Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 12:14 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post

For me, I wear Kelly or Cooper, because of the perception that both the familiar brand name and the locally-owned retailer have an incentive to stand behind their product.
Saw one Cooper tire that ws made in Serbia! There was a time when non-American made tires were unheard of.You really don't know what you are getting. I doubt the tire guy knows that either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 12:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
Based on my experience...

Good, but expensive - Michelin, Yokohama

Good. but OEM worn out 25-35K - Goodyear Eagle, Nexen

Just OK - Cooper, Continental

Good and cheap - Doesn't exist.

Not good and rather expensive - Dunlop, Pirelli

Terrible - Kenda
And... you can buy most of these from Walmart or Discount tire on-line.
I just got a killer deal on Yokohamas < 1/2 price retail. (Via Walmart online) Had them in 3 days.
They had the Pirelli's cheap too.

(Getting MORE that your paying for)

Old 03-26-2021, 03:21 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,262,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Decent AND cheap?

Pick one.
Y'all keep saying that.
I want my much better than decent cheap tires to stay cheap!

Old 03-30-2021, 08:28 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,287,155 times
Tires are something that I'm not going to go cheap on. I'm on BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sports right now, which are very confidence inspiring. Definitely a harder tire, so you feel more of the road, but the tires wear even and the mileage can get north of 50,000 miles. We had historical temps, along with snow in my region recently, and the tires held up very well. These tires are close to $200/tire with tax and mounting fees. I have had these tires on a 2009 Honda Accord coupe and 2009 Mazda 6.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:31 PM

451 posts, read 457,794 times
I've had a very good experience with GT Radials. They're made by Giti in South Carolina.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:45 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,463,474 times
Unsure if this falls in line with topic, yet no matter the brand. I find the following:
65k tread : I get 40k before needing replaced.
If tread is 40k, I get 25k.
Yes I rotate , check air, alignments when needed. Yet the tires do not ever meet the manufacturers advertising.
Yes these are top brand and even mentioned by a few on board. Just frustrating to not get the milage I'd like particularly with the cost guiding the tread wear.

Old 04-06-2021, 06:45 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
Tires go out of style long before the promised mileage. Alignment, under inflation and a host of other factors kill the tire first.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:19 AM

6,463 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Unsure if this falls in line with topic, yet no matter the brand. I find the following:
65k tread : I get 40k before needing replaced.
If tread is 40k, I get 25k.
Yes I rotate , check air, alignments when needed. Yet the tires do not ever meet the manufacturers advertising.
Yes these are top brand and even mentioned by a few on board. Just frustrating to not get the mileage I'd like particularly with the cost guiding the tread wear.
Tire mileage numbers are only estimates. And as far as I know, these "estimates" are derived by spinning the tire against a rotating drum, simulating driving, and measuring the wear. This constant state "driving" does not take into consideration things like coarse pavement, high heat, low inflation, fast acceleration, hard braking, or poor wheel alignment....all things that a tire sees, during "normal" operation.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:47 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,656,346 times
Stop by some tire stores, especially maybe smaller ones. Sometimes they have good tires discounted deeply if they only have two or three left of some model thats been discontinued. I have also fudged bit on width or profile if they will fit without scraping fender or whatever. Really best if tire match on same axle.

I would stay away from Walmart tires, never had good luck with tires there. Tires made in Japan, like Yokohama are good but shop around on price. Chinese can be ok or not. I would take Chinese "weird brands" over Walmart. Kumho (Korean) tend to be good buy. They make both high end and low end. Cheap tires of any brand can be expected to wear out faster.

No super cheap tire is going to make your Vette corner like you want. Probably going to be noisy. Junk yard tires, if off late model wreck might be ok. I will tell you though I once bought new set tires at auction, yea they had never been mounted Got them mounted, one blew out within ten miles. Apparently some dry rot. Used tires are bit of a crapshoot so dont pay a bundle for such.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:27 AM

6,463 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
..... Used tires are bit of a crapshoot so don't pay a bundle for such.
I agree. You NEVER know their history......like internal damage from curbs and pot holes, for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive