comparable. Usually, people are randomly assigned to the study and control groups.

Quote:
I have noticed an increase in what I call "defiant" pedestrians. My definition of a defiant pedestrian is one who proceeds to step off the curb to cross the street without even turning their head to either side.
This has always been a pet peeve for me, too.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:36 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Oh very much so! That's the main problem, as mentioned on my previous post.

I apologize for missing your statement about blind spots! Blind spots vary from one vehicle to another. I did find this rear visibility rating for the 2017 small SUV's: https://www.cars.com/articles/which-...1420695173096/. It explains some of the problems with rear visibility.

But safety is more than just rear visibility. The driver's side front windshield post can be especially dangerous. If you are slowly approaching a city intersection and it is rainy and windy; you might not see a pedestrian walking towards that same intersection from the left. Large left corner windshield post can obscure people, children and pets approaching that same intersection under the right conditions and speed.

My wife loved the old Volkswagens and wanted a new one when they first came out in 1998 or 1999. However the driver's side windshield post was located in a very dangerous position and was far too wide. Plus we did not like the idea the motor was in the front instead of the air cooled rear motor. But the point I am trying to make is that when you take your test rides also evaluate the vehicles by whether or not you have visibility. That can vary depending on hour high you sit in the seat - what works for one person might not work for another.

One last point on pedestrian safety around SUV's: Most have rear, backup, cameras; but don't just rely on that camera. Sometimes the sun will hurt your view of the screen. It is also possible that you miss movement around the sides of the vehicle while concentrating on that screen. Always be prepared for the unexpected and thoroughly check all around. Drivers can avoid some problems by backing into parking spaces or pulling through so you can always pull out in a forward direction with better visibility. Also never back up more than the minimum needed to make your turn and pull out.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:05 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Whenever I drive my SUV, I have to be extra careful because of the stopping distance and bigger car makes it more difficult to see blind spots. I often rely on rotating the car around the corner instead of using the brakes late like some folks I see. Late braking with SUV is very dangerous and that's how people die when driver can't stop in time.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:12 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,156,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
As herds of rougue SUV's take to the streets, eager to pounce on unsuspecting pedestrians.....

Especially idiots walking around with their face and wits buried in the new "blue screen of death"
That fershur. Add "idiots driving around with their face and wits buried in blue screen of death" and you have a perfect storm of absent walkers and absent vehicle-aimers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Net increase in numbers SUVs 37% (per the article) 3% increase in death by SUV. This means SUV increase 37% and only 3% increase in death by SUVs has actually meant the people moving to SUVs is lowering the number of death by SUVs overall.

This article brings to mind the old saying, Figures don't lie,but liars figure.
No, it's the SUVs' fault!

How many headlines have we seen, "SUV goes off road, kills 14 children at birthday party!" etc. Yes, SUVs are very, very dangerous. Sell yours, NOW!

Old 07-03-2018, 12:49 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
A very tragic incident occurred the other day here in New York where a 4 year old girl was fatally run over by an SUV. Now there are more factors than the SUV, such as the negligence of the drive and the dangerous parking lot design, however I bet she would have been less likely to die if the drive had a sedan instead.

I really don't get why people drive SUVs, I don't find them to be practical and they burn more gas.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:02 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Still No Charges For Driver Who Fatally Ran Over 4-Year-Old Girl On Brooklyn Sidewalk: Gothamist

I feel so bad for the girl and her family.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:31 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Quote:
I have noticed an increase in what I call "defiant" pedestrians. My definition of a defiant pedestrian is one who proceeds to step off the curb to cross the street without even turning their head to either side. Often they are staring at their smart phone, but not always. Thankfully I am a conscientious driver and I have never hit one of these people. But if I was an idiot staring at my smart phone while driving, one of those people could easily be killed due to their own decision to not pay attention to cars.
Some people will also walk out in front you on purpose, almost like they dare you to hit them. It’s easy to spot these types because they walk as slow as they possibly can.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:51 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Some people will also walk out in front you on purpose, almost like they dare you to hit them. It’s easy to spot these types because they walk as slow as they possibly can.

We have one little town with a busy road through that town close to my house. They always have many signs in the road that it is a State law to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk. Of course only a very few use the crosswalk; but all pedestrians seem to think the entire road is theirs. Yes; I get angry at the slow walkers that do not even look in my direction with their earphones on. But, I think, the ones that cannot make up their minds are worse.

But these crosswalk unsafe conditions are for all vehicles and not just SUVs. When I drove truck I noticed many SUVs and 4-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles that would take unnecessary chances on icy Interstate roads. That would usually make them the first casualties. But that would not explain higher pedestrian fatalities (unless they also drove too fast on slippery conditions in the cities).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive