Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 06:52 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36_Chambers View Post
I sort of suspected that. Thank you.
As to "people attack when challenged regardless of right or wrong," That's the New Jersey way.

What would you like to know?

Also, big giant +1 about the horn.
If I am a Road Rager, I will enhance what I am doing that made you blow the horn.
If I am someone behind you or someone that got cut off by a Road Rager, I'll just slow down and think about what they *may* do next.

Leave the horn alone. It does nothing.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:58 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You and 36_Chambers seem to be hitting it off very well.

Nope. I'm just still saying the things that I've said before that strike home, and you don't like that.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:41 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,574,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Nope. I'm just still saying the things that I've said before that strike home, and you don't like that.
Maybe in your mind, they do, but there are a decent number of people in the threads we post in that find some of your positions outrageous and indefensible.

Granted, you're in Texas... I, of course, am in NJ. Thing is... You all can drive legally faster than we do (the 85MPH speed limit, for example.) NJians and NYers - Philly/Pennsylvania and Maryland and Massachusetts too, maybe even Connecticut, maybe - just drive fast out of habit, what we are used to, streets are basically drag races in all but the smallest and strictest towns (where they would mail you for 5 over, maybe even less.) Could look at that a few different ways, but it's reality. It's not like people don't speed because it is illegal. Now... If I ever make it out to Texas, to see one of my friends etc, I'm sure I would observe how they do. But that's a big "if" and my life will be better by then. Not sure if Texas is a whole different world, or if more people think like you, or if you're the stand-out thinker there too, but, your opinions surely do not constitute universal fact.

You're free to drive slow. You're free to drive the speed limit. But I'm entitled to use the passing lane to pass you. Have your driving style all day.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:47 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Maybe in your mind, they do, but there are a decent number of people in the threads we post in that find some of your positions outrageous and indefensible.

Granted, you're in Texas... I, of course, am in NJ. Thing is... You all can drive legally faster than we do (the 85MPH speed limit, for example.) NJians and NYers - Philly/Pennsylvania and Maryland and Massachusetts too, maybe even Connecticut, maybe - just drive fast out of habit, what we are used to, streets are basically drag races in all but the smallest and strictest towns (where they would mail you for 5 over, maybe even less.) Could look at that a few different ways, but it's reality. It's not like people don't speed because it is illegal. Now... If I ever make it out to Texas, to see one of my friends etc, I'm sure I would observe how they do. But that's a big "if" and my life will be better by then. Not sure if Texas is a whole different world, or if more people think like you, or if you're the stand-out thinker there too, but, your opinions surely do not constitute universal fact.

You're free to drive slow. You're free to drive the speed limit. But I'm entitled to use the passing lane to pass you. Have your driving style all day.

No argument there. And you are free to exceed the speed limit (whatever it is - if you think it's too low, get together with enough other people to get the law changed wherever you are) as long as you are adult enough to acknowledge that you have made a deliberate choice that the speed limit law does not apply to you for some reason AND that that is you choosing to do something wrong that has predictable consequences not only for you but for others AND you accept personal responsibility for those consequences. In other words, if you can't/won't do that, you're not adult enough to have a driver's license and are not the excellent driver you think you are.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:48 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,243,376 times
There's lots of reasons to use the horn. Most of the time when I use mine, it's because the other driver was completely oblivious that they nearly caused an accident. I've had people pull out in front of me, wander into my lane, attempt to reverse without looking to see if anyone is even behind them... All times I've used my horn to get their attention. Whether or not it incites "road rage" in them is not my concern.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:23 AM

39 posts, read 25,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yep, and if they OPs driving skill hasn't developed better than that in 20 years, it's probably not going to improve much now. Some people just shouldn't be driving.
I love how the person who follows the rules is the bad driver, and the one who drives like a maniac is in the right.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:26 AM

661 posts, read 881,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36_Chambers View Post
Question on road rage...

When I get cut off in traffic which happens often, I'll usually hit the horn. Drivers respond by giving the finger. Why are people reacting this way when they're the ones who have done something wrong? Are they unable to accept fault in their actions and instead react in an apologetic way? I don't see how someone can respond with such aggression when they are the ones at fault. Thoughts?
Not sure where are you from?
But here in the United States, hitting the horn is looking for trouble.
In places like Italy, Spain, Brazil, etc, is pretty normal to hit the horn.
So, do not hit the horn again.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:29 AM

39 posts, read 25,750 times
It's eye-opening how many people here are determined to justify the actions of an erratic and dangerous driver. They must operate that way themselves.

Moving on...instead of focusing on use of the horn (which was never my question in the first place), is anyone able to answer my initial question: why do people react with middle fingers and aggression when they're calling out on doing something wrong and dangerous? They are in the wrong. How can they be angry at someone else for their incorrect actions?

Old 09-29-2018, 08:32 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Not sure where are you from?
But here in the United States, hitting the horn is looking for trouble.
In places like Italy, Spain, Brazil, etc, is pretty normal to hit the horn.
So, do not hit the horn again.
The horn is a safety device and should be used to get the attention of other drivers (or pedestrians).

Old 09-29-2018, 08:44 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
I only really honk at people who are staring at their phone and about to make me miss the green light.

Also, there’s a BIG difference between a simple ‘beep’ and a long ‘HOOOONK’!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive