Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 03:28 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,250,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
No, both the Alltrack and the Sportwagen can also bought with either a 6-speed manual or a 5-speed manual, respectively.

However, you are correct that the Alltrack (in SEL trim) only comes with the DSG transmission, which in my opinion, is superior to the manual.
I was wrong; you are right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 05:25 PM

876 posts, read 814,130 times
First car - Manual
Second Car - Auto
Third car-Manual
Fourth (truck) - Manual
Fifth - Auto
Sixth - Manual

I stand corrected, 2/3 of my vehicles were manuals. It's not that I think they are inherently better, it's more that I'm in the lower end of the car market. Vehicles with DSG are not going to be the cheapest.

Even though the CVT will usually out accelerate a manual while being more efficient, I chose a manual because of lower initial cost and my perception of CVTs. I just think of them as running on rubber bands and spindles.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:04 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,614,838 times
I would avoid......you never know how long your creaky-response to a manual will last!

Old 08-06-2018, 10:37 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times
OP, we're not the ones you should be asking. Go to your doc and get an X-ray of that knee. Then ask your doctor what he thinks about manual vs. auto for you.

I don't believe those on this thread who have said knee pain is usually muscular. My doc told me a few decades back that EVERYONE past 50 has some arthritis, that it just depends on how much they have. (Luckily, I don't have too much yet at 72).

I've found that as I age, I have more and more little physical problems, and those problems take longer and longer to heal. I'm currently recovering from a rotator cuff that I tore back in February. It still hurts, but for the first couple months after the injury it would have been a real chore to shift my old F250.

I've owned more sticks than automatics over my lifetime, including my last F250, which I bought new in 2000 (when I was 55) and drove until 2014. I really liked the manual transmission, not so much for upshifting as for downshifting on steep mountain trails when carrying a heavy load to keep the brakes cool. (I had overheated the brakes on my previous '89 F250 w/AT, and it was pure luck that I was able to find a spot where I could pull off the trail and turn uphill to stop.)

But I'd decided shortly after buying my 2000 that the next truck was going to be an automatic... when I discovered that their max towing loads were higher than with my 6-speed stick. We're currently an all-automatic family now, for the first time in nearly 50 years. Age is a part of that, improved automatic transmissions is the other part.

Good luck with whichever way you go.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:53 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
You know, I had problems with my left knee for years. Lately, it hasn't been bothering me. I wonder if it has to do with switching from manual to automatic after 25 years.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:57 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
While this specific thread is about the problems in owning a manual transmission car, some have tossed around the idea that transmissions of today are so much better at anticipating the driving conditions that the car can change gears faster, more economically, and more efficient than the driver can.

Someone mentioned the different kind of transmissions now offered for the modern car. How these newer transmissions can increase the speed of driving, if you are so inclined.

What the new transmissions miss though is the fact that people like me want to be a part of the driving experience. Shifting, as archaic as it has become is fun for me. I love to be a part of the experience.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:08 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
You know, I had problems with my left knee for years. Lately, it hasn't been bothering me. I wonder if it has to do with switching from manual to automatic after 25 years.
I had surgery on my left knee about 15 years ago. Very creaky if I get up from a squat, but I still drive stick. Cable-actuated clutch too.

Of course who knows what my knee will be like in 20 years. I should really look into a hydraulic clutch conversion for that car. Might extend my ability to drive it.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:57 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
While this specific thread is about the problems in owning a manual transmission car, some have tossed around the idea that transmissions of today are so much better at anticipating the driving conditions that the car can change gears faster, more economically, and more efficient than the driver can.

Someone mentioned the different kind of transmissions now offered for the modern car. How these newer transmissions can increase the speed of driving, if you are so inclined.

What the new transmissions miss though is the fact that people like me want to be a part of the driving experience. Shifting, as archaic as it has become is fun for me. I love to be a part of the experience.
Working the clutch, shifter, and gas pedal together is indeed an integral part of the fun. The so-called manual modes of automatic transmissions offer more driver control than regular automatics, but they are, basically, yet more pushbuttons—without the visceral feedback you get operating real manuals. I consider them a concession only, to be chosen only because a manual transmission is not offered.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:15 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I had a manual on my Cabrio convertible. It was fun MOST of the time, but during that time I used to go back and forth to my daughters thru city traffic, and that was not at all fun.
I would say, for everyday around town driving, a manual is fine, but if you have much stop and start traffic driving, don’t do it.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:21 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimMoeDee View Post
I

I
Questions:

1) Will the knee issue go away after a little while?
2) Would you buy a manual car at 58?
1. Probably not (been there). Surgery or PT can help. So can Advil. It is likely arthritis or meniscus or both. You could get a knee replacement and it might go away.

2. Yes. Normally I would not have anything else. However I am now driving a BAT and manual would be unpleasant in that. One day I will fix the JH and or get something smaller and manual. Whats a little pain in exchange for having so much fun?

Finding a manual is not easy. My son wanted one and went to talk to various dealers about leasing. Most told him to go to VW. "VW is the king of MT" However VW only offers MT in higher end vehicles which are wildly overpriced IMO. Best bet, get an older car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive