Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2018, 03:56 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,432,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
The ELR was a Volt with Caddy clothing and a $75k price tag. EVERYONE said it would fail at that price. At $50k (or about $10-15k more than a Volt) it would have been a hit. The local Caddy dealership that had them sold every on they got in when they dropped the price to $55-60k.

They also had crap lease deals on them.
The ELR was a beautiful looking car better looking than the Volt you’re right the Volt and the ELR are made at GM Hamtramck Michigan assembly plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 04:08 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,441,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The ELR is an incredibly cool car. The problem was GM did not care whether they sold or not and they were basically a $70,000 Volt. I've been tempted to get a used one but unfortunately my situation does not work with what is basically a two seat car. They are a heck of a buy now for around 25K used.

I am seeing more and more Bolt's. Half the money, more practical and 240 mile range. GM still does not try and sell them. You have to sell yourself.
Especially the Saks 5th Avenue Edition

Old 08-31-2018, 04:19 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,441,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
The ELR was a Volt with Caddy clothing and a $75k price tag. EVERYONE said it would fail at that price. At $50k (or about $10-15k more than a Volt) it would have been a hit. The local Caddy dealership that had them sold every on they got in when they dropped the price to $55-60k.

They also had crap lease deals on them.
This just shows that EV drivers are more skeptical, practical, and demanding than your typical ICE-powered vehicle owner. Bumper-to-bumper, the appointments, interior, fit and finish are worth of the Cadillac name. The only identical system is the power train. Seeing the same 4 cylinder range extender and orange cables under the hood is what convinces us the upgrade is in fact not worth $40,000, but $20,000.

Consumers have no problem with the same 5.3L and 6.2L engines being used in the Suburban, Yukon, and Escalade. There is a $50,000 price difference between the base model Suburban and top trim level Escalade, yet neither has trouble selling.

I think absent SUVs, Pickups, and special edition pony cars, the Big 3 have trouble commanding top dollar for other vehicles including luxury coupes and sedans. Cadillacs and Lincolns have been displaced with German cars as status cars.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:26 PM

17,605 posts, read 13,388,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
thought John-UK would enjoy this update....

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/u...--finance.html

"Bill Wehrum, assistant administration of the EPA's Office of Air and Radiation, spoke dismissively of electric cars — a young industry supported financially by the federal government and many states — this month in a call with reporters announcing the mileage freeze proposal.

"People just don't want to buy them," the EPA official said."
I sure don't want one!!!!! I will never spend our money on one

Let's see an electric POS work out on a 4K road trip

I want a gasoline powered vehicle!

Old 08-31-2018, 04:35 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,727,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

And again we have someone who simply does not understand the reason for having an EV.

Why is it so difficult for some to figure out the proper use of one?

Old 08-31-2018, 08:31 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,948,123 times
I don’t see the aversion to battery power...no man cards are pulled from driving a battery powered vehicle and you don’t suddenly become a granola munching hippie.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:42 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,272,644 times
Quote:

Plenty of Tesla's do it.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I don’t see the aversion to battery power...no man cards are pulled from driving a battery powered vehicle and you don’t suddenly become a granola munching hippie.
I love the technology as already noted. I also have a 56 Pontiac Street/drag car. Dual Quad 389.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:25 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,852,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Body hair does fall out, except facial hair which grows more robustly. This applies to all genders.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:51 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,096,664 times
Quote:

You could rent on the few occasions that you need to take a 4000 mile road trip, OR have, I dunno, two cars like most households do, and use one for commuting and the other for other uses.

My Volt can drive across the country with the gas generator running or commute and run errands entirely on electric power dirt cheap. I'd love for you to tell my why it's a POS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive