Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 02:36 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,149 times

Advertisements

instead of renting im thinking of buying a house thats selling for 90k in westmoreland aka trafford,pa. border of allengheney county and comuting into U of pitt. mortgage be roughly to what i would pay in rent, but it would be mine.

My goal is to live in pgh, or atleast in the suburbs. commute into the city is nothing to what i deal in nova aka northern va so im ok with that.
So am i crazy for thinking of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 05:15 AM

62 posts, read 142,335 times
I don't about crazy, but have you also considered the cost of maintenance, insurance, utilities, etc.? Mortgage is only part of owning a home...

Also, I'm not that familiar with what you can get for $90k... can really get a house that is livable and not a money dump at that price?

Old 05-31-2013, 05:27 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
My son bought a house in Coraopolis (because it was WAY cheaper than renting a two bedroom apartment) for less than that three years ago. It was wonderfully maintained and he had not had to replace anything since owning it.
Definitely NOT a money dump.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:37 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
I know that area very well and good homes are available at that price. Not exactly a quick commute to Downtown Pgh, the 67F Pat Bus runs frequently, or used to. A couple dive bars in the town with cheap beer, if you're on a budget. Just remember to add in all the time you'll spend maintaining and the gear you'll have to buy, lawnmower, ladder, you name it.
Have fun.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:47 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Just remember to add in all the time you'll spend maintaining and the gear you'll have to buy, lawnmower, ladder, you name it.
This.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:33 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
instead of renting im thinking of buying a house thats selling for 90k in westmoreland aka trafford,pa. border of allengheney county and comuting into U of pitt. mortgage be roughly to what i would pay in rent, but it would be mine.

My goal is to live in pgh, or atleast in the suburbs. commute into the city is nothing to what i deal in nova aka northern va so im ok with that.
So am i crazy for thinking of it?
No that's a great price for a home and the area is pretty good. As the others said there are a lot more mantainace costs for owning a home but if you are up for the challenge go for it! Good luck!

Old 05-31-2013, 06:51 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,304 times
Only you can decide whether it makes sense, financially. But there was a family in my hometown that bought a house in State College, PA because they had 5 kids. They housed their kids there and also rented to other students. They said it was an all-around better deal on a monthly-cost basis, and it even helped the kids get better financial aid packages. Unless you are planning to live in Pittsburgh for years, look to see what you can get for less than $90k, though.

Did you try placing your own Craigslist ad? I did that and it shook out some grad students who wanted housemates and a few landlords who wanted to screen their tenants. One landlord had a house and one grad student tenant moving in from out of state, but he was trying to help that tenant find a suitable adult housemate. None of those places ever worked out for me b/c I had pets, too much furniture, and too many vehicles and I needed more space than they offered, lol.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:52 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojan View Post

Also, I'm not that familiar with what you can get for $90k... can really get a house that is livable and not a money dump at that price?
You can get one for much less.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:54 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
And keep in mind that if you're moving to Pittsburgh to go to grad school, you might be so engrossed in your work that you might not have a lot of extra time to be messing around with home maintenance.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:09 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojan View Post
I don't about crazy, but have you also considered the cost of maintenance, insurance, utilities, etc.? Mortgage is only part of owning a home...
And property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh