Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2023, 12:07 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times

Advertisements

Here in L.A. if you don't do 80 you'd better have a ramp on the back of your car. It's so seldom that the freeways are open, we just go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 02:49 PM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
While on the interstate I typically am driving 10-15mph over the limit - that's what cops will typically let you get away with, and isn't too dangerous. People here asserting that cops want you speeding or that you even have some obligation to be speeding - that's just made-up, self-serving nonsense. There is nothing wrong with driving the speed limit, no matter what some people might say here.

I will say though, that as a practical matter, if you're one of the slower cars on the interstate, you should keep right. The rules of the road do say that, and it will be safer for all if you do. If you try to drive significantly slower than the flow of traffic in the center lane (or even the left lane), you're going to have people aggressively passing you on the right or on both sides - now, they're actually supposed to drive defensively, not offensively, but the reality is, that it's not rare that people drive like idiots, so you'd best protect yourself and drive in the rightmost lane if you're slower than the herd.

Old 02-20-2023, 03:34 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
While on the interstate I typically am driving 10-15mph over the limit - that's what cops will typically let you get away with, and isn't too dangerous. People here asserting that cops want you speeding or that you even have some obligation to be speeding - that's just made-up, self-serving nonsense. There is nothing wrong with driving the speed limit, no matter what some people might say here.

I will say though, that as a practical matter, if you're one of the slower cars on the interstate, you should keep right. The rules of the road do say that, and it will be safer for all if you do. If you try to drive significantly slower than the flow of traffic in the center lane (or even the left lane), you're going to have people aggressively passing you on the right or on both sides - now, they're actually supposed to drive defensively, not offensively, but the reality is, that it's not rare that people drive like idiots, so you'd best protect yourself and drive in the rightmost lane if you're slower than the herd.
Actually there is something wrong with it. It's called impeding traffic. By your own admission cops expect you to be driving 10 - 15 mph over the speed limit. So if you are driving the speed limit, you are driving slower than is expected of you. That is impeding traffic.

Old 02-20-2023, 04:45 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
I am sure I bug people to no end when I brake from 45 down to 30 when I come into town. I mean, why? There is no speed limit sign there......on that side of the road. On the other side of the road, it clearly says 30. Of course, on that other side of the road, people are often on my bumper when I have not yet reached the 45 zone. But it is not like they shouldn't know because that road is the only one in and out, it is not like, for most people, it is their first time there.

In any event, two things. First, I obey the law. Second, this is wilderness territory and there are plenty of deer and other wildlife out here. Having had one deer strike, certainly don't want another (damn, that was expensive even with insurance) and I will drive for the conditions, day and night, in case one of the creatures of the forest run out infront of me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
WEll, neither do I, however, if it were just a few I'd dismiss the issue, but we all have discussed it....and do not know why in the world people stop so far back from the car in front of them....my son and soon to be son in law are both officers and they can't figure it out either?
In case they are rear ended?

I was the lead car in a 3 car collision at a stop light. The rear most car slammed into the middle car who then slammed into me. A once in (whatever) chance one might say, but having it happened to one, once bitten twice shy.

I may not do it sitting in traffic.......but I do practice generous stand off distances at railroad crossings.

Old 02-20-2023, 05:46 AM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Actually there is something wrong with it. It's called impeding traffic. By your own admission cops expect you to be driving 10 - 15 mph over the speed limit. So if you are driving the speed limit, you are driving slower than is expected of you. That is impeding traffic.
No. Cops don't place an expectation on drivers that they drive at least 10-15mph over the limit, they allow them to get away with that much. *You* place an expectation on drivers that they drive at least 10-15mph over the limit.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:04 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
In any event, two things. First, I obey the law. Second, this is wilderness territory and there are plenty of deer and other wildlife out here. Having had one deer strike, certainly don't want another (damn, that was expensive even with insurance) and I will drive for the conditions, day and night, in case one of the creatures of the forest run out infront of me.In case they are rear ended?
Did you file a claim against the deer's insurance policy?

Seriously, your intentions are good. However when you do something that startles other drivers it can cause alarm or an accident. That is the reason for signaling laws. If you slow from 45 to 20 where there is no sign (even if one is missing), other motorists don't expect it. Perhaps put on your four-way flashers or tap on your breaks as a warming?

Old 02-20-2023, 06:09 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
A problem with driving only in the right lane is what will people do who are trying to enter the highway or those slowing down to exit? There are no perfect answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Did you file a claim against the deer's insurance policy?

Seriously, your intentions are good. However when you do something that startles other drivers it can cause alarm or an accident. That is the reason for signaling laws. If you slow from 45 to 20 where there is no sign (even if one is missing), other motorists don't expect it. Perhaps put on your four-way flashers or tap on your breaks as a warming?
And I do, go into braking early........still pi**es them off.

As far as the deer goes, he was a hit and run.....ended up up the far side of the road. As things go, a few weeks ago, driving out in the morning, another deer, a buck, ran right infront of me, we were eye to eye on the side before he went off in the brush. I was already 5-10 below the speed limit, once seen in a day, twice shy (if you see one, there are bound to be others) and stopped dead in the road for a few seconds. Fortunately, there was no one behind me either close or approaching but now that I think of it............

........................there's another reason why to take it slow on country roads. You never know what will be in your lap on the next bend. And, actually, I do take it very slow during school bus hours for you can go around a narrow bend and suddenly have a bus there, atop of you.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-20-2023 at 06:47 AM..

Old 02-20-2023, 06:28 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Why would say that? If its due to cars being built differently today, well, that doesnt matter, the 55 mph speed limit is more for the human error part, they felt 55 was the fastest speed most drivers could handle, it doesnt matter if they are in a ferrari or a focus, speed is speed.
I got my DL when I was 16 (in the 1970s).

IIRC, a bigger reason than the safety angle was consuming less gasoline.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Just get the **** out if the way you slowpoke. I own 3 cars that can do well over 150 mph. I didn't buy these cars to drive 55 MPH.
Then you should move to Germany or rural Montana.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Drive how you want except please for safety STAY IN THE RIGHT LANE.
I agree.

Though one time not to is if a split is coming up and you need to be in a left side lane (closer to the center) to be able to continue to go in the direction/follow the route you want to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive