Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 10:21 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36_Chambers View Post
Do you guys frequently cut people off and drive wrecklessly? There seems to be a lot of support for dangerous driving.

How do you not seem to grasp that you are *INITIATING* road rage. That it Starts with your decision to honk.

And no, I don't drive recklessly or cut people off (intentionally at least, I drive a cargo van with blind spots the size of the moon). I also don't go so wound up that when someone zooms past me on the right and cuts across 3 lanes without signal, that I bother with the horn. That person isn't going to change their actions (for the better) just because someone beeped at them. They can, and will, change for the Worse though.

Maybe you need to try riding a motorcycle for a few years, get some Real perspective on the issue. While they may be legally wrong, they can Absolutely make you suffer physically and monetarily. Motorcyclists have a saying... "He was right, dead right", which is to mean that the rider was perfectly legal, but that didn't stop them from being killed.

You're not likely to be killed, but hit someone from behind (they downshift, parking brake, whatever) and its your word against theirs... you'll almost Certainly be hit with a "failure to control vehicle" citation and have the insurance hit to fix both vehicles. Is honking a horn at someone worth that? Right and Wrong don't have anything to do with this issue, it's 100% how You handle it. Sad to say, but based on your replies here, you don't handle things very well when they aren't like you want them.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:30 AM

39 posts, read 25,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
You think people who are weaving in and out of traffic from lane to lane constantly cutting people off have no clue what they are doing is unsafe?
Why would they knowingly put innocent lives at risk?

Old 09-28-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You asked a question about road rage. But you seem to be the one filled with road rage.

Take a chill pill.
What part of my statement leads you to believe that?

Old 09-28-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
How do you not seem to grasp that you are *INITIATING* road rage. That it Starts with your decision to honk.

And no, I don't drive recklessly or cut people off (intentionally at least, I drive a cargo van with blind spots the size of the moon). I also don't go so wound up that when someone zooms past me on the right and cuts across 3 lanes without signal, that I bother with the horn. That person isn't going to change their actions (for the better) just because someone beeped at them. They can, and will, change for the Worse though.

Maybe you need to try riding a motorcycle for a few years, get some Real perspective on the issue. While they may be legally wrong, they can Absolutely make you suffer physically and monetarily. Motorcyclists have a saying... "He was right, dead right", which is to mean that the rider was perfectly legal, but that didn't stop them from being killed.

You're not likely to be killed, but hit someone from behind (they downshift, parking brake, whatever) and its your word against theirs... you'll almost Certainly be hit with a "failure to control vehicle" citation and have the insurance hit to fix both vehicles. Is honking a horn at someone worth that? Right and Wrong don't have anything to do with this issue, it's 100% how You handle it. Sad to say, but based on your replies here, you don't handle things very well when they aren't like you want them.
So the person putting lives at risk with careless behavior isn't the one initiating? The person tapping their horn in response is?

Old 09-28-2018, 10:36 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
Question on road rage...

When I get cut off in traffic which happens often, I'll usually hit the horn. Drivers respond by giving the finger. Why are people reacting this way when they're the ones who have done something wrong? Are they unable to accept fault in their actions and instead react in an apologetic way? I don't see how someone can respond with such aggression when they are the ones at fault. Thoughts?
Pretty much human nature for jerks. Many people "attack" when challenged. Doesn't matter that they are wrong and know it.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Pretty much human nature for jerks. Many people "attack" when challenged. Doesn't matter that they are wrong and know it.
I sort of suspected that. Thank you.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:03 AM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
I wouldn’t honk back or do anything else. Just move away as soon as possible. Some of these people have underlying mental issues and reacting back can create dangerous situations that can lead to injuries or death.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I wouldn’t honk back or do anything else. Just move away as soon as possible. Some of these people have underlying mental issues and reacting back can create dangerous situations that can lead to injuries or death.
True. I'm just not a fan of my own life being put at risk. It's a shame we can't call people out on their behavior without putting our lives in danger. Some "society"

Old 09-28-2018, 03:49 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
What part of my statement leads you to believe that?
Your attitude. Honking is a form of road rage. When you drive in a big city, people are going to cut you off. Deal with it. If you can't deal with it, then don't drive. Take the bus or train instead.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:09 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Do you consider someone cutting you off that is merging onto the same freeway you merged onto and needs to get into the same lane as you and that might require a tiny adjustment to your speed? Or someone signaling to get into the same lane as you to get off the freeway that also might require a slight adjustment to your speed to facilitate that for them?

I’m not saying that you do but there are plenty of drivers out there who actually go out of their way with glee to ensure others are not able to otherwise safely move about lanes because it might require them to actually acknowledge that they are sharing the road with others.

Honking is done to warn someone of imminent danger, not to express anger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive