Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 02:46 AM

188 posts, read 663,046 times

Advertisements

Wow, I guess I am in good shape, as is my hubby. I'm 50 and he's 60 and both our cars are manual. I drive hundreds of miles without issue.. I could see 80+, maybe, but 50's being too old?

I haven't had an automatic since I was 18 unless you count rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 04:17 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,442,775 times
People in Europe and elsewhere would be wondering what all the fuss is about as the majority of cars are manual. That said autos have increased in popularity over recent decades and for stop start traffic it's far preferable.

But certainly in Europe pretty much everyone took their test in a manual and know how to drive one.

Only the OP can really answer about his own knees. Hire one for a month and see?

Old 08-17-2018, 06:13 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,542 times
My two cents.

Get the vehicle you want to drive. As long as the vehicle gets you from point A to Point B, a manual and an automatic work just the same.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
My two cents.

Get the vehicle you want to drive. As long as the vehicle gets you from point A to Point B, a manual and an automatic work just the same.
Lots of reasons more important than WANT in that equation.
  1. Duty / expectations
  2. Terrain
  3. Availability
  4. Employee drivers? (high importance)
  5. Available power
  6. Available options (some models do not offer both manual and auto)
  7. Resale
  8. Other users (within family)
  9. Expected service life
  10. Repair options (rebuilding an auto tranny, or swapping out a manual)
    more...(economy, preference, ability...)

Old 08-17-2018, 08:29 AM

8,343 posts, read 6,435,284 times
Todays small engines do a lot better with a manual. I have 3 old Honda's all are stick shift. At this time and I'm old, I'll never buy a auto.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:53 PM

133 posts, read 175,459 times
Well, I finally found a manual VW Alltrack in my area to test. I really liked the car but same issue next day, substantial pain. So that took care of that.

I am a station wagon owner, hence the Alltrack. I'm now on the hunt for a Volvo XC70. It will have to be used as they discontinued them in 2016.

p.s. I agree with the poster that said time to address exercise.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:11 AM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimMoeDee View Post
Well, I finally found a manual VW Alltrack in my area to test. I really liked the car but same issue next day, substantial pain. So that took care of that.

I am a station wagon owner, hence the Alltrack. I'm now on the hunt for a Volvo XC70. It will have to be used as they discontinued them in 2016.

p.s. I agree with the poster that said time to address exercise.
If you haven't driven a manual for years, you may well be sore simply because you haven't been doing that particular motion over and over and over again. The angles of seat, clutch pedal pressure, how often you hover over the clutch, the distance to reach to engage the clutch is going to be slightly different for different cars. I've driven manuals most of my life and have fairly significant arthritis in my knees. In my own car (bought it new 20 years ago) I don't notice any discomfort at 64. When I happen to drive one I'm not used to I feel it if I drive it for an hour or so. The way I look at it at least I'm physically driving and keeping those muscles active instead of sitting there doing little to nothing. Maybe that little bit helps to keep my arthritis from progressing as fast. But maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Old 07-26-2019, 05:15 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,347,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
If you get stuck in traffic very often, I would avoid the car because it will kill your knee.
I love stick shifts, but this is the one major drawback. If you are in heavy traffic, you have to shift - a lot.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:32 AM

3,105 posts, read 2,006,959 times
The OP has probably already decided, but to continue the thread, I learned to drive with a stick & my 1st 3-4 cars were sticks, cuz it was familiar.

But, I was a 20-something & having constant neck/shoulder/elbow pain. I got my 1st automatic (a used Geo Metro for $2,500), but it didn't have power steering/brakes & that same pain continued (it was like driving a truck for me, that bloody steering wheel) & hip/low back pain began as I had to press so hard... I also only drove in big city traffic. That car lasted 17-yrs... so did the pain... sometimes better, sometimes worse.

Once I got a Honda CRV, I'd never return to a stick or non-power steering/brakes, even for a good deal. All the pain disappeared, but it's also so much easier to drive. I like being able to take a sip of coffee/water & not worry about shifting timing. Again, I've always done inner city driving, so the bumper to bumper, 3+ hrs in traffic daily isn't ever fun... less so with the aforementioned models.

I guess I'd advise... if you have to ask if the pain will worsen, it could be an issue & what if it does eventually become a bother? You'd have to sell the car & in most cases, take a loss.

If your budget will allow, could you rent a stick from time to time for fun? Or, better yet, rent a stick for a month & see how your knee fairs.

Whatever you do, good luck with the new vehicle.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:23 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Not sure if anyone has brought this up but you can get the Golf R with the DGS transmission.

I drive a MK 4 Golf with a manual and I’m 51 it doesn’t bother me. Then I di a lot of hiking and at work I’m on my feet all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive