Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 04:30 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,236,397 times

Advertisements

In my experience Kumho tires do not last that long and are dangerous in the snow. If you plan on keeping the car for the long term just get a better brand. It doesn't need to be Michelin's though, though Michelins are pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 09:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
In my experience Kumho tires do not last that long and are dangerous in the snow. If you plan on keeping the car for the long term just get a better brand. It doesn't need to be Michelin's though, though Michelins are pretty good.
YMMV,

I use a set of 12 YO Kumhos on a collector car. (~2000 mi / yr). Lots of ice / lots of snow... they LAST and Last. Cost me $25 for the used set (including Alloy wheels). They are REALLY good handling tires on wet roads (I drive switchbacks and 12% grade daily) 240+ days rain / yr.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:02 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,190,019 times
My Kumhos last about as long as anything else, and cost half as much. That's a win, in my book.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:21 PM

628 posts, read 841,247 times
Coopers are good tires and they are made in the US and are inexpensive and i have had no issues with them and had them on a car for over 300k miles once

Old 03-12-2021, 05:11 AM

1 posts, read 495 times
There are many brands that offer high-quality tires at a reasonable price. These tires don't affect your budget much. You just need to determine which type of tires are compatible with your car. Large tire retailers have their own websites to provide services at your doorstep like PitStopArabia.

There are no bad tires, of course, some tires are better than the others. They are durable and reliable but can’t be judged by their price tag. Some brands that offer quality tires at very low prices are:

Zeetex
Maxis
RoadStone

Zeetex Tires
Zeetex tires are very good mid-range tires. They have all types of tires be it winter, summer, or all-season. High-performance tires, good traction, and grip on the road. These tires have a unique tread pattern that offers you an amazing driving experience.

Maxxis Tires:
Maxxis tires are budget tires. They have a vast range of tire series distributed worldwide. Their specialty is in making all-terrain tires. Delivery of high-quality products at a very low price is their motto.

RoadStone:
It is one of the reliable tire brands in the industry. RoadStone is a budget brand that offers a great number of tires at a very low cost. These tires have a firm road grip, amazing traction. They come in all sizes for cars, trucks, SUVs, and many more.

Old 03-12-2021, 05:35 AM

6,463 posts, read 3,157,496 times
My "lower cost, go to tires" have been Falkens. I've had a couple sets of them, over the last 10-12 years, and have been satisfied with them.

Old 03-12-2021, 02:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Lowest cost I found today for new... was Goodyear via Walmart.

I usually buy at junk yard for $5 / tire. They have a huge area ~ 30 parking stall full of tires, you can get 'used, like new' in pairs and sets. (or single tires) I have my own Coats tire machine and balancer (~$200 on CL)

Buying a quality tire with proper date codes can work in a pinch, and might be better than a 'discount' brand, but assume many brands are built out of the same mold (in China or Korea), just different rubber compounds and reinforcement.

Old 03-12-2021, 03:26 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,260,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Kumho is a very affordable underrated tire. I’ve had 2 sets and both performed above and beyond.
Kumho used to be affordable. I had several sets years ago.
Then they got discovered. Not so affordable anymore.

Now my go-to is Vercelli.
Very inexpensive (well under $100), great rain/snow traction, quiet, nice riding.
Both my Cadillac XTS (with 20" wheels) and my Chevy Cruze are shod with them.

We had some horrible winter weather here, got through it no problem.

Don't tell anybody... I want 'em to stay cheap!!

Old 03-16-2021, 09:34 AM

6,354 posts, read 2,903,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I'd try to stay away from Chinese tires, but that can be difficult at times. Many of the major tire companies include a few made in China. They may be fine on cars driven conservatively, but trucks and (especially) trailers carrying heavy loads at highway speeds often have blow-out problems with the "China Bombs." I bought a new 5th wheel camper a decade ago with Goodyears. After a blow-out in the first 500 miles I discovered they were imported from China. I traded all of them for better tires the same day..
This. I had a Chinese tire explode on me about 5 years ago after driving only 100 miles. Definitely STAY AWAY FROM CHINESE TIRES.Mine were Hifly brand.

I had some decent Dean Alpha tires about 15 years ago. Those are a cheap Cooper brand and I'm sure they are made in China now.

I had Michelin Defenders before the pandemic. I got 70,000 out of them and they were good in snow and rain. One problem was my Elantra - if I didn't rotate the tires every 5,000 miles the rear would get choppy.

Last edited by mascoma; 03-16-2021 at 09:52 AM..

Old 03-16-2021, 04:28 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Decent AND cheap?

Pick one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive